Tivo Clock?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by CallMeBob, Sep 16, 2007.

1. CallMeBob

CallMeBob New Member

Jun 15, 2005
    I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on 2 Tivo Hds. I am currently using a Cox Moto box. When I had D* I had a real problem with the clock for most of my recordings and I had to pad either the begining or end of the show by up to two minutes to not lose part of the shows. My question is, was that specific to D* (did they handle the clock time on the D* Tivo or maybe it was an issue with lag due to the satellite service) or is this something that many run into in the SA Tivos? The reason I ask is that with all the new shows that I am trying out this season, many of which are on at the same time and are followed by more recordings, I will not be able to pad the recordings and this could cause me some problems. I'm no fan of the Cox box, but one thing for sure is that I've never had to pad recordings using their box. Thank you.

2. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    The Tivo clock is accurate, and is reset every time it calls in.

The question is, are your TV Stations' clocks accurate?

3. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    You have 3 issues going on.

1-Networks are running "off the clock" to get more commercials in the shows with the biggest ratings.
    Lost, ER and Heroes are perfect examples, they are 1:01 or 1:02 long to get more ad time.

2-"Live" programs earlier in the day on some channels having a ripple effect later on making programs start and end later.
    TNT during Nascar season and SciFi with their "live" wrestling are examples I can think of
    CBS Sunday during Football Season is another example.

3-Bad information given to TMS, the folks that supply the guide info to Tivo among others.
    Reporting that a show starts at 9:00 when it really starts at either 8:59 or 9:01.

4-If you live in the Mountain Time Zone, your local stations are delaying network programming, so they can do just about whatever they want to get more local ad time in.
    Starting primetime 1-3 minutes early is a really good example.

Satellite lag is only a couple seconds, if even that, not enough to lose show content.

phox

4. CallMeBob

CallMeBob New Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Thanks for the help. So is it safe to assume, since I don't have problems with the Moto box, that my cable company is running content at the correct time? And further that it could be that D* might have been delayed in their timing? I do remember that when I had basic cable for SD locals, before D* got them years ago, that if I had a TV on cable and another on D* running the same channel that D* would be off by up to 20 seconds behind.

5. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    What Phoz_Mulder said is absolutely true.

I have found that using "Creative" programming teqniques are the best way to get around the problem. Especially if you have more than one DVR.

With MRV coming to the S3/HD units soon. Having 2 would be a good thing. Then using creative programming between the two, you can cover for any 1 to 2 minute lag before & after the show begins and ends.

Even the Cable Co's box will have the same issue. So it isn't Tivo Specific.

TGC

6. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I can see my channel (the station I work for) side by side from antenna, basic cable, DirecTV and DishNetwork.

Basic cable is 4 seconds behind, DirecTV and DishNetwork both are 5 seconds behind.

Comcast here is digitizing everything now, even though it is still analog as far as TV's are concerned,
    hence the delay.

I dont' think anything would ever be 20 seconds behind, but could be more than 5 seconds depending on how DirecTV is getting your locals.
    We fiber it directly to them so there is just the processing there, and the up/down of one satellite hop.
    They used to get us off an antenna here then sent to them via satellite so there would be another up/down delay added in, but that'd only be around a second maybe 2.

phox