TiVo CEO webcast

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Curtis, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Jan 9, 2006 #1 of 15
    Curtis

Curtis New Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Earlier today.

Link

2. Jan 9, 2006 #2 of 15
    ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Interesting.

He said they got "3, 4, 5 times" the conversion rate with the $16.95/month, no upfront cost offer than they get with the traditional $12.95/month, buy the box offer. That's a pretty significant finding. And it sounds like that offer is coming to a retailer near you very soon.

(The "conversion rate" is the percentage of people who call up with an interest in TiVo who actually end up signing up.)

3. Jan 9, 2006 #3 of 15
    Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    11:57 "Some of you were at the CES show where we uh gave some demonstrations of the fact that we have already gotten the key the key Tivo features already working on the generic motorola box."
    - Tom Rogers, 16th Annual Entertainment, Media and Telecommunications Conference

I didn't read anyone report that. I think the word is late 2006 rollout, but still it is interesting to hear that bit.

4. Jan 9, 2006 #4 of 15
    ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    I thought that happened last year. I could be wrong, but that's how I interpreted it. I certainly haven't seen it mentioned in any of this year's coverage.

Edit: I went back and listened to Rogers again -- I now believe he was talking about this year's CES. And the person below in this thread seems to confirm that that's what was happening. I wonder if this is the thing Megazone overheard and wouldn't reveal?

5. Jan 9, 2006 #5 of 15
    headroll

headroll Let em' Roll

Jan 20, 2003
    Long...
    I didn't report it, but I was easedropping on a conversation between a Comcast and TiVo represenative about this very fact. TiVo said the box was fully funtionaing and there was a demo they could see outside of the main booth.

The Comcast rep asked the TiVo rep to be able to demo this to a larger group of Comcast representatives to 'get them more excited' about the deal.

-Roll

6. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Many CES booths and suites have 'back rooms' for meetings, demos that aren't meant for the public, etc.

7. Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    The infamous "private suite" upstairs... Great privilege if you can fenagle it. Dang. The way I go delusional when given any remotely suggestive bit of info, I'd probably never get a crack an invite. It's just as well I stayed away this year. It was nogo anyhow- Wife now into the 8th month so it could be any time now.

I suppose we will hear more in the next few months about the Moto box. That will give me something to do while changing the next batch of diapers. Twins too :eek:

8. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA
    Congratulations! Twins!

9. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    My wife had twins 8 years ago. the first 2 years are rough. You will be changing a buttload of diapers :D

But I just hugged my boy and girl twins goodnight, they sure do grow on you :)

10. Bondelev

Bondelev Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Burbank, CA

Tivo's booth WAS a private suit, which was IMHO a big mistake. They need a floor presence for advertizing. Only huge name brands can get by with ONLY a private booth. (It was impossible to find, BTW, the booth was the furthest away from the floor of any private booth.)

11. Dennis Wilkinson

Dennis Wilkinson Active Member

Sep 24, 2001
    East...
    Two buttloads, actually. :D

My wife & I had fraternal twin girls almost 2 1/2 years ago now. It's a lot of work at first, but they're a lot of fun now! Congratulations!

12. peteypete

peteypete New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Well, the fact that Rodger's wasn't even CEO last year would mean that he could only be talking about this year. It was a pretty good presentation. Backroom is probably necessary because Cable guys want to keep the deals hush hush until it's ready.

13. Globular

Globular No time to hack

Jun 9, 2004
    Groton, MA USA
    Hey! I have twins too! Boy/girl 9 year olds... I don't remember much from when they were little :)

Kinda freaky, all of us here with twins... something in the TiVo?

:D

14. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    I know - I was there, remember. ;-) And being a suite doesn't make it private, anyone can wander in and out. Note that TiVo had the back half of their space partioned off - back in there is there the real private rooms are hidden.

TiVo has been in that same location for at least three years running. And I talked with Pony about it - they very much prefer being there. They get the traffic they want without a lot of gawkers wandering through. Remember CES is an industry show first and foremost, and the people who need or want to meet with TiVo have no problem finding them. The fanboys, myself included, are not the primary target. They aren't there to suck in consumers wandering the floor.

The setup they have is a lot better for the kind of demos and conversations they have than the folks on the floor. And the cost is lower - to be on the floor you need to have a lot of rigging to be noticed at all.

15. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Total thread/forum hijack :rolleyes:

TiVo lets you be more spontaneous with err umm other things ;)

did you ever get the "oh are they identical twins?" just after saying they are a boy and girl to someone (when they were babies of course)

I owuld pause for about 3 seconds to let them get it on their own and if not then say "Well I change their diapers and am happy to say my Boy and Girl are not identical" :D