Tivo Coffee House thread rant

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jaselzer, Sep 18, 2019.

1. jaselzer

jaselzer Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Just feeling frustrated today: Well, here we are in the middle of september post Cedia and not one word of the mini wireless adapter that was first mentioned in January. But it is good to see that Tivo has Caavo listed on their page of accessories(sarcasm). Wtf? Is there anyone at home at Tivo hq? If I did not love Tivo products I would not care about this. I just find it frustrating that they seem so inept sometimes. Or perhaps what is going on behind closed doors is a real serious push to emphasize their products for operators rather than business to consumers, and the frustration I feel is related to the fact that unconsciously I know this and do not like it from a personal perspective. But maybe it is the right direction for Tivo's survival in the long run.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    When my cable provider announced their TiVo support and eero, I knew that the Mini wireless adapter was dead or dying. Even now they don't mention a Mini. Yet they are pushing the TiVo really hard, including Billboards and local commercials several times every hour.

3. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    It's true, it's been a bad year for hitting launch targets. The new apps are all MIA too (Q2 and Q3).

The good news is, October could be a busy month....

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Mikeguy and jrtroo like this.
  4. jaselzer

jaselzer Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Hey Joe, can you explain why you came to that conclusion after the Tivo/Eero announcement? I am not quite understanding the connection.

Maybe it will be. I certainly hope so. And I forgot about the apps, they too are MIA as you pointed out.

5. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    First, why not MoCA? They are a cable company after all. I have three Mini boxes (TE3 and TE4) running now. To do that you need a decent router, and they will rent you a D3.1 router for $6/month. With the eero mesh, the Mini wireless adapter, not on their pricelist, would not be needed. But I've often been wrong. Time will tell.

My feed: www.secv.com

6. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    When I first heard about Tivo's plan to offer a new wireless adapter I was very surprised. But the specs/device details seemed vague. Given the general level of Tivo's support along with the vagaries of wireless, I would expect an avalanche of support calls for this wireless adapter alone....not something that Tivo would welcome.

7. jaselzer

jaselzer Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Well your points are well taken. I have quite a robust wifi set up at home and now use a Netgear Nighthawk 8000 extender for my Mini and Nvidia Shield and it works perfectly. To strengthen your points, I also have a whole house(apartment actually) Crestron system in my home. Historically, Crestron would only sell products that utilized their proprietary wireless signal because they did not want to get a ton of support calls that had more to do with their customers' wifi than the Crestron system itself. But now, Crestron is selling a wifi enable remote control and has basically stated that wifi is now much more robust and can handle the level of demands of the modern systems.

So to your points, perhaps Tivo thought about the adapter and came back with a simple....."why"?

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That sounds about right. TiVo can barely support MoCA, and they used to have a wireless N and G adapter, both pretty bad. As a general rule, I find little training and poor tools to support the support people. The diagnostics within a TiVo are little help, and the documentation is non-existent.

BTW, I'm using the R8300 now. I used the R8000 for two years. I changed just because I like the UI, but the R8000 is a better router.

9. jaselzer

jaselzer Member

Sep 10, 2018
    This is what I use: EX8000 | WiFi Range Extenders | Networking | Home | NETGEAR

So far it has been flawless, the quality and consistency of my connection to the mini has been rock solid.

I also tried to install this in our masterbedroom: EX7300 | WiFi Range Extenders | Networking | Home | NETGEAR and my wife told me to get it the f..K out of the bedroom. So what I did was, while she was away, move the wifi access point to under her desk right near the bedroom and she has not yet detected it yet, but the wifi into the bedroom is much better as a result.

10. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    From the title I thought the thread was going to be a rant against the coffee house forum. Could not imagine someone doesn't like the forum.

dlfl and jrtroo like this.
  11. jaselzer

jaselzer Member

Sep 10, 2018
    hmm, I should not start threads before my second cup of coffee I guess

dlfl likes this.
  12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I know the feeling. Sometimes the best post is the one you don't make. :)

fcfc2 likes this.
  13. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Active Member

Nov 27, 2014
    I live in Connecticut and I have never seen Tivo advertise anywhere. Maybe online when the Bolt came out. I always figured their product was all word if mouth or forced on people thru their service provider.

14. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    The forum stinks, I don't see why anyone posts here. :p

ej42137 likes this.
  15. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It's just Russian bots, all the way down...

16. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    I wonder about the quality of performance of a wifi adapter, if it ever comes along. My only experiences with wireless video streaming boxes was the old Cisco wireless U-verse receiver, which (in my case) ran like absolute dogshit. Then again, that was 2011.

17. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    I have a Roku TV in one of my upstairs rooms with no cable or ethernet and stream video often with no issues and certainly enough bandwidth in my home WiFi network to support it. I'm hoping that promised TiVo app comes along and allows me to stream to that TV from my Bolt, sometime soon...

18. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    A difference of opinion: my (purchased used) TiVo wireless G adapter has performed rock-solid with my Toshiba Series 2 TiVo box since day 1--totally set-it-and-forget-it.

19. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I can't dispute that. I have (somewhere) that adapter. I plugged it into my Premiere, used a decent interface to get it configured, and ran it for a while. That same Premiere is still on my network, and I plug it in weekly where I get a max of 60Mbps via Ethernet. It's major use: a place to mount my Roamio. But my TiVo's wireless adapters are MIA right now. I have so much stuff that finding them is low on my priority list. And everything mentioned in this paragraph was purchased from eBay.

20. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    It's TRUMPS fault!