Tivo c/s

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TheJose1972, Nov 12, 2017.

1. TheJose1972

TheJose1972 New Member

Oct 19, 2017

Advertisements

Does tivo no longer have english speaking cs people? They did back in 2016. Now its overseas customer support and they suck.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It is "English" and "it's". I think it's called Globalization (or Globalisation). :)

jrtroo and kpeters59 like this.
  3. kclfoxtrot

kclfoxtrot New Member

May 6, 2014
    It is called outsourcing aka Cheap Labor.

4. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    More like slave labour based on our hourly wages..

5. idksmy

idksmy Guest

Jul 16, 2016

Advertisements

But it is a good wage based on the local economy.

Poor service, poor language skills, etc., are all under the control of the support contract signed between the on shore company and the off shore service provider. If poor service is being provided, I.e., the off shore company is not meeting the contractually agreed to Service Level Agreements (SLAs) then Tivo should be enforcing the penalties.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Being able to speak and understand English is completely different than being able to understand how a TiVos functions in the US and how to understand a person's problem and to be able to creatively debug it. The concept that someone who doesn't personally know anything about using a TiVo for OTA or cable can solve anything but the most basic problems via a script is complete foolishness. I would guess that half the time they don't even understand what someone is trying to tell them the problem is they just pick a script and go from there.

Most of us around here know what 1st level support is going to have you do and can do it ourselves without trying to communicate with someone you can only half understand and likely only half understands you. All that is fine for 1st level support, what I find intolerable is that it now appears (based on people's posts) that upper level support has also now moved off shore and similarly has no experience actually using a TiVo.

I feel for anyone that has an unusual problem and has to deal with trying to get support to figure out what is wrong and how to fix it.

ClearToLand likes this.
  7. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    Oh that is a fair point. And the cost of living is different there than it is. Our dollar spends so much farther there than here.

8. chicagoenergy

chicagoenergy energychicago

Nov 14, 2013
    Chicago
    Priceless

And I agree... English isn't always the issue but the fact that many "Helpless desk" support centers out there have people who are just reading off a script and really don't know about what they are supposed to be helping with.

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sometimes, even before offshore was the trend, I felt TiVo people didn't use TiVo boxes. However, the one time I had to call TiVo (several years ago) I was 100% satisfied. Now, I will just wait and hope the "problem" goes away. It has worked so far. But I'm very patient. I have also learned the value of a two front assault. I always post on the TiVo help forums. Not as good as TCF, but it's easy and puts a new set of eyeballs on a problem. At this time I'm 1 for 2:
    No more failed TCP Port 37 errors. But still no counting of RS Corrected errors on basic Roamio & Bolt. I'm patient, like I said.

10. Sptrader

Sptrader Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Just to be fair to Tivo customer service. I purchased a used Mini a few weeks ago and had to have the mini transferred into my account. The lady at Tivo handled it in less than 10 minutes and I had no problem understanding her. So I guess it just depends on which representative you get on the phone.

JoeKustra likes this.
  11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Next time try to do it on-line. I added an eBay Roamio to my account in about two minutes. I think we all have good stories and bad stories to tell. That's just life.

JACKASTOR likes this.
  12. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    Usually they are supporting many other products than the current scripted one..

13. idksmy

idksmy Guest

Jul 16, 2016
    [Newsflash] - Help Desks are not Level 3 experts on the products they support. [/Newsflash]

14. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    But they should have working knowledge of the product they are supporting.

15. idksmy

idksmy Guest

Jul 16, 2016
    How do you know they don't?

16. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    You really don’t know? It’s a pretty obvious answer.

17. idksmy

idksmy Guest

Jul 16, 2016
    You’re making an assumption. You have no knowledge of what training they get.

Like many discussion forums, people tend to join to get a problem solved or to complain, like this thread. There is almost never a shortage of people who want to help nor a shortage of people to jump on the ‘Bash the Help Desk’ band wagon.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  18. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    One would like to think that's the way an offshore helpdesk works, but IME that isn't how it really works, we had to provide the outsource team with a bible of ALL possible issues they might come up on in a help desk call. Keep in mind that this was a simple corporate end user windows helpdesk.

JACKASTOR likes this.
  19. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    In my experience tech support is getting much of their TiVo experience vicariously through listening to us describe our problems.

Shipping and order problems they are ok with or maybe even better than US support at times because they are more willing to please.

slowbiscuit and JACKASTOR like this.
  20. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    A valid point indeed. And shipping or purchase issues aside it’s basically tech support that is generally crappy. and tech support is in all honesty the hardest thing to do over a phone.