TiVo changing channels to play commercial for new season?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by casmith, Oct 1, 2007.

1. casmith

casmith New Member

Nov 24, 2006

Advertisements

I was recording an episode of The War on my non-TiVo DVR from 2-4:30 a.m. last week, which I had started by manually setting the TiVo to record the first 5 minutes at 2 a.m., and then the DVR timer records whatever is on the screen for the next 2 1/2 hours. But at the 3:33 a.m. hour mark on the recording, I see a message from TiVo that it wants to change the channel to provide me with some info for "personal account holders" or some such nonsense. Since it was 3:33 a.m. and I was fast asleep I couldn't tell it to forget it (remember, whatever appears on the monitor is recorded onto the DVD) so it switches over to this commercial for several of the new season shows on CBS and then stays on the CBS channel and I end up with some middle-of-the-night nonsense instead of the last hour of The War. :mad:

Has anybody had their TiVo do this recently? I think it was either Wednesday 9/26 or Thursday 9/27 at 3:33 a.m. I have never seen it change channels like this (I have ALWAYS had suggestions off).

Thanks.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    This is normal behavior; TiVos will record a special program for its showcases. In the past, this has been from Discovery but it might also use different channels depending on where TiVo has purchased time. You cannot disable this, but the programs it records use reserved space that is not available to you for your shows.

What you want to do is to make sure that TiVo thinks you are recording a show that you want it to save. Do not assume that the TiVo will simply stay on a current channel.

3. casmith

casmith New Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Thanks, Steve. How silly of me think that I was in charge!