Tivo Customer Service is terrible! - (cancel order)

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jikan11, Sep 19, 2006.

1. jikan11

jikan11 New Member

Jan 20, 2006

Advertisements

Ok, I know there are probably a ton of threads on the horrible service tivo has in terms of customer service, but I want to vent now so here is mine!

I will say this, I have a series 2 tivo currently, I am on my 11th month of my year commitment, I wanted to get a series 2 dual tuner Tivo to make recording shows easier for me with all the conflicting programs I like to watch.

On Friday morning I placed my order, waited and waited. Finally on Monday I received an email confirming my order, about time I thought. I called monday to see if they could tell me when the box would ship, they said it will go out tonight! I was excited, well tonight came and gone and tomorrow happened. I called Tivo back to find out if it shipped because I never got the shipping email they told me I would get. After waiting on hold an hour and a half I hung up because I had to go to an appointment. I got back, called customer service back up, waited another 30 minutes, finally got a hold of one guy and asked about the status of my order. He said "it shows that it shipped" and I asked for a tracking number, he said he doesn't see one, at that point I said I need some sort of shipment tracking information or to cancel my order. He said, I'll give you a case # and you can call back later tonight to see if it shipped yet. At that point I said, if you can't tell me the tracking info, then cancel my order now, if I Call back later I'll have to wait on hold for another 30 minutes only to find out I've been charged and it really is to late to do anything about it. He said "one moment while I process your request" and I heard on hold music once again, about 10 minutes later a woman answered and said that she was the supervisor and asked what I wanted, I said to get the tracking info or cancel my order, she said you can't cancel an order and I explained to her I wanted to see exactly where it says on my order email confirmation or on line it says that. She said go to the tivo website and search for "13-06-04", so I did and saw that it says

How can I cancel or change my order?

All orders are processed as soon as possible. We're sorry, but your order cannot be changed or canceled once it has been placed.

Well at that point I said, well that isn't exactly easy to find that now is it? And she didn't respond, so I confirmed she couldn't cancel my order and she said once again, correct. So I asked if my card had been charged yet and she said "No it hasn't" and I said "Good, because once you try to charge it, it will be reported as lost or stolen and the charge will not go through unless of course you can tell me that there is a fee for that!" She said "no there is no fee for that". So I called my bank immediatly after that, told them the scenario and they let me report the card as lost and deactivated that account number.

It's a shame, all I wanted was to cancel that order so I could go to a local store and pick up a Tivo unit so I wouldn't have to wait any longer, now because of this crummy service I am debating cancelling my current tivo at the end of this month which will thankfully be the end of my contract with them.

Like I said, the service is excellent in terms of what Tivo can do. But they fail miserably in the customer service area. I really think with them being as big as they are they need some serious improvements or else they will lose the very customers they rely on to survive.

Some may say I didn't give them enough time, but I feel like I did. I ordered Friday morning, they had all day friday, saturday, sunday and monday to get it shipped, they promised me monday it would ship. Tuesday, they told me the same thing they told me on monday. This is the SECOND TIME I had this issue with them, about 12 months between occurances!! I don't think it's to much to ask for tracking info, or if they could have told me the card was charged, the tivo was ready to go and it would be shipped that night I would have been content, but they had no clue when it would ship. And since they hadn't billed my card, I know it isn't close to shipping since they can't bill you until they have it ready to ship.

I love my Tivo, I hate the customer service.

2. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    TiVo's CS sure does suck. :(

Didn't someone say it's illegal for them not to allow canceling before the order has shipped? You might want to check some of the other threads for a link to file a complaint with the FTC.

I guess I still don't understand why you had to cancel? What was so urgent about the purchase?

3. jikan11

jikan11 New Member

Jan 20, 2006
    I didn't "HAVE" to cancel, I wanted to. I am getting married soon and we are getting ready to leave for our wedding which is in another state, we are then going on a cruise, the point of the dual tuner was to record shows while we are gone so we don't miss any and can relax when we get back, spend a day or two catching up, etc. I didn't appreciate that I was lied to by customer service when they told me it would ship out Monday, that was really the main reason for wanting to cancel, they told me it would ship, it didn't. Then today they were no help and couldn't tell me when it would ship. For all I know it would show up the day after we are out of town, will be left on our door step, get stolen, etc which I know I would not be liable if it was stolen since I never signed for it, but that is more crap I would have to deal with.

