TiVo CES news page up!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Bierboy, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Jan 4, 2006 #1 of 54
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    It's right here. It includes information on TiVo Desktop Beta 2.3.

2. Jan 4, 2006 #2 of 54
    JoeBarbs

JoeBarbs New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Link to priority list as well!

3. Jan 4, 2006 #3 of 54
    BrandonSi

BrandonSi New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Chicago, IL...
    How about support for my Apple® iMac :(

4. Jan 4, 2006 #4 of 54
    HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Great page; includes links to old press releases and nothing else. Sarcasm.

5. Jan 4, 2006 #5 of 54
    Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    Yeah- they put up the stuff to set the context of the announcements to come this week, but no new stuff yet as far as the releases. However, the new TTG signup was nice.

Automatic TTG. That's cool. Then you don't even have to fire up TTG desktop.

After setting up the shows you want on your portable, it will do all the copies for you. Then if you have your portable on autosync, all you do is dock it when you come home, and when you leave in the morning you have a fresh batch of stuff to watch.

Nice. Including Apple® iPods®.

For Free.

As in, minus the $1.99® charge from Uncle Steve.

6. Jan 4, 2006 #6 of 54
    Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    It's the identical link to last year's CES newspage, but was just updated today with the new info at the top and the TiVo Desktop 2.3 Beta signup....patience...I'm sure there's more to come :).

7. Jan 4, 2006 #7 of 54
    Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    Hey, it's kind of like the Christmas eve thing. At least we get one package to play with before the big event.

I didn't watch this page last year. What it a few announcements a day, or all at once?

8. Jan 4, 2006 #8 of 54
    gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    The current video iPod will probably be obsolete by the time Mac support for TTG is announced. Bad example, knowing Jobs that could happen this week. :rolleyes:

9. Jan 4, 2006 #9 of 54
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The Macworld expo is next week! Duh.

10. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Cool - I'm very excited to see the new software close to release. I think it will be good for consumers and I think it will be good for TiVo. Maybe megazone and some others will get pictures and details in the next few days.

Though I also like the idea of the Archos connecting directly to Dish and the new Lyra connecting directly to DTV. Wonder if TiVo is developing some sort of software stub for various PMCs work with existing USB ports - wouldn't that be groovy?

11. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    The Beta page notes that you will have to purchase the i-pod/psp software after the beta expires.

12. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Yah... they announced that earlier - it would cost 20 bucks or so. They've licensed a software codec and the fee will help cover that expense. Personally, I hope they change their mind and give it away - especially in the face of so much competition in the portable market these days.

13. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    I'd be much happier paying $20 for the desktop software than the $0.99 per transfer that has been sugested for the competition.

14. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs

I accidentally left out the part that I was reponding to in Justin's post - for free...

I don't mind TiVo charging for the software, though I'll admit that I'm gun shy and they'll give it away a week after I paid for it (I paid for HMO)... I don't mind them charging, I wish they had done that for the codecs for tivo playback. I wonder if those will be included in the $20 price... I'd rather have a bulletproof solution that worked for $20 than try to piece something together for free....

15. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    yawn.

16. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    I would think there would be some mention of Cable Card HD-TiVo. I know there's probably a bigger market for the portable devices, but there's a vocal contingent here waiting for a non-DirecTV HD-TiVo. Seeing as how it's CES, I would making anything HD my lead story and let the portable stuff take care of itself.

17. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma

This just keeps getting funnier every time I see a message like this.
    :) :) :) :) :)

18. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    ...me, too....c'mon, TiVo!

19. Hew

Hew New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Shouldn't they have made all their announcements by now? People are actually walking through the halls of CES and there is still no news. Why are they waiting so long... Or is it just that they have no news, other then the 2.3 beta.

When did all the news come out last CES? At the start of the show or during the show?

20. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    CES just started. Give them time to make their announcments. In the end it doesn't matter if they announce them on the first day or the last. I'm sure they have prepared for the event and know exactly what they are doing. Not every company wants to make their announcments at the same time as everyone else.