Tivo Central with picture and sound?

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by JLaamanen, Aug 16, 2009.

1. JLaamanen

JLaamanen Member

Nov 11, 2007

Advertisements

Seems to me you could have smaller (or translucent) Tivo Central with picture and sound (or just sound) so you could keep up with what you're watching while in Tivo Central.

Thanks
    John

2. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    I vote for that too.

3. Angerphile

Angerphile New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    It sounds like a good idea! :) Though, it'd prob reduce speeds. :mad:

4. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Not that I personally mind the idea, but working it so everyone would be happy with it wouldn't be easy. How many people have come here ranting that Tivo ruined a sporting event because it flipped automatically to live tv and they saw the score. This when they were watching it delayed. It is a very interesting idea though.

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL

Advertisements

The PC software (Nero LiquidTV) has a little picture-in-picture of Live TV while you're in TiVo Central.

[​IMG]

6. mathwhiz

mathwhiz Member

May 28, 2000
    Okemos, MI, USA
    I agree - this would be nice as an option - but that's it - make it an option. Some people don't want to watch live TV or a recorded program while navigating the menus. Could be a toggle where you could pop in video or not.

7. rdclark

rdclark Member

May 2, 2004
    I just recently got a TiVoHD (to go with my venerable Series 2) and sent the Motorola DVR back to Comcast.

Two things I liked better about the Moto:

1. PIP of "live TV" while in the "my DVR" interface. Exactly what this thread is talking about, already implemented by Moto.

2. A "space used" meter, in percent, right there on the DVR program list.

The TiVo is of course better in every other way, but if Moto can do these two things...

8. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    For #2, I don't know which way is better, but I think Tivo has made a conscious decision not to include the space meter. I think their vision is that automatically deleting the oldest recording (after the recently deleted ones and suggestions) makes the most sense and the user should not have to watch how much space is left. Right or wrong, I am just saying I don't think you'll ever see the space used.

Now, as for #1. Again, I don't know about Tivo Central having the PIP, but now that I think about it I wish the guide was PIP. I have never used a cable co DVR but I think the overlay they have right now is very poor for the guide.

9. kika2000

kika2000 Member

Apr 20, 2009
    NYC
    PIG is one of the thing I miss most with Tivo so I heartily agree.

The guide structure feels a little unfriendly if you watch a lot of live tv. My SA8300HDC is getting alot more use than I expected post - Tivo purchase.

If people have a problem with accidentally seeing something they don't want to see, then I vote for optional on/off.

10. JLaamanen

JLaamanen Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Thanks for comments..
    Makes me think I might not be as crazy as I sometimes think :)
    Didn't know about other DVR options.
    John

11. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Well ask and you shall receive. Although if it happens to you note that your Tivo is most likely going to reboot shortly thereafter. This has happened a couple of times where it stays on live TV for a couple of minutes. Sometimes it reboots sometimes it doesn't, but it obviously isn't supposed to happen.

Attached Files:

12. floaridar

floaridar New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Sierra Leone
    hi, my cable company gave me a motorola hd set top cable box. i looked at the back of it and it has ieee-1394 ports as well as a usb on the front.

what can i do with these. i was hoping of some way connecting it to my pc and using it as a dvr ?

thanks,