TIVO changing channels without asking

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TripletsplusAbby, Sep 13, 2007.

1. TripletsplusAbby

TripletsplusAbby New Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Stupid Issue here. Is this just my box or some other issue? I have a TIVo series 2 that will randomly change channel to TLC without warning. I get that pop of message asking if it is OK to change channels to record a TIVO select. But it changes to TLC, doesn't give a message and doesn't start recording. Even changes when TLC is mid show. Today to changed to turn TLC on in the Middle of the show "What Not to Wear" and didn't start recording. Seem to mostly do it during daytime. I have triple thumbs down on pretty much everything on TLC but TIVO still seems to love that channel. I have no idea how long this has been going on since I haven't been home watching live TV during the day much in the past 7 years that I have had TIVO. Noticed it about 6-8 months ago just haven't had time to deal with it. At first it was always at 10:30 for Baby Story (hate that show) but again it didn't record it just changed to it on me. Now it is doing it at other times of day also. Or again it has always been doing it at other times a day and I just haven't been AT the TV to notice.

Is this a quirk with this box or does TIVO just have a hard on for TLC?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Check the Season Pass Manager. I'll assume you have a cable box for the source for the TiVo. Could it be that the cable box is changing the channel itself and not by a command from the TiVo?

3. TripletsplusAbby

Sep 13, 2007
    I had checked to make sure none of the kids had accidentally put one of these shows as a season pass but didn't have anything set. And our set up does not include a cable box. No premium channels so no need for a box.

Just strange how it switches without the usual pop-up message and only to that station. Only an issue when we are behind watching a show but not recording it and it changes without warning making us miss a portion of the show or movie. Didn't know if it was something work a call to TIVO service over. Was hoping someone else had heard of this issue before.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    When (time of day) is it doing this?

5. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Are you *sure* you don't have a cable box? Tivo just doesn't do this kind of thing. This is typical of a forgotten VCR timer on a cable box.

6. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Could it be that Tivo is trying to download the Star material (or whatever those one-line ads are called) and is using this channel. I thought they did that during the early morning, and gave you a warning before changing the channel.

7. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Even if it were doing that, it would still indicate that it was recording. Hm. With only an RF in connection, it is a mystery.

Maybe the cable company puts TLC and some other network on a shared channel? You know, channel 31 is XYZ from 6 PM to 6 AM, and TLC from 6AM to 6 PM?

Does the blue tivo channel banner actually pop up when this channel change occurs? If so, maybe you're using a universal remote that's programmed with a timer?

8. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Can you actually tell when Tivo is recording the Star content? I thought it was info sent on some sub-channel and the info screen wouldn't necessarily show a recording.

9. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Yes; it will even complain if you try to change the channel. It's not a subchannel or anything like that; it's a regular program called "Teleworld Paid Program." You can even look it up in the guide.

10. TripletsplusAbby

Sep 13, 2007
    Thank you for your responses. I am sure I do not have a cable box. The only devices connected are the TIVO and a DVD player. No universal remote. Just the standard TIVO remote and the DVD remote that it came with. The TIVO is set up on our wireless network not with a phone line.

As for time of day when I first noticed this it was always 10:30am when my daughter was watching her TV time. It would change to A Baby Story. I was able to pay close attention to make sure I wasn't just missing the message. Recently as our schedules have changed I have seen it do it other times. Never noticed it in the evening. But it is rare for my hussband and I to watch live TV either.

Could it be a random signal on the wireless network? What the heck I will try unplugging it tomorrow and see if it changes at all.

11. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    GAH! When the channel changes, do you see the blue tivo banner pop up? If not, it is some component other than the tivo. Perhaps a timer on your TV.

12. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Have you tried a restart of Tivo (unplug it) since this began happening?