TiVo 'CableCARD' issue - I don't believe it's Xfinity

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by WVZR1, Feb 25, 2021.

1. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

Advertisements

I bought a Bolt in 2019 w/Summer Sale. Received it, rolled it back to TE3, put it on the shelf and connected it occasionally to do updates because I was happy with my 1080P Plasma. I didn't do a CableCARD until yesterday. Drove 37 miles to Xfinity store, returned an activation on the web failed. Did a CHAT w/Xfinity and they seem to feel that the card was 'paired' correctly. I believe them .... TiVo didn't want to discuss it at all, they said get another card! Made the drive today for Card #2, pairing fails exactly like the first. Xfinity has done I believe very good at attempt to help!

My exchange with TiVo 30 minutes ago ended with a TiVo 'statement' that they will do nothing until an attempt with a third card.

Would it make any sense to maybe roll it to TE4 and try again before the drive to get the third card?

They won't discuss a thing with me regarding the Bolt until after the third CableCARD attempt. I've spend some $$ preparing to 'stuff' this thing into the HDR212 - should I consider maybe a dumpster?

Has anyone any experience with TiVo after taking a 'never CableCARD activated' device out of the closet attempted activating w/failure? Did TiVo make 'all good'? It ain't the same TiVo!!

2. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    i have Xfinity and I’ve never had a Tivo fail to pair a cableCard because of the Tivo itself. I’ve also never had a card fail either. I’ve had the pairing system fail to do some kind of communication issue which was later resolved.

That was years ago and Xfinity’s card support has been very good recently as long as all the pairing and serial numbers are correct and your billing code in Xfinity’s system is correct

Have you tried going through the cablecard troubleshooting steps?

https://support.tivo.com/articles/Knowledge/CableCARD-Troubleshooting

If so at what point does the steps fail? That info will tell you why pairing is failing.

Note that Tivo says they will do a 3-way call with Xfinity.

3. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    CableCARD (1).jpg CableCARD (2).jpg CableCARD (3).jpg CableCARD (4).jpg CableCARD (5).jpg

Tivo asked for permission for the 3-way and I agreed, I provided all of the information for the 3-way to Comcast when they answered and after all of the OKs, last 4 of the SSN etc, the TiVo rep never responded in the 3-way leaving me and Comcast with the Comcast CSR wondering what was going on.

Last evening the Xfinity Activation 'timed out' and I got error 'gateway connection', so I called and all seemed to go well. Very early this AM I thought I'd try the activation again and I got an 'Only in Boston Market (8773) (first image). Images shortly!! Image 5 was this AM using a 'history link' from yesterday and those #'s at that time were a match.

I've run Guided Set Up maybe 5 times, always end up with either 78% or on a couple occasions 89%, I've never gotten the "V" on the Conditional Access Screen. Xfinity feels the billing codes are done correctly!!

Done the troubleshooting maybe 3 - 4 times.

Would you mind trying the activation addy? Hasn't worked for me from this IP all day. Xfinity was to have been doing some maintenance 1 - 6AM today here.

This is activation link presently from my IP: same as Image 1

Welcome Page

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  4. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    That page loads, but I didn’t go any further as I don’t want to mess up anything.

5. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

Advertisements

Loads to 'Activation as we know it' OR Boston 8773?

The Comcast employee in the CableCARD dept called me before the end of his shift to see if the 2d card did well and he said it's NOT unusual for Tivo to insist on at least 3 attempts with different cards or sometimes 'more'. Not unusual at all he mentioned. He's tagged my call suggesting they hand me 2 and if they've plenty maybe 3. I've never had an issue with Xfinity Activation, but since maybe '08 I've done maybe 4 not counting the 'multi-card' S3 HD.

The only other oddity he observed is he thought that the 'DATA ID' would change every time a CableCARD was inserted. We removed mine twice and each time it kept the same ID. Remove screen says 'NO CARD' - insert and it picked up same 'DATA ID'. I've no idea. We connected directly to the modem bypassing a switch and router, changed nothing.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  6. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I believe the DATA ID only changes if you insert a different card into the Tivo, remove it and then insert the original card. Simply removing and reinserting the card doesn’t normally clear the DATA ID.

WVZR1 likes this.
  7. seaninde

seaninde Active Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Why doesn't comcast just do it for you over the phone. I found over the years the website is hit or miss and usually always required a comcast person on phone to fix it. I did have a problem with my first card I tried and got a second card which did work. These cards are not new and have been around the block quite a few times.

8. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I actually did discuss 'over the phone' which is COMPLICATED! I DO NOT SPEAK IN A MANNER THAT 'MOST' CAN UNDERSTAND!!!

I just asked which 'web access' was opening - the older for '8773' or the 'current' as we know it 'SELF FOR MOST OF XFINITY NATION'

@morac - this AM very early 6AM dug out an older Series 4 that has current updates and it seems to have failed also. I was very tempted to pull the working CableCARD from my Roamio and try it.

Quiz - since it's a working card would it work and I just lose maybe some channels? If it did/or didn't what happens when I put it back in the Roamio where it's working now?

This AM after clearing cache and other what NOT I got 404 not found (2-times) and after clearing again I got the '8773' Boston market. That's from my current IP - what happens from other IP's?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  9. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Pulling the card from your Roamio and putting it in your other Tivo would break the pairing on it. It would still be activated though.

An activated card should be able to tune all but protected channels (I.e. premium channels). Pairing is only really needed if you want to tune protected channels.

