TiVo confirms iPhone and Android apps coming "soon"

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by davezatz, Jun 19, 2011.

1. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    [​IMG]

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Good to know though I still keep waiting for an updated TiVo desktop that offers the same functionality. I have a feeling I will be waiting a long time if not indefinitely for TiVo to update that though.

3. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I imagine, or at least hope, an updated TiVo Desktop is on their docket. However, if you consider the cable companies are their target audience/customer these days, mobile apps are a more compelling selling point - as it's something that wouldn't need to be developed in house. If TiVo would just implement some sort of DLNA, maybe desktop software would be less of an issue.

4. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Oh I agree and it makes sense. It would just be nice if I could sit at my desk and reorganize my season passes, search for recordings, and those various things from the desktop. Now obviously technically some of this is available from TiVo.com, but I find the local app to be far superior especially since TiVo.com doesn't work for me sometimes especially when it comes to the season pass manager.

It just seems like they are missing the potential of a nice and powerful desktop app/program.

Then again with tools like PyTiVo and KMTTG out you think they would have copied some of the functionality already.

5. RangerOne

RangerOne The Hub

Dec 30, 2006
    It's probably been mentioned before but it would be nice if you could stream content from the TiVo direct to the iPad. i'm sure there's some rights restriction preventing it (right?). Given the streaming hooks added to TiVo recently and the TV Everywhere initiative, it would be a selling point to cable companies.

6. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    From other threads I believe it is a technical limitation of the iPad, but I don t know for sure.

7. poopsie

poopsie Member

Dec 27, 2003
    Now is this "soon" like the new Directivo soon? Or full HD menus on the premiere soon?

8. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    I just wish they made the app available outside the US... some of us Canadians own compatible units after all...

9. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS Active Member

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    That's just wonderful. It's being released at least a year later than it should have been, and it only works with Premiere boxes. TiVo really knows how to alienate their customers...

No, TiVo. This won't make me purchase a new (half-baked) Premiere. It is just another tick in the "Why I shouldn't buy a new TiVo when mine breaks." list.

10. mec1991

mec1991 Cranky old coot

Nov 5, 2004
    Back home...
    Smartypants! :)

11. montivfx

montivfx New Member

Dec 20, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    Streaming works pretty good on my Time Warner ipad app (for the channels they stream).

12. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Doesn't that stream from Time Warner and not from their DVR/STB like Netflix? If so that would be why since TW could stream in a compatible format.

13. montivfx

montivfx New Member

Dec 20, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    True. Tivo needs to stay ahead of the technology curve in my opinion much better than they have been. Like these iphone apps. They should have been out 2 years ago. How about my second core, hd menus already? Can I convert to h.264 in the tivo with the 2nd core and then dump to my ipad over wifi? That would be cool (lots of wishful thoughts I know).

14. sitcomsling

sitcomsling New Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Agreed on staying ahead of the game. for an independent DVR to lag behind comcast, etc is not going to help that much in the long run.