TiVo, Canada, and some questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Caspin, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Caspin

Caspin New Member

Nov 14, 2007

Advertisements

Hello,

I had some question about getting a TiVo in Canada.

1. Can TiVo record without the subscription? Will there be an channal guide for me to select what to record?

2. Will it work with Rogers Cable (not digital) or Aliant TV?

3. Are there any drawbacks with having a TiVo in Canada?

4. Will TiVo complete me in ways my girlfriend can't?

Thanks,

-- Kenny

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    1:No, you need the sub*. Yes, there is guide data with the TiVo service

*All Series 2/3 TiVos require subscription to work, excpt Toshiba and Pioneer models come with a free level of service called TiVo Basic.

2: It will work with either, or at least should.

3: Once you have one, no. You will not be able to subscribe to Unbox, and likely Rhapsody, nor be able to deal with TiVo for warranty support. There may be fewer dial-ins. Series 1s are not supported in Canada.

4: Depends really. In my world, it allows me to get the most of my satellite TV subscription, and frees me from TV on their schedule, allowing me to go out some times.

3. reidjr

reidjr New Member

Nov 10, 2006
    There is really no drawbacks to having tivo in canada.

4. Caspin

Caspin New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    So what is the best way to buy and import a TiVo to canada?

5. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Redmond, WA

Advertisements

About a week ago, someone posted in this forum indicating that they were the authorised Tivo reseller for Canada. However, I can no longer find that thread. Anyone know what happened to it? Did it turn out to be a scam (and so was removed by the mods)?

One thing to note is that you will likely want to avoid the S3/THD units. They require cable cards in order to receive cable service above analog cable, and unlike the FCC, the CRTC has not yet mandated cable card usage (and doesn't appear as if it will do so anytime in the near future).

I'd say that the unit to get for usage in Canada is the S2 DT.

To verify that Tivo works with your cable provider, go to TV listings section of zap2it.com, select to change your channel lineup, enter your postal code, and see if your cable provider is supported. If it's supported on zap2it, it'll be supported by Tivo.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Avoiding them or not depends on what one wants or expects out of a Tivo.
    If you need a dual tuner TiVo and to record OTA, the S3 and HD are your only options whether you're in Canada or the U.S. The only reason to stay away from these models is if you do need to record digital cable channels.

7. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Go across the border on the 23rd, the day after our Thanksgiving. There will probably be a sale, though you'll have to battle the crowds to take advantage.

8. Caspin

Caspin New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    I live in Newfoundland.. LOL.. No crossing boarders.

9. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You can take your chances and purchase a second hand one online. Find a US based online retailer that ships to Canada. Have a friend in the USA accept delivery from online stores that ship to the USA only, or go buy one in person, then ship it to you.