If you can’t tune any channels, than the card isn’t activated which means either the card is bad or Comcast didn’t input the serial number correctly. That or all your channels are protected, but Comcast stopped doing that in most areas over a decade ago.

Speaking of the serial number, you probably should remove the photo of your card’s serial and data number.

Edit:

Another thing you can check is that serial number is correct (for example 0 wasn’t mistaken for O or vice-versa). Though normally the serial number is added to your account when the card is provided to you, it could have been entered wrong.

10. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Before I left the store I had the rep check again the #'s, confirm billing was changed etc. I doubt anyone could do anything with the CableCARD info - is what it is! Belongs to Xfinity 'not' WVZR1!!

So I could pull the Roamio and try? I would loose conceivably only1 premium.

Both cards I've had fail at 72% of channel scan and I get NONE!

11. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    That the box can’t get the channel info from the card tells me either the card is bad or it’s not activated. That or there’s a communication problem, but that’s unlikely since you have an existing Roamio with cards. It’s always possible there’s a wiring problem though where you put your new TiVo.

WVZR1 likes this.
  12. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    NO chance wiring error - carried the Bolt to the Roamio location, used that coax, network connection and HDMI - 'same failure' I didn't carry Roamio to the Bolt location because it's in a 'stack' but 'Stand By' I'm going to pull the Roamio Card and try it.

That didn't work and to make matters worse when reinserted back into the Roamio the Roamio now has ? in 'Conditional Access' screen. I get V58 error for all channels.

13. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Sorry but decades of experience on TCF has shown that in 98% of all cases it's Comcast, i'm not saying you're not one of the 2% but keep that stat in mind.

cwoody222 and kpeters59 like this.
  14. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    As mentioned, moving your card to the Roamio and back caused it to lose pairing, hence the ? Conditional access.

V58 means the card thinks your channels isn’t authorized. Comcast periodically sends a list of authorized channels to the card over the cable in the OOB signal. If the signal isn’t received or the card isn’t activated, you’ll get that error. That shouldn’t have anything to do with pairing technically, but since you broke pairing by moving the cards around it’s possible it could.

At this point I would contact the Comcast cablecard line and re-pair the Roamio and have them send a refresh/hit on the cards. That should get the Roamio working again. You can try rebooting first though.

Tivo Customer Support Community

15. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    Do you have an extra Tivo, HDHR Prime or other cablecard device you don't use? If so put the cablecard you want to use in this extra device and write down the Host Id and Data numbers. Remove cablecard and set it aside.

You can skip this part if you happen to have a Host Id and Data numbers written down from when the extra Tivo or other cablecard device was used in the past. You can even use a Host Id and Data numbers from someone elses unused device. You just use these numbers temporarily in order to remove the failed pairing from your main Tivo.

Cablecard doesn't need to be in extra device for this next step. Now, pair the cablecard with the extra device Host Id and Data numbers. That will unpair the card from your main Tivo.

Now, put cablecard back in main Tivo and write down Host Id and Data numbers. Then pair the cablecard to the main Tivo.

It may take a few back and forth pairings between the two sets of HostId and Data numbers. You don't need to move cablecard for redoing the pairings of the same cablecard between boxes.

WVZR1 likes this.
  16. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Working as of 4:15 EST ... such a long story .. moving forward with the plans to 'stuff' this into the HDR212 cabinet!

@spiderpumpkin - I said NO to Hydra/TE4 a very long time ago!

17. CommunityMember

CommunityMember Active Member

May 22, 2020
    In addition, the DATA ID can (but may not always) change when Comcast uses the "big hammer" to reset/reprogram the CableCARD when it refuses to activate (I have lost track of which term Comcast uses internally, perhaps DAC Init or Cold init). It is important to check to see if the DATA ID changes (and then update the info as needed) after a Comcast CSR uses such a tool.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  18. CommunityMember

CommunityMember Active Member

May 22, 2020
    Sadly, at this point, I suspect a fair number of the CableCARDs at a location may be in one/more stages of being bad.

The problem is that when a customer returns a CableCARD it seems as if it gets put back in the pile to reissue (refurbishment for a CableCARD appears to be wipe it with a cloth). No problem, one might think. However some of those cards were returned because they were not working/bad (there is no way for the local office to check). And over time a fair number of the (returned) cards in the pile may be bad (if the card is good, the customer keeps it, and if it does not work they exchange it). I once got a CableCARD handed to me that had the word "BAD" written on it with a indelible ink marker (I have no idea if it was really bad, and neither did the CSR, but I asked for another card, as I did not need someone else's problems).

That is why the (unofficial) recommendation is "take a pile" (presuming the store has a pile to offer) and try each one and then return those that you don't need (to avoid more fees than necessary).

btw, other than a bad card, the most common issue is bad signal in the OOB frequencies. One can check on the diagnostic screen to make sure there is lock.

19. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    When we were Adelphia and had a very efficient 'local office' if the 'office' had CableCARD inventory it had been through a recertification process. There was 'no pile' and if there was a return it wouldn't go back to inventory until 'recertified' - at that time it was difficult to even do a 'self-activation'. That 'local office' continued to do recertification even after Comcast acquired Adelphia I'm quite sure. Comcast of course 'shuttered' a very efficient operation and forced 30 mile drives for any communication 'toe to toe'.

20. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    Don't leave us hanging :)
    was it or wasn't it an Xfinity problem?