Tivo Bolt XXX (software downgrade) error

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by akhnaten, Oct 20, 2016.

1. akhnaten

akhnaten New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Please help. I just got a refurbed Bolt directly from Tivo. My original Bolt had a video hardware problem. I took the upgraded 2TB HD out of my original Bolt and put it in the refurbed Bolt. On boot up, after a few minutes, it displays an error "XXX (software downgrade)" on a red background. It then says to call customer service. My original Tivo had been plugged in and working with the 2TB HD until just before I swapped it into the refurb Bolt. However, the original Tivo was deregistered by Tivo about a week ago, even before the refurbed Bolt shipped. How do I resolve this error
    Thanks,
    akhnaten

2. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    You will have to do a "clear and delete" to get it to work. All the recordings will be lost in the process.

3. akhnaten

akhnaten New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    I took the 2TB drive out and stuck it back in the old Bolt. Then I Cleared and Deleted the drive. I then stuck it into the refurb Bolt and had the same problem. :(

4. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Format the drive to wipe it. The new box will automatically re-format it and download the software it needs.

5. akhnaten

akhnaten New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    I was finally able to get it to work by setting up the refurb Bolt with its original 500GB HD. Once that setup was complete, I put my 2TB HD into the refurb Bolt and it came up normally.
    I suspect that wiping the drive in a PC, thus removing all traces of Tivo software, would have resolved the issue as well. But that is a LOT more work than what ended up working. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
    akhnaten

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Every Tivo is encoded so shows on the original DVR would work.

I suspect that your replacement Tivo has been running a lesser version of its software.
    You could have copied the shows over to a PC from the still subscribed Tivo, Move the 2TB over, run Clear & delete Everything, transfer shows back from the PC.

7. akhnaten

akhnaten New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    ThAbtO, that sounds very interesting for next time. Can you point me to a document that describes how to copy the files to a PC? I thought the entire drive would be encrypted, or at least the shows. I know everything from Frontier FIOS TV is encrypted, except for the basic OTA channels.

8. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Encryption by Frontier is not the issue as this encryption is removed by the TiVo using the CableCARD. All recordings are then re-encrypted by the TiVo so that they only be decrypted by that TiVo but can be transferred(actually copied) to a PC using the TiVo s/w and any number of programs on the PC unless they are copy protected. Copy protection is controlled by your cable operator. I don't know what Frontier's copy protection policy is.

You should investigate kmttg and pyTivo.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If Frontier Copy protects them then transfers would be prohibited. Only streaming the content would be allowed.

10. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Did you actually read my entire post? Particularity this part:

11. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    From what I've heard, Frontier is the TW of FIOS. On every fiber network that they bought from Verizon they promptly copy-protected everything except the local channels.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I think I quoted the wrong post.

13. olimazi

olimazi New Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Format how, in Windows FAT32?