tivo delivering infomercials?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tomhorsley, Apr 8, 2011.

1. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm not sure what the heck I saw this morning at about 5:30 am. I was wondering why the red light was on the front of the tivo since there was no other indication that anything was recording, and while I was switching between tuners to see if I could get an idea, I saw what looked like credits rolling that had the animated tivo icon at the bottom, a picture of a tivo menu screen in the background, and text scrolling that said something about this program being produced exclusively for tivo users.

Is tivo stealing infomercial time from cable like cable steals it from broadcast?

About that time the red light finally went off, and I didn't see anything of the tivo credits anymore.

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    It's the videos and stuff that show up with the yellow star in the menus.

3. alansh

alansh Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's not exactly stealing -- TiVo buys infomercial time from a cable network (usually Discovery, though it's shown up on on other networks too).

And yes, TiVo has been doing this for years, its nothing new. This was how video was delivered back when updates were only available over dial-up. It's still cheaper to distribute video this way than paying for the bandwidth for downloads.

The infomercials are used for the video included in the showcases. They do not preempt anything you might have scheduled to record at 3am. They also don't occupy regular recording space, there's a separate area reserved for them. Nothing will ever be deleted to make room for them.

TiVo also has the capability of sending schedule information via infomercial, but they haven't used it for a while.

4. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    They still buy TV time not only on Discovery Channel, but also, several local stations across the U.S. for those who do not have cable, so it is a very expensive thing to do and for the last several week, TiVo had only purchased a half-hour of the TV time instead of the full hour (the 2nd half-hour is a repeat of almost all the same material as the first half-hour), but--coincidetally??--when they got the loan money to carry-on its legal fights for its patents, the full hour was once again booked.

I have to disagree and say that if TiVo could, it would send the Showcase video via broandband as it really is much less expensive than buying all that time on all those locals stations, but the problem is that a lot of TiVo subs are NOT connected to broadband and TiVo has too much invested in the Showcases for its clients and MUST get the videos out to ALL the subs as that is how TiVo can charge more to its clients. Keep in mind that most of the stuff is in SD and it would be sent compressed and as a file download, not steamed: That is efficient. The current infomercial time guarantees that everyone has access to the videos so long as no other recordings are set and the user doesn't stop the feed during recording.