TiVo & Clearstream TV antenna streaming

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by swarto112, Aug 14, 2017.

1. swarto112

swarto112 Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Antenna Direct released an antenna tuner/streaming stick that seems to work only with streaming boxes - Roku, Fire, etc. My initial thought was be nice if I could use that to stream the signal to my TiVo as a point to point instead of rewiring at my new house. Then I realized it was a tuner. Thoughts - TiVo helped pioneer the binge watch/cut the cord mania. Many of us have basically done this since our first TiVo. We moved enough that my family didnt know the difference from cable company to cable company then when I switched to over the air....didnt even notice.

As they we used to watching the program and not the channel. Then Netflix and on demand streaming of the same shows exploded so the focus was not even on the Tivo anymore. We steadily were moving to streaming more and more...even tho the TiVo has the apps built in. Running RoKu or an Apple Tv was way easier and more responsive. I'm afraid this last move may have killed my need for my 3 tivos (i cringe at the expensive of the boxes even though we've more than made back all the costs yet they've been sitting on a shelf since we moved back in April as we watch Sling TV and/or stream everything. Even with football season here...I cant see needing a tivo because I have the NFL gamepass and dont care about the local NFL teams near us in the latest move and college games are all on my Sling account anyways. If I can add OTA streaming to a streaming box and not rewire the house for the few times people will even want to watch live local stations...? Thoughts? Anything Im not factoring in? I hate to not use them but...?

2. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    If the TiVos have been sitting around unused for three months, there's a pretty good chance you won't ever miss them if you put them on eBay and get whatever cash you can out of them. (If they have lifetime service attached, they'll fetch some cash. If not, they probably won't get much.) That said, the new fall TV season will start up in a month or so. Does Sling TV allow your family to watch the latest episodes of shows from the broadcast nets (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox) on-demand whenever you want? If not, then you might want to keep a TiVo connected to an OTA antenna so that you can record those shows to watch at your convenience. (Another option would be Hulu, which has pretty much all shows from ABC, NBC and Fox available to stream on-demand the day after they air live. And you can use The CW app to stream all their recent stuff on-demand for free, but with forced ads.)

As far as integrating live OTA TV into your streaming boxes, there are a few different options out there, depending on which boxes you use. The ClearStream TV tuner you mentioned is one. A similar product called Mohu AirWave is supposed to be coming to market early next month. A nice thing about both products is that they can be placed wherever you want in your house (near a power plug-in) that you get good OTA reception and then they connect to your home network wirelessly to distribute the live OTA TV to viewing devices.

Silicon Dust makes a couple of similar dual-tuner products for OTA that you may want to consider: the HD HomeRun Connect (if your streaming boxes connect to the home network by either ethernet or "AC" wifi) costs $99 and the HD HomeRun Extend (if your streaming boxes connect to the home network via slower "N" wifi) costs $159. But both of those HD HomeRun tuners must connect to your network router via a wired ethernet connection, so they're not as flexible in where they can be placed. However, both units have two OTA tuners, allowing you to watch two different live OTA shows on two different devices at the same time. There's a very nice app for the Apple TV 4 called Channels that lets you watch the live TV streams from the HD HomeRun tuners, with the ability to even pause and rewind live TV, like you can on a TiVo. You can also use HD HomeRun tuners with Android TV boxes (e.g. Nvidia Shield TV, Mi Box) through Google's Live Channels app. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to use HD HomeRun tuners with Roku, though. And if you run Plex in your house, you should know that Plex supports live and DVR TV for the HD HomeRun tuners, so that's another option.

3. swarto112

swarto112 Member

Sep 9, 2012
    You approached it as must see TV Fall...as i stated its about the program and not the network. Most people rarely watch anything other than sports or a Game of Thrones type show to avoid spoilers. I know all the different ways to stream and got Hulu etc, etc. Sling account has 100 hrs of cloud DVR free as I was in the beta. Ive tried Hulu's Live TV, YouTube TV and Direct Tv Now. No one cared cuz no one watched locals or just had to watch a TV show...hence the OTA with the TiVos.

Not gonna monkey around with the Home run stuff, why bother when I have 3 Tivo DVRs already paid for 2 are OTA capable plus a Stream & a Mini...that's an onsite TV cloud in itself. Terabytes worth of TV shows that are just sitting on them anyways. I dont have to retrain the family either. That for tinkerers and I no longer want to support that as it'll just push them farther into streaming anyways. Tivos and Apple products u can hand to a 3 year old and they can run them...seen it with my own eyes.

Back to the original question...any other options for uses I havent covered?

4. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Good luck, sounds like you've got it all figured out.

tampa8 likes this.
  5. TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    Not worth $100 for just a single tuner. Maybe if it was a dual tuner device.

6. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Will a two tuner Premiere get ota channels if you are not paying TiVo the monthly fee? I know if I stick a Cablecard in there for $3 I will have a cable device with no frills but what about ota and no cc?

7. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Yes, you will have an OTA tuner with no guide, no networking, and no trick play.

8. sdawson

sdawson New Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Albany, Oregon
    To be clear (am a Tivo newbie) one could still use the manual recording option of Tivo to say, record the show which is on channel 6 every Saturday at 8:00 pm? Is this correct? Similar to how we programmed our VCR's back in the 80's

If so, and if there is no guide data, then what would this look in your Saved shows. That is, the title of what as recorded would not be available if there is no guide data. What would it appear as?

9. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    To be clear NO. A modern TiVo without service can do NOTHING but tuner OTA/QAM and play back shows recorded prior to the service ending.

sdawson likes this.
  10. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    If you want a cheap VCR style solution (manual timers, no guide), then get a $30 iView. It can do digital OTA and clear QAM. Something more like Tivo, with a free guide and similar interface (no manual timers required), look at Channel Master DVR+. Copy protected cable, however, will require a cable card device like Tivo (with service), HomeRun Prime or Ceton InfiniTV, the latter 2 requiring a PC running Windows 7 and Windows Media Center.

11. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Or, of course, pick up a TiVo Roamio OTA.

12. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Of course that's by far the best solution (free guide, 4 tuners, commercial skip, whole home DVR, etc.). But reading between the lines, $300 is probably a deal breaker for someone content with no guide and VCR style timers which can be had on a $30 device.

13. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Absolutely. And having bitten the bullet and coughed the money up, I would never go back. ;) My first TiVo (with lifetime), spread out over time, came out to around 2 large pizzas a year. :)

Nickipedia likes this.
  14. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I hear you. I figure I've saved close to $5k in DVR/box/service fees the years I've had a cable card based DVR instead of leasing one or paying Tivo monthly. Well worth a one time $300 expense.

15. sdawson

sdawson New Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Albany, Oregon
    Thank you. I do have the Roamio OTA and love it. But I was just wondering about the scenario as I saw the manual recording in the menus, but have not used them. I was wondering if someone had a TIVO without a subscription (or in a place without internet access, but with OTA reception, or if TIVO goes out of business) if they could still record.

16. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    No, without a subscription, even manual recording will not work.

The only TiVo where manual recordings worked without a sub is the original Series 1.

17. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    If you spend any time watching TV then TiVo is the absolute best solution on the market today. It will confound you and you too will live to hate it.

Mikeguy likes this.
  18. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If Tivo were to go out of business, would they send a final update to allow third-party guide data to be loaded similar to the functionality of windows media center?

19. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    When Rovi stopped supporting the Sony DHG guide, they bricked the units since, like a TiVo, the clock comes from the guide supplier.