TIVO-burned DVDs play on non-TIVO systems?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by dgrrr, Jan 19, 2006.

1. dgrrr

dgrrr New Member

Jan 19, 2006
    Quickie question....

I read that the current generation TIVO DVD Recorders put a "tivo-like menu" on the DVD's they burn...

But such a TIVO-burned DVD can PLAY on ANY OLD DVD PLAYER, right? The DVD player doesn't have to be related to TIVO at all, to play it?

e.g. My mother burns a DVD using her TIVO DVD Recorder device. Then she ships one off to my grandpa in prison in alaska who has some old non-tivo DVD player...

it'll still play?

How bout my brother in prison in paris? (Are the dvd's in european prison system different?)

(And what about my grandma? Can she watch tivo dvd's in hell?)

2. shabadoo25

shabadoo25 New Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Orlando FL USA
    It looks like a TiVo menu, but it's really not. I can't answer the European question, but it will work in a regular dvd player.

3. b5ver

b5ver TivoPup

Jan 16, 2005
    Arlingtax, VA
    and on laptops.

4. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    The TiVo DVD burners product DVDs compliant with the DVD Video specification, encoded in NTSC. So any DVD Video system that supports NTSC DVDs will play them, so long as they handle -R or -RW media in general.

European DVD systems are usually PAL, not NTSC, but many of them will handle NTSC discs as well. So it really depends on what the deck handles. PC based players don't care for the most part.

I don't know about hell, they probably use SECAM...

5. dgrrr

dgrrr New Member

Jan 19, 2006
    And by "tivo type menus" are we also talking about the ability to go forward at three different speeds?

6. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    No. That's a function of the player. When you start playing the DVD you get a "Now Playing" style menu, selecting an item gives the program info screen, select play and you're playing a video stream. At that point only the DVD players standard functions are available.

7. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    some older DVD players may have difficulty with burned DVDs in general - this has nothing to do with TiVo specifically, but is worth pointing out in a discussion like this. If there's a 5+ year old dvd player, don't hold your breath....

8. Jun 5, 2006 #8 of 10
    DaisyChain

DaisyChain New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    Dvds made on my Tivo DVD-DVR, play just fine on my Dvd player in my Toshiba television and also in my laptop. I have not tried it elsewhere. However I hear they also work on Playstation 2 dvd player ;)

The Tivo menu really doesn't mean anything other than letting people know where the disc came from.

9. Jun 5, 2006 #9 of 10
    megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    DVD-R has a lower reflectivity than factory DVD Video discs, and DVD-RW is lower still.

That lower reflectivity caused problems with some early players. When they tried to read the data they'd sometimes thing they were reading the top layer of a dual-layer disc, or they just couldn't read it at all. Some players have firmware updates to fix the problem, and any player sold for the past few years should handle -R/RW just fine. It was really only an issue with early units.

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Just as recently as 2 days ago, I found that a newly-created TIVO-created DVD would not run automatically on my IBM Thinkpad. While I got a TIVO menu screen, there were no contents listed in it. However, I could play the contents by opening the DVD folder itself and playing the files directly.

This has happened to me in the past as well.