Tivo customer since 2001, NO More...Tivo customer service is terrible

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sac84371, Jun 27, 2019.

1. sac84371

sac84371 Lost In Space

Jan 23, 2003
    Greater...
    I have been a customer with Tivo since December 2001. Multiple units all with Lifetime all the while upgrading to the newer technology when desired. I have had little to no problems with any of my units and have 100% enjoyed my experience even going as far as to recruit dozens of people to enjoy the "Tivo," experience. Until today....

My Roamio which has worked flawlessly for the past 3 plus years with zero issues along with 2 mini's but all are now a flakey mess. This is after my units were "upgraded," to hydra just a few days ago. The problems started within hours of the upgrade, freezing on live TV is the main culprit requiring a power down then up to get the units back.

I called into Tivo for customer support which was literally the first time in over 10 years and I was told that the "hardware," was defective and needed to be replaced. I was dumbfounded by this conclusion as the service advisor ran zero diagnostics test and only asked me 3 questions. It was as if they were reading from a script. I pushed them to learn more prior to making a conclusion as these units have performed without issue for the past 3 years and suddenly don't function after a upgrade which was pushed to my units (yes, I didn't request a hydra upgrade, it was pushed).

Fast forward 5 days later and Tivo followed up, again no additional diagnostics were done, they didn't even pull the systems log, they stated once again it was a hardware issue without any supporting data. They also told me that the replacement unit would cost me $149 for the refurbished unit and $199 to transfer my lifetime service. I was in shock, that I was expected to pay for damage to my perfectly working Tivo after "they," pushed a not-ready for primetime software upgrade. Tivo wouldn't budge and basically kept reading from a prepared script.

So today marks my last day supporting Tivo as a customer and as an advocate. I can't be alone with experience and if this is any indication of what is going on at Tivo I believe the best of Tivo is in the rearview mirror and the end is closer than we thing. Sad day.

2. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Did you try rolling back to TE3?

3. Sptrader

Sptrader Member

Oct 7, 2017
    I'd just remove hydra and see if the problem goes away.

4. sac84371

sac84371 Lost In Space

Jan 23, 2003
    Greater...
    I asked about that option and I was told repeatedly that what I was experiencing was a hardware issue and that reverting back to a prior software version was possible but wouldn't fix my issue. I asked specifically what is the issue with my hardware, is it the hard drive or another component. I was told we can not disclose that information and our units are not user serviceable so the information would not be helpful. I once again pushed them to provide me insight into what was going on as all I was asked was, "Did you uplug your ethernet cord and restart the unit, did you unplug the power cord and wait 30 seconds, is your unit plugged into a wall socket direct." Yes I followed your troubleshooting guide and the issue persists. "Well it is a hardware issue so the cost will be $149 and $199 (which was repeated no less than 5 times to make sure I got it.)

5. Sptrader

Sptrader Member

Oct 7, 2017
    If it worked prior to Hydra, it's only logical that rolling back should be your first choice. If it still has issues, THEN consider repair or replacement, new HD etc.

6. sac84371

sac84371 Lost In Space

Jan 23, 2003
    Greater...
    Agreed, and I will attempt. And I appreciate you being solution oriented. I must say it doesn't discount the road that Tivo went down in the first place. Feels like a very different company. I will report back after the roll-back.

7. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Make sure you back up any recordings (and 1P?) before rolling back.

krkaufman likes this.
  8. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Essex...
    I agree with your frustration, but I concur that you should just rollback to TE3 and then see what happens. For what it's worth, I have NEVER, EVER dealt with TiVo Support. The only support I have ever sought was from this forum. If I am ever forced to upgrade my Bolt to TE4 I may need to reevaluate things. But, really, it's easy enough to open boxes up and replace things on your own. Granted, with the bolt, yeah, you may break a few plastic clips in the process but I digress. And while I would lose recordings if I needed to replace a HD, it's so super easy to do it I Tend not to worry too much anymore.

PCurry57 likes this.
  9. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Because it is, Rovi bought them and then took on the Tivo name, this is not the Tivo of old, that's long gone.
    Not that this is any comfort, but you'll find since the Rovi purchase customer support is pretty much useless but as always TCF to the rescue.

ClayKY and PCurry57 like this.
  10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ^^THIS^^

The rollback to TE3 involves a factory reset, wiping all settings and recordings. KMTTG can backup your OnePasses for restoration after the rollback, and you can use KMTTG or PyTivo to offload unprotected recordings for watching offline, or use PyTivo after the rollback to upload the recordings back to your box.

11. Charles R

Charles R Active Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    Not defending the current level of support however I don't find it much different than the level of support I have received for close to two decades. On a one to ten it has pretty much been around a three based on perhaps a half dozen calls over the years. That is outside of line-up changes (recently had a couple) which have been rather painless and quick.

12. RIX527

RIX527 Member

May 29, 2019
    Do you prefer KMTTG or PyTivo to offload unprotected recordings from a TiVo? I want to eliminate the need for a PC and found a method to install PyTivo on a Synology NAS. I’m just not sure if I can use that version of PyTivo to offload. It only mentioned uploading media to TiVo. See the link below. I’m looking for the best method to offload recordings to my Synology NAS media server for use with Emby or Plex, without the need for a PC.

Half a Page of Scribbled Linux :: pyTivo on Synology DS411+II

13. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    I have the same question in inverse if I may intrude here thanks.
    I've been off loading my shows with kmttg to my PC. Eventually I plan on moving them back to my TiVo to view since Plex doesn't support fast play trick play or whatever so streaming is a no-go for me. What is the best way to move shows back to my TiVo? My bolt is still on T03, so I know I can do one program at a time from my TiVo interface. Just wondering about the best other options, thx!

14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    PyTivo is the only option now for moving shows back. And it only works with the old UI not Hydra

15. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I'm rather surprised that no one commented on the OP's claim that Hydra was pushed to his TiVo without him asking/opting for it. How in the hell did that happen? I'm going to make a wild guess that TiVo didn't push Hydra to the OP, but something went awry on his unit.

16. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Most common scenario is someone in the household selecting the upgrade since it takes several clicks, there were some hydra beta units that re-upgraded by a Tivo mistake a year or so ago, but there have not been spontaneous upgrades reported yet at TCF and so far Tivo's policy is still you only get Hydra on a TE3 machine if you select it.

17. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    My cable company TiVo was automatically upgraded to Hydra some time ago with no user interaction.

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That's a different animal, but @dianebrat's statement regarding TiVo's policy remains ... since it was your cable company that made the decision on your behalf. Retail users have choice in the matter, those leasing their TiVo boxes from their cable provider do not ... along with a lot of other differences between leased and retail features and autonomy.

Bigg and dianebrat like this.