I just want to call a company, get through to a person in a timely manner, get a satisfactory answer and I'm a happy person. Don't make me wait on hold over an hour, tell me then to call back later to maybe get an update on if it shipped, and refuse to offer any useful information. If they can't do that I really don't want to do business with them. I would "gulp" almost rather use my old VCR! ;)

By the way, there are MANY companies out there that have superior customer service, I'm not one of those people that are mad at every company and think every company has done wrong. This is just a terrible experience from Tivo.

4. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Yeah, I have no idea why TiVo is doing such an awful job with this. Hopefully this supposed new system they implemented (the purported reason for the shipping troubles this and last week) will help. If not, they need to get out of the business of seeling hardware...

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

no consolation to you but last week the Series 3 fianlly was available at tivo.com. It was a hotly anticipated new product from TiVo and they were flooded with orders, had implemented a new order processing system to deal with the load and generally became two to 4 days behind in processing within an hour of starting online sales of the S3.

two weeks earlier and most likely you would have been talking about how fast they shipped it out. Unfortunately instead with the bad timing you are stuck in the middle of the S3 shipping mess. not your problem or fault just the background of what was going on.

6. Rooster

Rooster New Member

Oct 21, 2002
    You order, 1 business day later they say it'll ship that night, the next day you call and they confirm it has shipped (all sounds kosher so far). So were you just throwing a tantrum because they didn't have your tracking number in their system yet? Sounds petty to me. Just because the CSR didn't have a tracking number handy doesn't mean that it hadn't shipped yet. It's also not that odd that they'd refuse to cancel an order after they've already shipped it to you.

I'm no TiVo appologist (I'm actually pretty dissapointed with the last update's performance issues), but I don't really see anything they did wrong here other than having a long wait time.

7. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I actually ordered another S2 DT on the same day the S3 was released. I had no problems getting order confirmation or the tracking #. The item came very quickly as well. I tend to think they used a different company to handle the S3 orders. Otherwise mine would of been affected as well.

8. TiVoPhish

TiVoPhish New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Jikan,

Sounds to me like you have very unrealistic expectations. I can't say whether TiVo's CS is good or bad these days, but your issue is really a non-issue.

Standard shipping methods (Fedex, DHL, UPS) is going to ship next BUSINESS day. Not on Saturday or Sunday. You order Friday morning, it'll ship Monday. Calling Tuesday and having a temper tantrum when we're dealing with one business day sounds a little silly.

I understand if you needed it quickly, but then you should just have gone the retail route in the first place. If you were saying you called them a week later and it still hadn't shipped, and you hadn't received reasonable communications and explanations, fine. But dude, it was one day.

Me thinks your impending wedding might be stressing you out a bit ;)

9. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    To be fair, from my read of the OP (and of course taking into consideration that the OP is going to paint the rosiest picture of his own actions and paint the most nefarious picture of TiVo's actions), I don't see this as a good example of bad customer service.

My read is that the OP made unacceptably rash decisions and didn't do enough research before making the purchase. The "tell me what I want to know now or else" routine was very confrontational and I feel relatively unreasonable, when dealing with a small company like TiVo. Saying, specifically, "well that isn't exactly easy to find that now is it?" is unequivocally confrontation -- downright provocative. The next bit, threatening to cancel the credit card, was outrageous. Cancelling a credit card when you know that charges you did indeed authorize (though regret) are coming through should be illegal IMHO -- I see it as little different from cancelling a check that you know that the payee is going to cash.

I think customers should be held up to as high of a standard as they hold companies up to. How would you feel if a company that you called for pre-sales information pressured you to buy now or get off the telephone? How would you feel about a customer service agent being snarky with you? How would you feel if you cashed a rebate check only to have it returned for insufficient funds?

