TIVO connection to Satellite TV-How?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by RoadWriter, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Sep 6, 2007 #1 of 10
    RoadWriter

RoadWriter New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Madison, WI
    We are going to an RV Resort in AZ for the winter that offers free satellite TV. I assume this means a community dish, with cable connections at each site. I just bought a new Series 2 TIVO for the motorhome. Will I be able to use it on the satellite system?

I will only have WiFi for my Internet connection (laptop) so I suppose I will have to get a phone line installed to download TIVO programming, or is there another way?

Thanks.

J Jansen

2. Sep 6, 2007 #2 of 10
    azitnay

azitnay Active Member

Jan 20, 2003
    Washington,...
    If the resort takes the channels from the satellite and modulates them as RF channels, then you should be able to configure the TiVo for "cable without box", but if TiVo doesn't have a lineup option for you, you might have to contact the TiVo lineup team at http://customersupport.tivo.com/LineUpForm.aspx and have them generate a custom lineup for you.

If the resort instead provides you with a satellite receiver, you'll have to configure the TiVo to control the satellite receiver via either the serial cable or the IR blasters.

It's probably worth calling ahead to see exactly how they do it, and asking for a channel lineup as well so you can see if TiVo already has it.

In lieu of a phone line, you could also use Windows' internet connection sharing to share its WiFi connection with other devices via its ethernet port.

Drew

3. Sep 6, 2007 #3 of 10
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
  4. Sep 6, 2007 #4 of 10
    RoadWriter

RoadWriter New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Madison, WI
    Thanks, Nazit.
    I had asked the question in a different way in another thread and was still confused so your answer was helpful. Pardon my ig, but are you saying I can connect the TIVO to my ethernet port on my laptop with a WiFi connection and then configure for WiFi network sharing? That sounds exciting.

JJ

5. Sep 6, 2007 #5 of 10
    stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, you can set up Internet Connection Sharing on the laptop, or buy a wireless adapter for the TiVo and have it connect directly. I'd choose the latter.

6. Sep 6, 2007 #6 of 10
    azitnay

azitnay Active Member

Jan 20, 2003
    Washington,...
    Interesting take on my name :).

Drew

7. Sep 6, 2007 #7 of 10
    RoadWriter

RoadWriter New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Madison, WI
    I just undid the Pig Latin. :p

8. Sep 6, 2007 #8 of 10
    RoadWriter

RoadWriter New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Madison, WI
    Thanks, Steve for the info. I ordered the USB network adapter from the store here.

9. Sep 6, 2007 #9 of 10
    RoadWriter

RoadWriter New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Madison, WI
    So Steve and Nazit, I ordered one of those full rebate single tuner TVs for the motorhome (makes it free from this site). Looks like it will work the with Direct TV lineup at the RV Resort, and with the USB adapter I can have the programming downloaded via the park WiFi.

Do you know if I can also record stuff over the air (local channels via the outside antenna)?

10. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You can record over the air, but will have to rerun Guided Setup and swap inputs to do so.