Tivo Clarifies CES Series 3 Rumor?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Oknarf, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Jan 7, 2006 #1 of 189
    Oknarf

Oknarf New Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hampton, NH

Advertisements

http://www.cnet.com/4831-11405_1-6414214.html?tag=all

Does this mean that they just slapped together a unit from last years CES to have something to talk about or will this actually happen? Not that anyone really knows. This explanation would clarify why we have not seen a press release on Tivo's web site yet.

2. Jan 7, 2006 #2 of 189
    NJChris

NJChris Kermie Loves Elmo TCF Club

May 11, 2001
    Huntington...
    Think of it in the same vein as PS3??? Huh??? PS3 had huge announcements and tech demos and the like... that doesn't really fit.

3. Jan 7, 2006 #3 of 189
    Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    At some point the reporters get overloaded on the technology and report on the marketing and announcing mechanics, timing, percieved misteps rather than the technology itself.

Is there data to report about the SA3? Is it more than last year- yep. Tivo says it will come out this year. Is it as cool as the Ferrari devices on the showroom floor? Depends on your perspective. The Mustang is appealing, because that's the one we can actually imagine owning.

4. Jan 7, 2006 #4 of 189
    Oknarf

Oknarf New Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hampton, NH
    I disagree. Without an official announcement of this product and the initial reports of cancelled press briefings I think they just wheeled this out to give the people, us, something to speculate about.

With this clarification it would make this unit clearly a prototype. If you put technology products into 3 categories. Category 1 is the Treo 700w, announced at CES and available on shelves the same day. Category 2 is the PS3, announced but exact ship date to be determined. Category 3 is the Tivo Series 3, NOT announced but a prototype shown in the booth with no clear ship date and no official announcement. This would be most commonly referred to as vapor ware as it may or may not actually become a product.

I think Tivo is trying to stay alive and or find a buyer.

Also, I just called Tivo and asked them about the Series 3 and the deal with Comcast. The rep said "There's a whole bunch of information on our site about the Series 3...". He then directed me on how to get here.

:rolleyes:

No additional info on the Comcast deal or the Series 3. Hey, it was worth a try.

5. Jan 7, 2006 #5 of 189
    thechiz

thechiz New Member

Oct 2, 2005

Advertisements

For the last couple of days this forum has
    been like being around a hungry pack of wolves salivating.

Now, where's the beef ?

I read the CNET post last evening but could
    not bring myself to spoil the party until now.

6. Jan 7, 2006 #6 of 189
    MediaLivingRoom

MediaLivingRoom New Member

Dec 10, 2002
    I still think Apple may buy them on Tuesday, Jan 10

On another note:

CES 2005:
    "The new HD CableCARD DVR is in development and TiVo plans to launch the product early next year"

Well TiVo, where is it???

"TiVo's HD CableCARD DVR will be a premium product marketed toward consumers that want the very best in home entertainment."

It's going to be common place soon. It's a year too late. Get with it!!! TiVo should have released a CableCard 1.0 version at CES 2005 and then CableCard 2.0 for CES 2006.

---

7. Jan 7, 2006 #7 of 189
    ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Right, TiVo built a working prototype of an HD DVR and took it to a show just to give a few dozen people in an online forum something to speculate about. That seems reasonable.

Here is the "official announcement" you crave. It was a year ago. The ship date has slipped since then. That puts the Series 3 in the same category as the PS3, just like the article said.

What does that have to do with showing a product at a trade show?

What is special about you that entitles you to non-public information? Why does TiVo owe you information about the status of all of their projects?

8. Jan 7, 2006 #8 of 189
    CarlRx

CarlRx New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    The lack of information and the fact that there is no product apparently even close to being final sucks.

I love Tivo. I know pretty much everyone here loves Tivo, but we are seeing the beginning of the end without a viable product ready to distribute in the NEAR future.

D* and E* will both have newer HD-DVRs early in the year at a fraction of the cost of the "Series 3" Tivo. With many of the users here enjoying multi room capabilities, the rumored price point of the Tivo will cripple its acceptance IMO.

A sat provider's next gen DVR at 200-300 plus only $5 flat fee for multiple DVRs does not compare to a $500++ unit PLUS $300 lifetime or $12/mo + $7 per unit. The E* unit allows MRV like features, who knows if D* similar unit will materialize. But even 2 sat provider DVRs will likely be cheaper than a S3 tivo plus lifetime on each.

Another factor to consider is that MPEG4 transmitted material (yes I know not everything, but it will be the major local networks) will take up a fraction of the space resulting in more content that is able to be stored on the DVR.

