Tivo boxes communicating with each other

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by pspens, Jun 29, 2020.

1. pspens

pspens Member

Jan 20, 2013
    I have 2 Tivo boxes: a Premier XL 4 and a series 2 both connected to my network via wireless Tivo adapters. In the past, I have noticed that each of them appear in the other's "My Shows" list. i have purchased a new router and noticed that they no longer appeared I rebooted both of the Tivos and the Series 2 appeared in the Premier's My Shows, but not vice versa. How is this mechanism managed? Is it possible my new router is the problem or should the router not matter?

Thanks for any info on this.

2. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    How long have they bee up on new router? If less than 24 hours, give it some time.

3. pspens

pspens Member

Jan 20, 2013
    I set up the router on Friday, 6/26.

4. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    Should be long enough.

5. pspens

pspens Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Which is why I'm asking if anyone knows what the mechanism is and if the router could be at fault. I see entrys for both Tivos in the router's "attached devices".

6. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    The new router is probably blocking the broadcast packets that your TiVos use to find each other. Look through the router's advanced settings and make sure that it isn't blocking broadcast (or multicast) packets, and turn off IMP Snooping if it has a setting for it.

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    In a router it's called IGMP Proxying. From my Netgear:
    igmp_proxying.png

8. pspens

pspens Member

Jan 20, 2013
    I don't any settings that refer to "multicast". The only reference to broadcast is the setting to broadcast the SSID. Not do I see any setting for IMP Snooping (whatever that is...) I see a checked setting to disable IGMP proxying and I don't know what that means, either. Response to ping is disabled. There is something called WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia), which is enabled for both bands.

9. pspens

pspens Member

Jan 20, 2013
    I have a NetGear Dual-band gigibit router--R6220. I upgraded to this router to enable 200 Mbps speeds. My previous router was only "Fast Internet" and was bottlenecking my network.

10. pspens

pspens Member

Jan 20, 2013
    I'm happy to report that my Premier has now shown up on my Series 2. I sure would like to know the under-the-hood details of how this works...

11. pspens

pspens Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Now the Series 2 has disappeared from my Premier ??? Someone has to know how this works.

12. pspens

pspens Member

Jan 20, 2013
    The visibility of the other Tivo boxes seems to randomly appear and disappear... it's driving me batty! Is there no documentation discussing this somewhere?

13. pspens

pspens Member

Jan 20, 2013
    From the Premier 4 manual: "Disable MoCA (Wireless N only) The TiVo Wireless N network adapter will not work properly if MoCA is enabled". The last sentence in that paragraph is "Note that if you want to stream shows to/from other TiVo DVRs, a wired connection (Ethernet or MoCA) is required." I use the Tivo Wireless N adapter on my Premier and a wireless G adapter on my Series 2 and have been able to copy shows back and forth.
    What a I missing here?