Tivo customer service

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Phyl, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Phyl

Phyl New Member

Dec 22, 2016

Advertisements

I am a new Tivo customer. I am technically literate. My experience with Tivo customer service is absolutely the worst experience I have ever had with a vendor.

I encountered problems with my account where the support person, it turns out, *knew* that the problems were inside Tivo and could only be fixed inside Tivo, yet sent me off to call my bank. When I finally tracked the problem down and called Tivo support back and spoke to another rep, she said, "oh, yes, we have that problem all the time." 90 minutes down the drain.

That pales in comparison to my experience with tech support. I spent a day dealing *unsuccessfully* with false N11 and N13 networking errors being generated by problems in the Tivo computer at Tivo Galactic Headquarters, yet all tech support wanted to do was reboot everything, or point fingers at somebody else, like fictitious port-forwarding problems in my router (which did not exist) or fictitious problems with blocked IP addresses at my ISP (which also did not exist). Tech support's solution to every problem is it is someone else's fault. Each and every one of my tech support phone calls was ended by disconnection. 4.5 hours down the drain. This problem was only resolved when the Tivo-internal computer problem was fixed the next day.

Tivo tech support has been off-shored to the Philippines, and there is no Tivo service in the Philippines. YOU CAN'T *USE* A TIVO BOX IN THE PHILIPPINES. So none of the Filipinos providing Tivo tech support have actually *used* a Tivo. If your problem goes beyond plugging it in or rebooting it, you are hosed. THIS IS WORTH REPEATING. The Tivo tech support person you are speaking to in the Philippines has never actually used a Tivo.

So far I think my Tivo *box* is a pretty good product, but if you ever need anything from a Tivo employee, you are completely hosed.

My advice to any potential Tivo customer is this. The product is pretty good, but you are playing Russian Roulette. If you have any kind of glitch, Tivo support will set upon you and gleefully torture you.

I have a suggestion for any Tivo manager reading this. Why don't you move tech support to Somalia? It will be cheaper than in the Philippines. Give each Somali a script that says reboot your router. That will save on photocopying costs.

2. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    That's exactly spot on. Somebody who never had laid eyes on a TiVo (except via a computer screen) is not likely to be a tech support with TiVo.

Having said this, there are still US-based tech support people with TiVo. If you get a Filipino tech support, hang up and dial again. You are more likely to get a US based support person during regular PT business hours, Monday to Friday.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    You must not call support services very much if this was your worst experience. However, I feel your pain and wasting time always sucks.

I always request a higher level of support if I don't believe the front line, with Tivo, Apple, HTC, westinghouse, anyone.

I very much doubt the individual you were speaking with "knowingly" gave you wrong information. I very much doubt most CSRs working for any outfit actually use the devices they support.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Silly me--I would think that should be a no-option requirement. What, they don't get a company discount? ;)

5. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT

Advertisements

Yes, but they don't want to deal with the TiVo CSRs ;)

6. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    They are likely contractors even if situated in the US. And, corporate discounts are not always what you would expect.

How much do you think these CSRs would be making? Tivo, even with a discount, is a significant expense. If they received a free employee box, it would not surprise me to find many of those sold into the secondary market.

7. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I was only half-serious as to the company discount. But totally serious that every tech. rep. has to be fluent with the article as to which help is being offered, through use.

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Nice pie-in-the-sky thought but, coming down to earth now, what is a practical mechanism for enforcing that?

9. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Umm, like any job, you hire the person and if the person doesn't have the capability, you train him/her? And with a consumer electronics product, for heaven's sake, you could leave the person alone in a room with the product for some hours/a day to get the basics down, if not much more.

10. samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    They know nothing about networking and never did. SAD. "N" error codes? I have broadband and use Moca. Only problems usually ARE THEM! I called on Tue for the first time in a very long time to complain about the guide data (I had had it when all the late night shows did not record on monday and never called since they switched to Rovi and I did connect in the afternoon) and they have some new number and I did get a lady with an accent and she was useless and I asked for a supervisor and I got a guy who was in Sales Retention! Now he knew a lot and told me he even had a Series 2 in his basement. He took the complaint. We had a nice chat.

