Tivo cancels CES press conference....

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by lynesjc, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Jan 5, 2006 #1 of 24
    lynesjc

lynesjc New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Simpsonville...
  2. Jan 5, 2006 #2 of 24
    NickIN

NickIN Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Indiana
    That doesn't mean there isn't going to be a SA HD TiVo. Maybe they just didn't think it was worth making a huge press deal out of. And we still have a few more days of CES, you never know what's coming.

3. Jan 5, 2006 #3 of 24
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    So exactly how do you decide you have something to warrant scheduling such an event then just hours or days before decide you don't want to have it?

If the true reason were because you felt you'd covered things well over the preceding months and had nothing new to say, I think you'd know that before you came to town to set up your booth, right? More likely they didn't want to deal with attention to delays or whatever they'd planned to announce suddenly looked too lame compared to competitive announcements.

4. Jan 5, 2006 #4 of 24
    tivolocity

tivolocity Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Denver, CO
    So, let the rumors begin. Maybe it's because they're being acquired by Apple and will be making their big announcement at MacWorld.

5. Jan 5, 2006 #5 of 24
    tivolocity

tivolocity Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Or, like Doug said, they're just lame. :)

6. Jan 5, 2006 #6 of 24
    lynesjc

lynesjc New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Simpsonville...
    You've got to be kidding me. CC HD Tivo is nothing if not worthy of a huge press deal.

They got nothing, nada, zip.

They're not going to do one b/c it will compete with their partnership with Comcast, which at this point is where they have all their eggs.

They will continue to pursue partnership with the cable cos, not pursue their own stand alone offering.

I don't see any other reasonable interpretation.

Again, very depressing. All of us in non-comcraptastic areas will soon be faced with using a piece of **** pvr that pales in comparison to Tivo, a company that was a pioneer but in the end, failed us.

The truly sad thing is, if they ever got it together and came out with a standalone CC hd tivo in 2007, it would still probably be the best thing on the market.

Microsoft are the only ones I envision with a better product by then with CC Vista pc's.

7. Jan 5, 2006 #7 of 24
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Wow...

Believe it or not... I am a Fan of TiVo.. (Believe it or not)

But I think that something bad is happenning with the "little TiVo Guy"... :(

8. Jan 5, 2006 #8 of 24
    neilaevans

neilaevans Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Well, they ARE showing a working dual tuner Cablecard HD Tivo, with release date "mid-to-late 2006" so hopefully nothing too bad is happening. However, that kind of makes the cancellation of the press conference even stranger...

9. Jan 5, 2006 #9 of 24
    Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004

I'm thinking about it!

10. nyjklein

nyjklein J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets TCF Club

Aug 8, 2002
    North...
    Where'd did that come from? Are you there and claiming to have seen it?

11. neilaevans

neilaevans Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Los Angeles
    No, I'm not there, but someone else (Megazone) is. Check out the threads in the Coffee House, or just go to www.tivolovers.com for the original source...

12. jcblack

jcblack New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    lexington, ky
  13. tivolocity

tivolocity Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Looks awesome! Now we just have to see if it actually ships, since they announced this at CES 05 too.

14. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
  15. Brewer4

Brewer4 New Member

May 6, 2004
    Connecticut
    I feel the same. Best darn consumer electronics product ever. However, its not looking so good for them. That Version 3 unit with cable cards should have been out first half of this year. How long have they been talking about cable card Tivos? Its a sad day indeed. I feel like Tivo is in the slow lane and other "players" are zipping around them at light speed.

16. calitivo

calitivo Active Member

Dec 5, 2002

Unfortunately, I agree. Having worked in the software world for a while, I understand that it's difficult to roll out new software in a short timeframe. Despite this, one year is quite a long time and considering they run on Linux, this shouldn't take 20 months to code/build/test/implement, even if they started from scratch. It's not like there are a million functions here like an enterprise solution.

What's even more surprising to me is the podunk attempts by the competition. People prefer Tivo for its interface and ease of use. Why others haven't basically copied these traits surprises me. This won't be the case forever though. Tivo seems to be headed in the right directions with increased functionality and SA HD support, but its taking way too long to get there.

17. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    TiVoOpsMgr's comment regarding never having had a press conference scheduled makes me feel a whole lot better about the state of things with TiVo. The picture in the engadget.com piece of the CableCard HD unit (prototype?) also looks very nice.

Perhaps there's still hope. ;)

18. lynesjc

lynesjc New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Simpsonville...
  19. GTO40

GTO40 Tivo Addict

Jul 25, 2005
    Midwest -...
    HD SA Tivo looks similar to the Sony DHG-HD500!

20. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    Wow, lynesjc. Did you get whiplash from that 180 turn?