TiVo can't tune one OTA HD channel

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by kenmac, Nov 10, 2011.

1. kenmac

kenmac New Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Has anyone seen this before.

I have one channel (44.1) that I can't reliably get TiVo to tune to. At least 9 times out of 10 any attempt to choose it from the guide or start a recording gets a blank screen with "Problem with the signal on this antenna channel. Trying again". If I enter 44 on the remote, it searches for a bit but will always tune in the correct channel. I don't understand why it will tune the channel one way but not the other.

I checked in the diagnostics by putting 44.1 from the guide on one tuner and 44 from the remote on the other. All the settings were identical except for program lock.

I've tried running guided setup over, clear and delete all, pull the power. Nothing seems to work. I've emailed and called tivo support but they have no ideas so far.

Any ideas? I'm at the point where I will soon be just calling TiVo to cancel and selling the premiere.

2. phone man

phone man Member

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm a new Tivo user also and had a similar problem with a weak channel when I tried to do a channel scan. I waited until later that evening when the weak channels come in better, scanned again and then it worked fine. Weird thing was the channel showed up in the guide but I suppose that information came from the internet and not because the tuner had locked it in previously.
    Is 44.1 a strong channel that would normally come in any time of day?
    One more thing that took me a while to find out, actually I found the answer online but not on Tivo's website. When manually entering an OTA channel on the remote, use the 30 second skip/forward button in place of the decimal point.

3. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Where are you? What kind of antenna? How far away is that station? What is the actual RF channel (frequency assignment)? For example, could it be a VHF channel when all your others are really UHF and you're using a UHF antenna?

Also, "Problem with the signal on this antenna channel. Trying again" usually means just that: somthing is wonky with the signal. When I see that, it means that a local retransmitter is putting out a carrier, but it isn't receiving any transport stream from the main station.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The remote that came with the used S3 HD I just got looks just like the remotes that came with my 2 S2 DTs, except that the skip button has a hyphen inside parenthesees silkscreened above it, and the Window button now says Aspect.