TiVo Demos iPad Video Streaming!

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by bradleys, Jan 10, 2012.

1. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
  2. NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    Central Mass.
    For me, this is WAY BIGGER than multi-room streaming across Premieres (since I'm on Fios, and don't have CCI-byte issues).

Please, please, please Tivo, make this come true!!

3. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    This is awesome.

I thought it was concluded here that this was technologically infeasible due to the horsepower needed to do the transcoding?

This is one feature I will embrace. I'm slowly starting to like my Tivo again! :)

4. comma splice

comma splice Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Just another reason I love my Slingbox! (Though I won't lie a native TiVo streaming app would be neat)

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Wow!!! Now this would be awesome! I've been having some trouble with my SlingBox (blown capacitors?) which I've been trying to use to stream TV into the bedroom when I'm falling asleep via iPad. (no TV in bedroom) If TiVo adds this ability then I can finally stop messing with the SlingBox and just stream directly from the TiVo.

Heck if this and the v20 update both turn out to be true I might actually consider replacing my S3 and Premiere units with an Elite.

Dan

6. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Wow. The article's just been updated with a photo of a Tivo transcoder that does the heavy-lifting.

7. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I hope this makes it to retail customers (along with the Preview)

8. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    It needs a dongle, which I'm sure TiVo will gladly sell to you:

[​IMG]

Yet another device to attach? Forget it! I was hoping they were either pumping the raw MPEG2 streams to the iPad or they were transcoding them down to a lower bitrate by using the MPEG 2 encoders built into the TiVo.

They should have waited for the S5 and built in proper H.264 encoders to pipe the video out to remote devices (Both LAN and internet based).

Also... looks like coax is being fed into the device? IS this a standalone thing? I don't think it depends on the TiVo for anything and this is a completely separate device, with it's own tuner?

9. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Why wait? And MPEG 2 is not nearly good enough. To get it to a bitrate good enough to stream, MPEG 2 would look like crap. They can always build this into the Series 5 (which who knows how long that is anyway). Feel free to wait until then, but I'm buying this as soon as it comes out :)

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Perhaps the idea is to have a combo TiVo extender (Preview) unit that also has H.264 transcoding capabilities for output to portable gadgets. I'm sure TiVo will find a way to charge monthly for it.

11. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I don't mind another device to attach, so long as it's properly integrated into the iPad app and the Tivo. I do want a solution that works with the Tivo app, so things like pause and play work without excessive lag. If it's something that merely encodes existing CATV or component video, then it's no better than a slingbox or equivalent, and I'd stick with what I already have.

12. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    What that thing needs is an HDMI output and a little remote too. ;)

13. NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    Central Mass.
    Same here.

Broadcom has been touting their new chip with built-in video transcoding at CES, but this external box makes it feasible for Tivo to get the functionality with existing Premieres, which do not have enough horsepower to do it in software.

14. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Wow. I think I crapped my pants.

15. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    TiVo reinforced to me MANY times this is "conceptual" and a "prototype" - so who knows what the final product, if there is any, would look like. Or who it'd be available to. But, yeah, I feel real fortunate to have the scoop since I'm not actually in Vegas this year for CES! I assume more details will trickle out as more folks are briefed.

16. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Dave- I'm wondering. It seems that TiVo is actively changing their culture of communications with both the media and users. Do you have the same thoughts in your dealings with them? I'm thinking that perhaps their new communications hire last year has something to do with it, and I'm hoping its a trend.

Sorry all for the off-topic question.

17. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    I am totally confused about the purple edged box.

What is it?
    What does it do?
    Do you need it to stream shows to the iPad?
    Does it connect to your TiVo box or is it standalone?

18. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I get the sense Magret participates because it's meaningful to her not because folks in some other department (Marketing/Communications) have instructed her to reach out. I appreciate it, but I don't know that it represents a broader shift. Having said that, TiVo allowing folks to talk publicly about the NEXT software update and to cover this prototype is unusual for them. Whereas in years past, I've received all sorts of info at CES. But large chunks of it weren't to be discussed until a later date. So perhaps their new communications director (#), who I've yet to meet, has something to do with this.

Well, it's just a prototype. And maybe its not purple, maybe it's Virgin Media red. The box transcodes and streams the video. Not sure if it's stand alone or tethered, but I assumed tethered. Who knows what the final solution, if there is one, will look like or if functionality is integrated into some future DVR.

19. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    crxssi has been saying for quite sometime that there is no way possible for the TiVo alone to stream to the iPad... (I have been saying it would be possible to use a TiVo desktop solution to provide the transcoding horsepower)

But this extra device is an interesting solution...

A Sling Box solo is ~$175 dollars, plus $30 for an iPad app. What would you pay for this add on device?

$100? $150? Interesting thought....

20. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Technically, I think it'd be possible. Maybe not elegant or efficient, but doable with the current hardware. But TiVo would not want to do anything to even remotely disrupt the core DVR experience and there'd be some risk of crushing the box. But let's say the skipped the transcode and went MPEG2 only, as with MRS or MRV, they'd probably only be able to successfully stream that to a custom iPad decoder *in SD* as El Gato does with their HDHomeRun prime app. So doable, but maybe not desirable. Also, who knows who this box or a future integrated solution would be offered to. Maybe it's only for MSO partners like RCN. And would they permit beyond-the-home streaming? We shall see... :)

DirecTV launched the Nomad at $150, not sure what it is now. Also not sure what Comcast will charge for Motorola Televation/AnyPlay.