Tivo Customer Service is going down hill!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Conodor, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Aug 4, 2008 #1 of 34
    Conodor

Conodor New Member

Apr 13, 2006

Advertisements

I have a lifetime account series 2. and someone gives me a box they no longer use. i do some fast googling and find the price was $6.99 to add a box so i start the online process, and then it says $9.99. So i call to ask why i seen a difference.

I call the number add another tivo box, i'm on hold for 10 seconds... explain that i want to add another box but i'm confused on the 2 different prices. the lady explains that the price raised a few months ago for multi accounts. I say ok then forget it, i won't use the box enough to justify the $10 a month, it would sit in my basement and rarely be used.

The lady says i can escalate this and you can talk to someone in the cancelation department and he/she might be able to give you a better price.

1 FREAKING HOUR LATER!!! a guy finally answers and says the exact same thing the lady told me!

FIRST:
    Why 10 seconds hold for adding an account... but 1 hour cancelling? is there THAT many people cancelling Tivo and that few getting new ones?

Second:
    Why put me on hold for an hour... just to tell me the same damn thing!

I was fine not adding it before the hour hold... but putting me on hold to tell me nothing different... i really got ticked off!

this was my favorite quote from the rep

Me: "i have a lifetime tivo, and a free DVR from my cable company, i want a 3rd one i can get the cable one 1/2 the cost of Tivo"

REP: "we pioneered DVR, if it wasn't for Tivo there would be no DVR"

Me: "So since you pioneered the DVR, you think you can charge anything and not worry about competition, you won't have a company in a few years if you keep that attitude!"

2. Aug 5, 2008 #2 of 34
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    1: They recently started using a new CSR company, so they need to get up to speed.

2: What you want to do will cost $9.95/month, as that is the price for MSD, since last November. They probably had to ask a supervisor to be sure, or see if a deal could be made, as the front line CSRs don't have that power.

You probably saw the $6.99 price on an old site or forum posts.

3. Aug 5, 2008 #3 of 34
    Conodor

Conodor New Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Oh i agree with 2, but the problem is why did the girl tell me hold on and the other guy might be able to help me, then put me on hold for an hour.

totally ticked me off. Like i said i was totally fine with not getting the service for $10, but then to say hold on the cancelation department might be able to help..

This thread was just a vent... I do like Tivo better than the cable box. but for a TV that will rarely be used i just couldn't justify $120 a year right now. maybe if i use it more at another time i couild... but not now.

4. Aug 5, 2008 #4 of 34
    janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    No. They've always been at the bottom from my experiences.

5. Aug 5, 2008 #5 of 34
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

How would she know how long the hold is?
    helpful tip: you can hang up the phone at whatever point trying to score 36$ a year cheaper than actual rate is not worth it anymore

but you asked the first CSR how to get a lower rate and she gave the correct answer of "I can transfer you to these guys"

6. Aug 5, 2008 #6 of 34
    Conodor

Conodor New Member

Apr 13, 2006
    no the last 2 times i had to call. not bad either twice in 4 years of service... they were great. Fast answers, and the help was perfect.

I wasn't trying to "score" anything. I called wondering why i seen 2 different prices. I got the answer i was looking for and said ok that's to high for a TV i won't use. the girl said hold on the cancelation department might be able to get me the old lower price.

So why is it that to get new service less than a minute on hold... cancelation department is an hour? and even less helpfull!

heck! the guy asked me 2 times if i wanted to cancel the lifetime service of my tivo and get it for $6.99 a month!

I Said what are you talking about... i said i wanted to add a second box! this was asked 2 times in the conversation!

7. Aug 5, 2008 #7 of 34
    JayBird

JayBird New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Gilbert, AZ
    There's the flaw right there. When companies outsource their customer service, the resulting quality of service always stinks. The bean counters at these companies think they are saving so much money by farming it out, without any consideration for the number of resulting pissed off customers that they will ultimately lose over the deal. They are reducing their expenses while indirectly also reducing their revenues. But since the effect of crappy customer service on sales isn't a tangible figure that the bean counters can compute, they just ignore it all together as they pat themselves on the back for reducing expenses.

