Tivo Connection Fail "could not get account status"

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by JLaamanen, Dec 11, 2012.

1. JLaamanen

JLaamanen Member

Nov 11, 2007

Advertisements

It's been a while since on been on the forum and hope I didn't miss a post that explains this. I've been using an enet or w/l connection to my DSL router for a while w/o incident. Just now trying my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy SIII "Hotspot" wich worked fine w/ laptop (no setup issues). Tivo sees it, phone sees tivo but I get "could not get account status". The Preparing finishes then under Connecting it fails. The only advise it gives is restarting. Anybody hav a clue?

Thanks
    John

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Firewall?

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    See if your laptop can ping the TiVo.

4. JLaamanen

JLaamanen Member

Nov 11, 2007
    I haven't done a lot yet. There is no firewall. The TIVO & phone see each other. TIVO gets IP. Will try pinging.

Also there was one TIVO option for connecting with I haven't been able to get to again. The phone uses WPA2 PSK. I saw an option in the TIVO once with it implying that there was a common choice and another for this protocall but I haven't found out how to get back to try the other.

Is there a menu map for this?

Thanks
    John

5. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

Assuming it's a Series 2 or newer TiVo, go into phone and network settings and change network settings will get you into the screens where you can monkey with that stuff.

While you're in there, give the TiVo a fixed IP address outside of the DHCP pool.

And you'll probably have to spend some time on the google, as some of those encryption "standards" have different names depending on who the manufacturer is.

6. JLaamanen

JLaamanen Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Well... Did a bit more:
    Made Hotspot "open" w/o password. No help.
    Made TIVO IP static with what was listed for it in phone. No help.
    With laptop connected to hotspot I can ping TIVO :)

I'll flog it more over weekend. I really hope I can get it to work :(

Thanks
    John

7. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Give it a fixed IP address that's within the range (xxx.xxx.xxx.0-255, but don't use 0 or 255, and probably not 1, either) of your LAN but outside of the pool set aside for DHCP handouts.

8. JLaamanen

JLaamanen Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Hmmm...
    FYI it's a Tivo HD. The error associated w/ it is N15. I will investigate my phone to see how it handles DHCP and other IPs. I'm going to tivo site too :)

9. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    T-Mobile may be blocking some ports. The support article at http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/402 lists everything that has to be open.

TiVos are also very sensitive to MTU problems. For example, if you use a router configured with an MTU of 1500 bytes on a DSL line that maxes out at 1492 bytes you will see the same symptoms. There are ways figure out the correct MTU settings using the ping command on your computer but I have no idea if your phone has any way to configure it.

10. JLaamanen

JLaamanen Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Thanks. I'll look into the ports and hope I can set what is needed. No response to my tivo post but it's the weekend.

11. JLaamanen

JLaamanen Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Update.... The TIVO says the port are OK. The next step is to check w/ ISP, T-Moble, to see if they block ports :(

(According to the tivo.com link)

12. JLaamanen

JLaamanen Member

Nov 11, 2007
    FYI....
    Even though it won't connect for acct. update it DOES do Youtube! I watched the driving dog and a couple more as a test :)

Off to check Tivo site :(