I was hoping for some VERY positive news, and more progress from last year's CES. I want to stay with Tivo, but it is looking unlikely for me.

--Carl

9. Jan 7, 2006 #9 of 189
    MediaLivingRoom

MediaLivingRoom New Member

Dec 10, 2002
    They should have labled it "Prototype" Why print "Planned 2006" and say "technology demo," but the Series 3 box is "not an officially announced product." ???????

10. Jan 7, 2006 #10 of 189
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I read an article similar to the CNET one somewhere over on PCMag I think. My take is TiVo doesn't want to make a huge product announcement and risk the backlash of missing a target date or dropping a feature. They're playing it cool and being vague with the press to limit expectations. Whereas, megazone isn't the press - I believe his info's accurate as of now (and it's likely he's TiVoPony's microphone to TCF at CES).

11. Jan 7, 2006 #11 of 189
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I tend to agree, Dave (though, obviously, I am eternally optimistic with all things TiVo ;)). I believe mega has actually chatted with pony at CES, so I would tend to lean towards your take on this.

12. Jan 7, 2006 #12 of 189
    dmdeane

dmdeane sedentary adventurer

Apr 17, 2000
    North...
    Help! Help! The sky is falling! TiVo is doomed! :rolleyes:

13. Jan 7, 2006 #13 of 189
    tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    This all is starting to make sense. Didn't I read at some point that Tivo was developing a platform but they were looking for someone else to build it? Then the prototype idea fits. The final box could be a Humax and be of a simpler less expensive design but still hit the specs announced. Hmmmm......

14. Jan 7, 2006 #14 of 189
    Curtis

Curtis New Member

Dec 2, 2003
    From TiVo's 3Q conference call:

"Q - David Miller
    Hi, Tom, just a couple quick questions. You mentioned in your prepared remarks that you are testing different pricing scenarios for the series 2 boxes. Can you just touch briefly on when you expect to make a final decision and an announcement with regard to which way you re going to go? And then I just want to make sure I heard you clearly. Is the HD compatible DVR, the one with the cable card, set to still debut in January? That s the one you guys unveiled in last years consumer electronics show. And then if I could have a follow-up with Dave that would be great. Otherwise if you guys want to move on I understand.
    A - Tom Rogers
    I don t think we indicated a January date for the HD cable card product. That is something that is on track for delivery next year. It will be later in the year than that. But we are very focused on getting that product into the marketplace."

15. Jan 7, 2006 #15 of 189
    Curtis

Curtis New Member

Dec 2, 2003
    TiVo doesn't have any manufacturing facilities.

16. Jan 7, 2006 #16 of 189
    Justin Thyme

Mar 29, 2005
    I know its weird because when you think of "a Tivo" you think of a box. But Tivo really is a software and services company. Their "product" is not really the box, but the software and services that run on the box. If you look at their patents, they are software not hardware patents.

Not really so out of the ordinary- after all, the keynote for CES was once again delivered by Microsoft.

The biggest thing that Cablelabs is pushing is what? That people should be running OCAP (software) on all their Set Top boxes and cablecard devices.

The blur at CES concerns the bigger, faster etc hardware. But the fundamentals? Think about the content and the software. That is where the tectonic plates are moving.

17. Jan 7, 2006 #17 of 189
    tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    True, but they do have the Tivo brand on the current series 2 boxes. I was under the impression that they would not be doing that on the series 3 leaving that to Humax, Toshiba or whoever.

18. Jan 7, 2006 #18 of 189
    Justin Thyme

Mar 29, 2005
    No- though I have nothing to base this on but gut instinct. No way in heck anyone would sell a Tivo without the TivoGuy Logos, the startup sequence etc etc.

You would see the same sort of branding as you saw for example on the Toshiba DVD burner: Both Toshiba and Tivo brands prominently displayed on the unit and the remote.

19. Jan 7, 2006 #19 of 189
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    TiVo very much wants to be out of the CE business, but they've had a hard time lining up partners with enough volume to let them exit it. That's why the TiVo Series 2 exists at all.

TiVo uses Solectron to manufacture their boxes. But they'd be happier if all the boxes (and the headaches of supporting the hardware) were sold by the likes of Humax, Sony, etc.

20. Jan 7, 2006 #20 of 189
    Leo Valiant

Leo Valiant Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fresno, CA
    If Humax, Sony, etc don't step up to bat, I sure hope TiVo does it themselves this time, otherwise it's like CES 2003 all over again.

From 1/9/2003 TiVo press release: (referring to the SA HDTV TiVo)
    "The reference design will be licensed to leading CE manufacturers who are expected to offer the new DVR to consumers by the end of the year."