Look at how much flack Dell has taken for outsourcing their customer service overseas...

8. Aug 5, 2008 #8 of 34
    MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Pretty much all CS sucks, but yeah, TiVo is probably one of the worst I've ever dealt with.

9. Aug 5, 2008 #9 of 34
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Where did you see these two different prices? The current pricing plan is almost a year old now. The TiVo website is pretty clear on the pricing plans.

10. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    With services like this, the profits are too small for great customer service because providing customer service is very expensive and I agree customer service suffers greatly. I believe TiVo is above average considering the service provided and very slim margins. One company that manages to provide what I consider great customer service despite selling their products at very slim margins, is Oppo Digital. This small company sells great value DVD players and does a great job responding to customer needs. Otherwise, buy the Cadillac of each product for great customer service, there are margins built in to provide it. Highly competitive consumer electronics goods and services have no margins built in to allow it but after being a TiVo customer for almost 8 years, I think TiVo has reached a good compromise. I hope improvements are possible and TiVo can do even better soon, but if not, I can live with this and understand the economics of the business.

Chris

11. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I thought that's what I did when I bought the TiVo Series 3.

12. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    I've been on the phone with Home Depot for over half an hour now, transferred three times, and have spoken to four different people so far. My issue has yet to be resolved, and I am old hold right now about to speak with yet another person.

In conclusion - Tivo CS sucks, sadly that appears to be pretty common these days.

13. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Unless it's about a refund or return processing, the Internet is a much better resource than any CS department.

14. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    right, you asked about the 6.99 and she did her job in transferring you to the one place that might give you that price. She had no idea what the hold time would be and you held the phone for an hour(though hopefully speakerphone). Most likely the retention is a much smaller staff, perhaps directly employed by TiVo and they answered when they could.

yah, with a moment's thought that is ridiculous to cancel something already paid up for the life of the box, but it is most likely the only way the person could enter it into the system. They needed an active subscription in order to retain it. ;)

15. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    A dissenting opinion - I recently dealt with TiVo customer Service and didn't have any issues. I got a replacement for my warrantyless S2DT (Lightning isn't covered; I knew that before calling) at a lower price than I was expecting, the replacement unit was shipped Next Day Air even though UPS Ground was promised, and the communications throughout the process has been superb.

In a world of constantly declining customer service I don't have any such problems with TiVo.

16. vazquezj324

vazquezj324 now THIS is Colorado

Jul 2, 2008
    Colorado
    +1

17. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I bolded the part you seem to not fully understand. The csr didn't say that escalating it would result in a better deal, by your own words you were told that it was just a possibility. As for the hold time, you're just being naive anytime you expect a short wait.

If $6.95/mo is a good price for you and $9.95/mo is too much, what do you think of $8.25/mo? That's what it comes to when you prepay for a year at the MSD rate of $99.

18. pomerlp

pomerlp New Member

Apr 21, 2008
    When did this outsourcing occurred? I hear you guys saying that but could someone provide a link that says this is true?

I can't say I've ever experienced "great" customer service from TiVo, but they have called me back from time to time to resolve issues for me. Usually by that time either the issue has resolved itself or I got the answer in here.

19. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I don't know when they started outsourcing, but early this summer they switched to a different company.

20. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    If you think the profit margins associated with any TiVo product or service provides a lot of money for customer service, you are mistaken. TiVo has to sell the products at slim margins and provide good customer service, it needs to be done, I don't disagree, but I just pointed out the economics of the situation means compromises are required and I have been happy with TiVo customer service since purchasing my first TiVo in October 2000. If you are aware of a way to provide even better customer service with such slim margins, you should send suggestions to TiVo. I am amazed the company can do as well as it does and I prefer budget prices which require budget levels of customer service.

Selling products with tiny margins and then paying for the staff and facilities to provide overkill for any customer needs at any time is a guaranteed way to be out of business quickly. We want low prices and we want great customer service, I understand, but that is a conflict that is getting very difficult to balance. I am not saying that TiVo shouldn't do better, I am saying I don't have any complaints based on my personal experience and that I have seen a lot of bad customer service and don't place TiVo in that group.

Chris