TiVo Company separation... What does it mean to us?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by markjrenna, Nov 27, 2019.

1. markjrenna

markjrenna Member

Mar 23, 2006
    New Jersey
    "This is significant progress for TiVo as we prepare for a separation of our IP Licensing and Product businesses. Getting the right capital structure in place for both businesses was a critical factor to the separation, and the agreement we are announcing today is a major milestone towards TiVo becoming two independent businesses," commented Dave Shull, TiVo president and chief executive officer. "We are also reaffirming the 2019 Full Year Outlook provided on our last quarterly earnings call on November 7, 2019 as the terms of the new Term Loan Credit Agreement were contemplated in providing such estimates. TiVo remains actively involved in strategic discussions, while also preparing for a separation into two independent companies by April of 2020."

TiVo Locks In $715M Loan Ahead of April 2020 Split | Light Reading

billso likes this.
  2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I'm hoping we go back to the old guide data provider, but that seems unlikely in the near term.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Especially because the current data provider for TiVo is, TiVo. ;)

mschnebly and tommage1 like this.
  4. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Or is it RiVo? RoVo? TiVi?

Mikeguy likes this.
  5. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Highly unlikely that Gracenote guide data will ever be used by any TiVo device again. Even if the device company doesn't retain the guide data business, I'm sure that as part of the split there will be an agreement that the device company will get free access to the guide data in perpetuity.

6. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It means they can fail just as miserably/spectacularly in two different arenas!

PSU_Sudzi, cwerdna, billso and 2 others like this.
  7. Slumpert

Slumpert Member

Oct 18, 2019
    What does TiVo need the 715million for?

Exciting new products like the edge except with current technology?
    Buying rights to more 10+ year old shows for TiVo+?
    Or ultimately just bonuses for the CEO?

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I still think TiVo should transition to an OTT service. If Fubo can get most of the channels and unlimited DVR time for $70/mo why can’t TiVo? They could use their DVR technology to combine that seamlessly with OTA recording so they wouldn’t have to worry about the locals.

9. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    I hope the DVR side gets acquired by a company that actually cares about supporting and developing DVRs and respecting the opinions of their customers.

mazman, MileHigh96 and stile99 like this.
  10. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    A step towards being useful again? Sorry, that's not the current plan.

11. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I love the corporate-speak. I bet if you went back to the TiVo/Rovi merger you's find equally optimistic blather about how the combined company will leverage synergistic clomtometry to revitalize the potrzebie. Now they have to make splitting up sound like a good thing.

12. mntvjunkie

mntvjunkie Active Member

May 12, 2009
    Rovi is stripping TiVo of anything that made it valuable (and the only thing keeping it alive for the last 10 years) in patents.

TiVo will now have to make money by having a good product, instead of by suing anyone else who tries to have a good product. So basically, they cut off the dying limbs (TiVo Products) to save the cash cow (patents).

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Their patents are all expiring anyway. Most are from 1998-2000 when they were still a startup.

14. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    They eat through money like nobody's business. They spend between 30-40 million per quarter on R&D and that has always looked like a scam compared to their output. Even as far back as 2006 I was scratching my head at 60 million a year in R&D.

slowbiscuit, LoadStar and kpeters59 like this.
  15. UnitMaster

UnitMaster New Member

Jan 30, 2019
    Tivo should have bought Pluto TV before Viacom beat them to it. Instead we are stuck with this half-a$$ed Tivo+Xumo integration of circa 15 of the 100+ Xumo channels, that was completely bungled by Tivo's R&D department. Tivo+Xumo channel guide links to channels where you have no idea what show you are watching, when the show started, or the inability to pause or Rev or FF. Just let that sink in. Tivo, a company that built itself on an excellent channel guide and DVR, failing to integrate it's content into it's own channel guide and DVR. Then there is the fact that the Tivo+Xumo shows have future TV commercial ad-holder segments making the Tivo+Xumo content unwatchable. Clearly Tivo is hoping to sell ad space on these Tivo+Xumo channels. Until then all their content looks stupid. The Xumo deal must include a % of this hoped "future ad" revenue otherwise if I was Xumo I would sue Tivo because their integration makes Xumo look horrible. And Xumo doesn't have to be terrible. Look at LG's integration aka "Channel Plus", or just download the free Xumo app on FireTV or Android.

What could have been. Just imaging the Pluto TV platform integrated with Tivo's over the air boxes. It would have been the cord cutters dream. Terrestrial + IP TV is the future.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    foghorn2 and kpeters59 like this.
  16. mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Well, they did give you TiVo+ so that's some output. :)

ej42137 likes this.
  17. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    Feds needs to investigate quick, starting with the Tivo/Rovi Board of Directors.

18. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    huh wut?
    Seriously, the only people that they are beholden to is the shareholders, keep them happy, their job is done.

mschnebly likes this.
  19. Slumpert

Slumpert Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Wonder what devices the Rovi board of directors grandkids are using for Disney+

20. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    TiVo+ and waiting for a Disney show to appear? ;)