Tivo,CableBox,Satellite Box, Record & Watch Another Program

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by petek, Jan 5, 2006.

1. petek

petek New Member

Jan 5, 2006

Advertisements

I have a Cable Box, a satellite box, Tivo, and a VHS/DVD Player. I would like to record a cable program while watching another program. TIVO customer tech support says I cannot do this. Does anyone know of a fix

2. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Is your TiVo set up to work with both a cable box and a satellite box at the same time?

I didn't know that was one of the options.

Are you saying you already have it set up that way, or that you'd LIKE to set it up that way?

3. petek

petek New Member

Jan 5, 2006
    You can set it up that way, but you cannot record and watch another program at the same time.

4. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    If you're looking to set the TiVo to record one channel, but then also set the TiVo to a different channel to watch, it can't because stand-alone TiVo's are only designed to receive one channel at a time.

If your cable box has more than one output, or you can split the output from it, you could run a second feed to your TV.

Likewise with your satellite box. If it can feed more than one piece of equipment at a time, or the cable can be split AFTER the satellite tuner, you could run the second line to your TV.

Using different inputs or a switchbox, you could, at your TV, select between the cable box, the satellite tuner, and your TiVo.

Just remember, tho'-

If you're recording from the satellite box, you won't be able to watch a different satellite channel on the TV, unless the satellite box has two tuners.

Likewise your cable box. It also can likely only tune one channel at a time. If your TiVo is using the cable box, your TV can't use the cable box to watch a different channel.

Now if you split the cable BEFORE the cable box, you could feed unscrambled analog channels directly to your TV (again, likely thru a switchbox).