Tivo constantly re-booting/Netflix taking FOREVER to load

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Riproar, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Riproar

Riproar New Member

Oct 19, 2019
    Hello--

Disclaimer: I am a total luddite when it comes to this stuff, and I have no interest in becoming more educated--I just want my streaming/on-demand services to WORK. I have two TiVo boxes--one master and one "slave" (hate that term) both connected to Samsung smart TVs which are about five years old each. The Tivo boxes were upgraded about two years ago. The master TiVo works more or less consistently, although Netflix still takes about 10 minutes to fully load (maybe this isn't a Tivo issue but rather a wifi issue?). However, the slave unit/TV is constantly glitching: either won't load Netflix or freezes up during the process, freezes while playing on-demand content, won't load recorded shows (occasionally), etc. And when any of these things happen the only way to get it back on line is power the whole thing down and let it reboot. OR sometimes it will just commence rebooting on its own. This has been happening more or less constantly since I've had Tivo installed. The service providers have replaced the slave component three times, so now I am wondering if there is something wrong with my TV...? Power source? Any thoughts or suggestions would be super appreciated!

Thank you!

2. Clif Beasley

Clif Beasley New Member

Oct 19, 2019
    I would put a battery backup in place for sure, then re-evaluate. This one is currently $41.95 at Amazon CyberPower ST425 Standby UPS System, 425VA/260W, 8 Outlets, Compact

3. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    You should indicate what model TiVos you have. I have a couple of first generation Minis and they are terrible about loading Netflix. So bad I don't even bother to try. My Bolt works fine with Netflix. My Roamio is kinda slow loading Netflix, but certainly less than a minute. I think your problem may indeed be your wifi setup. Do you know speed your getting?

4. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    That has absolutely nothing to do with his issue.

jrtroo likes this.
  5. Riproar

Riproar New Member

Oct 19, 2019
    Hi!
    Thanks for your reply and the tip. Why do you think this would help? I don't think there is an issue with surge...
    Thank you!

6. Clif Beasley

Clif Beasley New Member

Oct 19, 2019
    Unexplained reboots are sometimes caused by power issues, which you alluded to in the original post. I live in Florida and power fluctuations are common here, so I always battery-backup my equipment. Of course the best solution would be an in-line power conditioner, but they're expensive.

7. Clif Beasley

Clif Beasley New Member

Oct 19, 2019
    WiFi may be one issue, but it would not cause reboots. So there may be two issues at play, WiFi being one of them.

8. MikeBear

MikeBear Letting my mind wander, luring it back with candy.

May 21, 2015
    Mid-Michigan
    My Roamio, which is hard-wired to my router with an ethernet cable will usually reboot IF I exit Netflix by just hitting the "Live Tv" button on the Tivo remote.

IF I exit Netflix by arrowing to Netflix's left menu, and then down to "Exit" and use that to exit Netflix, it works properly EVERY time, with no reboots.

9. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    The OP says the reboots happen when Netflix is trying to load, not just randomly.

10. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    OP, reading more closely, sounds like you have a cable company that supplies the TiVos. True?

Are the minis connected to Ethernet or is the system using MOCA, i.e., Ethernet over the coax. You mention WiFi. Is the Roamio using WiFi for its connection?

In any event, probably the best bet is to just keep after your cable company until they get it working.

11. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Is it possible his cable company is supplying him with a mini?? My Roamio plus used to reboot until I plugged it directly into an outlet. It was not happy with a power strip.

12. Clif Beasley

Clif Beasley New Member

Oct 19, 2019
    Power problems manifest themselves in ways that appear random to us laymen. That's why I recommend eliminating "dirty" power as a source of trouble. The best way to do that is with an in-line power conditioner, which will cost...

Suggestion: replace the WiFi connection with an Ethernet cable - even temporarily. This will confirm or deny if WiFi is the problem. Troubleshooting is often like peeling the layers of an onion. Let us know the result and we will continue troubleshooting as necessary.