Tivo deleting folders

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by campbeji, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1 of 11
    campbeji

campbeji New Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Hi all,

I have looked through the other threads but could find no mention of this, so maybe its just me:(

I finish watching a show, tonight for example it was the series finale of Stargate Universe, and as usual I hit the delete now option. The show deletes OK but the rest of the folder also goes away along with the other 3 unwatched shows in the folder. I'm not meaning that I have deleted them by accident, the folder and all contents just go away, they are not in the recently deleted folder, they are just gone. This has happened to me 4 times now, the first 2 times I didn't really notice, the third time I new there was a problem and tonight just confirms it.

Anyone else having this problem? I must admit this is a worry as I am afraid of losing an important show, so far it has been some of the kids shows, a third line recording (stuff I watch if I'm not going to be concentrating, background noise) and tonight I lost the Stargate Universe folder, this is number 3 in the Series Link, THE show I watch when everyone is out and I have the house to myself. Thank goodness I had just watched the series finale and there was only 3 repeats left in the folder. I'm really worried I am going to lose something with a whole season recorded that I haven't watched yet.

Thanks
    Jim

2. Nov 8, 2011 #2 of 11
    microbe

microbe New Member

Nov 23, 2002
    Wolverhampton
    I'd put money on the other 3 having been suggestions and will still be in the suggestions folder?
    Think I noted something similar a while back, ironically with SGU as well!

3. Nov 8, 2011 #3 of 11
    mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    That was my thought too,
    IMO it isn't as easy as the S1 to distinguish suggestions from normal recordings.

I'd also prefer it if there was an option to group suggestions by folders,
    They are only added to a folder with normal recordings, not capable of making a folder on their own.

4. Nov 8, 2011 #4 of 11
    cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    When you delete a folder of recordings, a pop-up reminds you that this will delete the shows "from all folders". So, unless it's a lie or a bug.... ;)

5. Nov 8, 2011 #5 of 11
    mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Er, no the situation is this:

1 normal recording + 2 suggestions => tivo makes a folder to show 3 items

Folder stargate:
    Stargate - Normal recording
    Stargate - suggestion
    Stargate - suggestion

Watch and delete that single normal recording, and tivo then no longer shows a stargate folder,
    and the two suggestions are then only shown in the suggestions folder.

The folder rule is :

If 2 or more shows of the same name exist,
    with at least one of them being a non-suggestion.
    then a folder is created.

Multiple suggestions for the same show can't make a folder of their own.

6. Nov 8, 2011 #6 of 11
    cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Ahh. Okay :) I never use suggestions so mis-understood.

7. Nov 8, 2011 #7 of 11
    deshepherd

deshepherd New Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Bristol, UK
    And to hit the jackpot you need to record something on BBC and find a folder with

program on BBC1 HD - requested recording
    same program on BBC1 - suggestion
    same program on BBC1 regional or AD - another suggestion

8. Nov 9, 2011 #8 of 11
    kmusgrave

kmusgrave New Member

Oct 13, 2000
    Isleworth, UK
    Points of View has been doing this over the last few weeks. Even if you remove the extra episodes from todo list more add themselves a few minutes later.

I think they may have fixed this though as I don't think this has happened this week.

9. campbeji

campbeji New Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Hi all,

Its taken a while for me to come back about this, but I'm pretty sure that this is what happened.

The thing is that I don't understand why the programmes were recorded as suggestions, OK I know why a suggestion is recorded but with these shows I would have thought they would have been recorded as part of the Series Link, it is(was) setup to record new and re-run episodes :confused:

I guess there is differences in the new Tivo that just keeps catching me, like it took me ages to remember the play button was in a different place, I kept clicking on the My shows button at the most awkward times :)

Thanks all
    Jim

10. Tavis75

Tavis75 New Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Could it have been that they were shown on a different channel to the one your series link was set up on?

11. campbeji

campbeji New Member

Oct 30, 2004
    OK, looks like I'm 0 for 2 here :rolleyes: Yes the suggestions were on a different channel, I just checked, I didn't notice that before.

Thanks for the help everyone, glad my wee Yivo isn't broken.

Jim