TiVo Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by furilla, Aug 27, 2020.

1. furilla

furilla New Member

Feb 1, 2009

Advertisements

I have been a long time TiVo user. I purchased my first unit in the 90s. I am now packing it in and moving to something else. This is a great product when it works. However, their lack of stability and complete inability to offer support leaves me no choice. Nice going destroying a great product.

2. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    While I agree with you and have been a long time Tivo user myself, have to wonder what are the alternatives? I gave up cable TV years ago, so I'm strictly OTA. One thing I really do miss is the thumbs up and down functionality that Tivo got rid of, this was a feature that made Tivo unique.

3. matonanjin

matonanjin New Member

Aug 26, 2020
    I haven't been a user as long as you guys, no wheres near. But I'm already in the same situation. It does seem like Tivo was a great product and has managed to take itself from a market dominating product to mediocrity. But like you, @Resist, I'm trying to figure out "what are the alternatives"? I need to be able to play what is stored on my Tivo in my family room in my bedroom. It seems every competing product has some great unique feature but then something critically important missing. (I guess I'm ranting).

4. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    It was an amazing product, with the easiest interface. I had cable TV many years ago and their DVR boxes were such a pain to operate, so when I discovered Tivo it was such a relief and was totally hooked on their boxes. I started with a Series 2 with lifetime, before HD and then wide screen was available. I've had many boxes since then but have not been pleased with the direction Tivo is going, removing thumbs suggestions, complicating the interface, poor design which induce heat issues (Bolt), forcing ads on the box and this forum. I just do see Tivo surviving another 10 years, maybe not even 5 years. I hope someone else enters the market to take up the slack and do what Tivo couldn't.

5. furilla

furilla New Member

Feb 1, 2009

Advertisements

Although I am still not convinced about my direction, I am currently leaning towards the following:
    1. Cut the cable TV service (phone too)
    2. Obviously retain internet and increase bandwidth.
    3. Purchase an xBox in addition to the xBox I already have and the Apple TV I already have.
    4. I already have Netflix, Prime, and Hulu so purchase either Hulu Live or Youtube Live
    5. Since my viewing habits have become heavy Streaming services I don't need the DVR capability

I really liked these streaming services through TiVo but lately I can't justify keeping it around since it often requires a reboot to get the app working (usually YouTube or Hulu). Even with the reboot it doesn't always correct the issue. I really have tried to contact TiVo several times but I get no response. They don't even say sorry we are looking in to it. I get nothing.

Again, still thinking this through but that is where I am at this point.

6. lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    I still have 3 TiVos in use and one that doesn't have service so it will be a while until I replace them but I have heard about the "Fire TV Recast". I've never seen it but it seems like it may be an alternative.

7. matonanjin

matonanjin New Member

Aug 26, 2020
    I have heard about the "Recast" as well. But the way I am leaning, after very limited research, is towards the Tablo Quattro. It will not be an inexpensive initial investment. But with that DVR and a sizable hard drive it seems I'll have plenty of storage, can record/watch multiple channels, and can watch everything in all rooms. I'll have to sacrifice my Tivo but I can live with that. More research to do but that is the way I'm leaning.

8. furilla

furilla New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    I just received a support email from TiVo to help me resolve my issue. To give credit where it is due I was pleased with the level of support they provided. I will hold off on making any decisions to move off this platform. I will come back here and provide an update after a month or so.