Tivo coming to Australia! Will it work here?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by merlin, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Aug 8, 2007 #1 of 48
    merlin

merlin New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    As Australia is PAL could the new Australian Tivo work within the UK? Could be something to think about......

2. Aug 8, 2007 #2 of 48
    AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    My understanding was that the video standards issue is fairly trivial. The problems are the format of the EPG database and the fact that you can't subscribe a non UK serial number in the UK.
    I'd love it to work but my gut feeling is it is very very unlikely.

3. Aug 8, 2007 #3 of 48
    blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    For now... :)

4. Aug 8, 2007 #4 of 48
    merlin

merlin New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    So Maybe a slight chance we can get this to work....

5. Aug 8, 2007 #5 of 48
    b166er

b166er New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Brit in...
    If that is all the issue is, then it would sound like it's relatively simple to just allow non UK serial numbers to register. If there's a technical problem with the EPG being able to work on a newer TiVo (S2 or S3), I'm sure there's sufficient demand here that somebody would put in the effort to make it work. Kind of like asking TiVo UK "please let us register the newer devices, we'll make the EPG work ourselves"...

6. Aug 9, 2007 #6 of 48
    iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    Unless off-the-shelf TiVo's can be sold in volume within the UK, I doubt that TiVo Inc. would open up the UK service again. In the end, it always come down to finding a UK manufacturer who can produce and market in volume quantity.

7. Aug 9, 2007 #7 of 48
    CarlWalters

CarlWalters Yo Ho TiVo!

Oct 17, 2001
    RG4,...
    Oooh you big tease :D

8. Aug 9, 2007 #8 of 48
    blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Not at all :)

I am still firmly of the opinion that it's not a matter of "if" but of "when" a new TiVo will be introduced to the UK. The introduction of TiVo service to Australia and NZ is an excellent indication that TiVo Inc are still keen to expand abroad, and the fact that the technical platform in those countries is almost identical to the UK is very good news indeed!

Clearly, once TiVo service has been introduced to Aus & NZ, it will pretty much just be a matter of updating the UK TiVo servers to accept new serial numbers from those machines and to serve our guide data in the format required for the new software version (most of which will have to be done as new development for Aus & NZ anyway) to allow them to be used in the UK.

Whether we get a "new" machine of our own or a rebadged Aus/NZ model with a few tweaks makes no difference to me!

9. Aug 9, 2007 #9 of 48
    b166er

b166er New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Brit in...
    Wow, what I said was actually right. :eek: :eek: As I added though, if the cost of the reformatting development work was the biggest impediment to being able to use the new hardware, I bet there's enough motivation here to get the job done amongst the programmers here.

Shame TiVo can't do a poll via the TiVo service as a new menu item where you just select whether or not you'd be interested in upgrading to a newer device at cost. Doing one on here is interesting but I'm sure the vast majority of the 30,000 or so TiVo owners don't come here.

10. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005
    Australia does use PAL for analogue but from the somewhat sketchy details available it looks like the machine Seven are talking about is terrestrial digital, and high definition at that.

Unfortunately while Australia do use DVB-T there are differences between it an the DVB-T system used in the UK. The likely HD route in the UK will be MPEG-4, not something likely to be supported in a machine targeted at the Australian market. It's likely the hardware will be capable of handling UK Freeview SD broadcasts, but the firmware will need modified if the machine is to support UK features such as MHEG digital text.

It seems unlikely to me that the Seven Network, who are after all a broadcaster not a manufacturer, are likely to be interested in entering the UK market. So TiVo would still be looking for a UK partner.

While the fact TiVo are still interested in the international market is encouraging I don't think we'll see this particular machine in the UK.

11. ColinYounger

ColinYounger It wasn't me.

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...
    So is the Australian TiVo a Series 3? DX30's post suggests it is (HDTV).

How hackable are the Series 3 machines?

I'm thinking: "Be careful what you wish for".

12. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I could guess the hardware is based on the Series 3 platform, modified to meet Australia's TV and power standards, including antenna and video connectors.
    Or it could be a ground up new design for Seven.

Since Series 2.5s (the 540 models), TiVos required a PROM Mod to hack. I don't know what the state of the art is in TiVo hacking at all, let alone Series 3 hacks.

13. TonyW

TonyW New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    A service in Aus/NZ does sound positive, if only that TiVo haven't forgotten there are other markets out there. But it would be great if we could import.
    While I understand the Australian HD format will be slightly different, what about 'normal' non-HD digital broadcasts?

14. TIVO_YORK99

TIVO_YORK99 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    York
  15. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    So will you even have to pay for the Free Tv EPG for the Tivo then? It doesn't seem obvious that you will from the article.

16. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    I guess Australian customers will be paying for the TiVo 'service' via their cable supplier as some sort of add-on package. Where the actual EPG data comes from is immaterial (and always has been legally) - it's the 'service' we're paying for. It just happens that in the UK (and for standalone machines in the US) the service is not available (legally) without using TiVo's EPG data.

Did that make any sense? I thought it did before I wrote it :eek::D

17. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    From the Australian website:-

18. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    I was using 'cable' as a generic term for pay-TV providers - sorry.

Seven Network will be providing the TiVo - it won't be a stand-alone device in the way the UK and early US TiVos were.

So, what makes you assume they will be providing 'the service' for free?

A more interesting question than nit-picking about the definition of 'cable supplier' would be to wonder what will happen to the thousands of TiVo users in Australia currently using the OzTiVo guide data system?

19. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Are Seven a satellite pay tv provider then?

Assuming that they charge subscriptions I would imagine Tivo will be provided free of charge (or at least free of any extra specific Tivo charge) to those on their new expensive HD top channel package as a way of giving them a competitive edge in the marktplace and to give people even more reason to pay the no doubt very expensive charges for their HD and DVR top pay tv package.

Of course Tivo won't really be free as the monthly subs for the pay HDTV service will be covering it but it will appear Seven are giving their customers the best DVR in the world for no extra charge if they package it the way that seems most likely.

Now if only Virgin Media had such vision, instead of only looking short term at numbers on balance sheets, then perhaps they might have been able to gain a huge competitive edge over Sky as the must have best HD and PVR service in the marketplace.

20. ColinYounger

ColinYounger It wasn't me.

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...
    <WAKA> <WAKA> <WAKA>

^ Thread drift alarm.