TIVO Can't Connect For Daily Call (Number Unavailable)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by strocky, Jul 16, 2007.

1. strocky

strocky New Member

Dec 7, 2004

Advertisements

My TIVO was networked so have'nt used the dialup option for years.

However for some reason or another my router does'nt see the TIVO at the moment.

No problem, I decided to go back to the old way (i.e. dial up)

However, when I try a test call it goes through preparing & dialling, but gets stuck at connecting for about 10 mins before telling me the "failed - number unavailable".

I've deleted the network prefix, tried the local rate number for TIVO (0845 088 5336) and still get the same problem.

My telephone provider is Virgin Media

Any suggestions?

2. strocky

strocky New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    just dialled the 0845 number on my landline and definetly getting a modem connection.

Sounds like my modem might be fritzed (although it does pass the dialling marker) :confused:

3. Pugwash

Pugwash New Member

May 23, 2003
    Spalding'ish
    Did you run the nic_config doodah and choose dialup, or just assume removing the network prefix did it?

4. strocky

strocky New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    I entered it via the TIVO frontpage (i.e. edited out the prefix)

I can't get the TIVO on the network at the moment, so I can't get to the bash prompt :eek:

5. strocky

strocky New Member

Dec 7, 2004

Advertisements

bump :eek:

6. CouchPotato

CouchPotato Edible Starchy Tuber

Jan 25, 2001
    Glasgow,...
    I may be wrong on this, but I think the dial prefix means bugg3r all for UK TiVos -- the key is the settings created by nic_config_tivo, so I would guess your TiVo is till trying to call via the network.

I had a similar problem recently. It was down to a mis-configuration of Tivoweb in the startup script -- I didn't have the ampersand ('&') at the end of the line to ensure it was launched in the background. Apparently this is not always fatal, it causes problems only sometimes (some sort of race condition, I guess). In my case editing the startup script fixed the problem.

Whatever you do, don't enable the test option of nic_config_tivo. This sets it up to run a network test on reboot, and then disable itself. In other words you'll lose all network connectivity and have to pull the drive to get it back. This is what happened to me :( ...

cp

7. Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    Not quite.

The networking prefixes do nothing on Series 1 (UK) TiVos.

However some commands do work. One is especially useful if you use a wireless phone line extender to change the phone voltage ??? Search the old threads for Phonex and phone extender and you will find the exact commands allowed.