The person who started this thread never said what Tivo he had or his connection type. Whatever. We just have to hope they get better and stay in business. I love my Roamio Pro, even though I think the video quality is not as good as the X1. At least that is my observation from my friends X1. His flatscreen is a bit better than mine, but there should not be that big a difference. We are both on Comcast, although not on the same Head End.

I COULD WRITE A BOOK ABOUT TIVO TECH SUPPORT AS WELL AS MANY OF YOU OUT THERE TOO...:rolleyes::eek:o_O:mad::p:D

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    But I said a practical mechanism. Doing what you say, even if enough workers of the required quality could be found, would cost so much that TiVo would have to double all their prices, for boxes and services.

12. alexb

alexb Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    I currently have X1 and TiVo Bolt+ connected to same output -i haven't seen any meaningful difference. I did notice banding in the grey fade backgrounds on the opening credits of westworld on the TiVo. I forgot to check if the X1 is the same.

What format are the .tivo files? Does the tivo save the stream native (like a windows media center box does) or does it transcode to some other format to save to disk?

13. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    It would "cost so much" to train workers on how a TiVo works, for a day or less? As I said, put 'em in a room with the device for half a day or day and let them self-discover. Or actually have someone walk them through the device, for half a day. This would "double all their prices"? Really (and with what many of these workers get paid)?

And then problems might actually get solved when customers call, shortening the time the TiVo reps. have to spend with them and lowering the price of the support. Avoiding returns--ever notice how some manfs. put a bright-colored notice in the box with a consumer electronics good essentially begging consumers to call tech. support rather than returning the item?--and actually garnering further sales.

14. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yeah, I stick with my comment. I think you're way underestimating what it would take. Just teaching someone "how a TiVo works" is barely the beginning. They have to learn all the ways TiVo can NOT work and how to troubleshoot. And paying them more just makes it cost more, of course. And don't forget the additional cost of managerial time to plan and administer the training. If you say "Well that's no additional cost, the existing managers can just add that to their workload", you will hear loud derisive laughter in the halls of TiVo, I think.

No, bare minimum tech support has proved to be a necessary part of the business model for relatively low cost technically complex products with moderate production volumes.

15. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, yes, it will cost something. But, no, it will not double the cost. And costs will be recouped, to a degree, through increased sales, returns not being made, and satisfied customers. There has to be a happy medium--and tech. reps. who do not know how the machine works and who never have operated one is not it.

16. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    OK, maybe doubling the cost was an exaggeration. But hiring, training and managing the really good support you want would add substantially to cost, perhaps 20% or more. That would decrease TiVo sales a lot. Most consumer electronics customers don't consider quality of tech support when they purchase a product, and thus won't pay more for it. The amount of attention support quality gets on this forum isn't representative of typical TiVo purchasers.

17. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, I'm not even talking that level of support--I'm talking the reps. who never have even touched the machine! Just put 'em in a room with the box for a day . . . .

18. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    You must have no experience in managing a customer facing operation. It's very easy to say how a human operation should work. But humans, being what we are, make things much more difficult than writing up guides and requiring training.

19. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    And something is better than nothing, thanks.

20. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    One would think!

I can't even imagine taking a job as a tech person, yet having no knowledge of the exact hardware/software I'm teching for. That just doesn't even compute for me. Either you come in with, or obtain, experience with the hardware/software or you have extensive training which, I would imagine, also involves engaging in the use of said machines. Is that just old thinking from when I was younger and expected to know my job? Has that become obsolete? </rhetorical>

I've learned years ago, regarding all different types of machines, that calling customer service or tech service is generally an exercise in futility. I'm hard-pressed to even do so until I cannot figure something out on my own or find the answer online on my own.

But, Tivo used to have very good customer and tech service. Those days seem to be gone for about a year now.