TiVo isn't perfect, but I think this thread points out just what is wrong with us, the customers, not what is wrong with them. I'm no TiVo apologist either. Check out some of the other threads and you'll see that I feel they've really messed up with the Series 3, on many levels. This, however, isn't one of them.

10. leftcoastjayhawk

leftcoastjayhawk New Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Bicker, I beg to differ. (heh, heh - sorry, I could not resist...:)

The OP clearly stated the problem was TiVos poor customer service related to their inability and unwillingingness to provide shipping information, not delivery time. Plus, TiVo hides its cancellation policy to make it even more difficult for customers to take action when TiVo's service is bad.

Frankly, I for one, applaud the OP's willingness to cancel his credit card in order to prevent TiVo from charging him for products and services they had not delivered. TiVo's cancellation policy (or lack of) is unreasonable and should not be supported.

11. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Oh, your getting married. That explains everything. It's all about "venting" about the little insignificant things because you don't want to discuss the real "elephant in the room" - just keep ignoring it. You're doing a great job so far.

12. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Not to pick sides here, but I'm glad that I'll never have business dealings with the OP.

13. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Yes I know -- which I believe was an unacceptably rash action and based, at least in part, on being uninformed.

Oh gosh. [SARCASM]He actually had to read something to learn about the terms and conditions of the multi-hundred dollar purchase being made. [/SARCASM] Sorry, no sympathy there. It's the same old cop-out that folks with buyer's remorse chant every time they want to shift responsibility for something onto someone else -- all because they don't want to take their responsibilities as a buyer seriously.

14. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    He was going to get the DT, however the goal was to have it up and running while they are gone. If TiVo had not charged his card, most likely it has not shipped, Right? He should call TiVo if he does receive the box to workout shipping the TiVo pack.

15. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Gilbert Arizona
    People who say they love TiVo and then threaten to leave when the commitment is up, is a joke. If you really like TiVo then it shouldn't matter if the CS people are bad. The TiVo service far out weights the CRAPPY cs people any day of the week.

16. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    If I'm not mistaken, if you buy a DT TiVO through TiVo inc, I think they make you get a bundled deal. In light of this, especially since you already have another TiVo, I think you're better of buying thru retail and only paying $6.95 per month for the service.

17. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    My credit card was charged 2 days after I received my DT Tivo. Many items I purchase online don't get charged to my cc until sometime after it has shipped, usually before it arrives - but not always.

The OP got his panties on a wad over nothing.

18. TivoNM

TivoNM New Member

Oct 19, 2005

Did you know that if payment is not received and a customer is within contract, their service is not cancelled within 30 days of activation (activates during shipping, at this time card is charged) account will auto cancel and that customer is sent to collections. If the customer receives the unit, cancel service, but doesn't get that box back in the stated time frame at time of cancellation, the card on file is charge the retail price of the unit. Once again, if the card can't be charged, the customer is sent to collections.

Also, which shipping option did the OP choose? If it was 1 day or even 2 day, I could understand, however, when you place an order on line it states to allow 48 hours for the order to process, plus if the OP chose ground shipping that is an additional 5-7 business days that the customer could wait to receive the order.
    Don't blame tivo cs for not having the tracking number. They are not the warehouse and don't ship them out themselves. They rely on another company's system to have that info imported into their system. If they don't have access to the tracking number there is nothing the CS can do. Sounds to me like the agent told you as much as they knew, with in the time frame that you called cu, your order should've shipped. Things could've been worded differently so that the OP didn't think it absolutely without fail went out, but we are human, could've been a new agent, or could've been an agent that had been dealing with who knows how many calls asking the same thing, only about the Series 3 not the DT.

19. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    Maybe there's some mythical great PVR company that works out of the magic forest, but where exactly is a customer going to leave to that offers great customer service? Cable or Satellite?

lol

-smak-

20. sdzc

sdzc New Member

Sep 3, 2005

Absolutely NOT an excuse that is feasible. Tivo should have known that they would get a heavier order volume and made plans to deal with it, by increasing the number of people handling orders and working more hours to handle the increase. This should have been transparent to their customers.