TiVo deleting Shows for no reason?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by PSU_Sudzi, Jun 2, 2017.

1. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs

Advertisements

I had recordings on my TiVo of MasterChef and F Word with Gordon Ramsay from Wed. night and being anal retentive, they were on again tonight, and I set them to record so I could sort them by episode (I know, it's ridiculous). Was watching other shows and flipping around and went back to my list of shows and the MC and F Word from Wed. night we're both gone, all that remained was the progress on the current recording of MC, and the repeat of F Word had not yet started but was in my to do list. I checked my delete folder and it was empty and checked the history folder and both of these recordings are not listed. Space is not an issue as I am only using 3% of the drive. Has this happened to anyone else before?

2. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Any chance they are not grouped in the same folder?

Sometimes when the guide data is bad they don't get ungrouped.

Alternatively, did you look at TiVo history to see if anything shows up about the disposition of those recordings?

3. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    A folder grouping is what I was expecting--seeing two copies of the same episode of the same show. But what happened is the first copy of MasterChef was gone--and not in the deleted folder nor any evidence that it existed at all in the history folder. And the episode of the F Word was gone also.

4. Bwana

Bwana Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Have you used pyTivo/kmttg/tivo desktop to transfer shows to your tivo?
    It's concerning that your deleted folder is empty. There is a known issue where transferred shows are counted as much larger than they really are when determining when to delete old shows.

5. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs

Advertisements

My deleted folder is almost always empty as I go through and prune it a couple of times a week. I've used pyTiVo and kmttg before but haven't transferred any shows recently. I only have about 15 shows total on the TiVo so it's not possible I deleted these by mistake as I would've noticed and seen them as deleted in history or deleted items folder.

6. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    This might be something that was never QA'd. I'd stop doing it to see if that fixes the problem.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You might consider my compromise. I record late night. I delete them after watching the next day. I record prime time, watch it on weekends and permanently delete each week. So in effect my Recently Delete folder has just late night. At this time there are 138 programs there going back to 3/1/17. When it gets to about 150, I check to see if my March 1 programs are gone, indicating a full drive. If so, I delete the entire month of March. Why?

I feel keeping the Recently Deleted folder empty causes a small portion of the disk to be in continuous use. While it's true you have 3 hours reserved for your trick play recordings and that's static when you run guided setup, so it's always in use. But with 1TB in my Roamio I'm not getting any errors. When I cleared that folder weekly, I started having playback errors and changed the drive to stop them. Something to ponder.

BTW, all my 1P are set to keep all shows. No yellow dots that way.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.