Tivo Bolt+ - work around for OTA? (6 tuners v. 4 tuners)

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dmayland78, Mar 19, 2018.

1. dmayland78

dmayland78 New Member

Oct 18, 2004

Advertisements

Hi, I have read that there is a way to make cable cards compatible with the Roamio OTA, however, is there a workaround to have the Tivo Bolt+ work on OTA? I would like the befit of the 6 tuners, but I have optimum which just rolled out the Altice One and fear that they may do away with cable card compatibility or may want to cut the cord in the future.

On a side note, I noticed the Tivo licenses software to Altice, any word if the Alttice One is basically running a tivo interface? (looks similar with the Alitce Main Box and the ability to add "minis") Also the ability to record 12 shows at once.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    The work around is to get a different tivo. Sorry.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The Roamio OTA is the same hardware as the original CableCARD-capable *and* OTA-capable 4-tuner Roamio, except the Roamio OTA is shipped without a CableCARD bracket installed. It's just a simple physical component that's missing, and quite easy to replace if you can find the part.

The BOLT+ is entirely different hardware than the 4-tuner OTA-/CableCARD-capable BOLT and lacks the necessary ATSC tuners. What you're asking is more akin to asking if a Roamio Plus or Pro could be made to work with OTA antenna as a source; and the answer in all three cases is no.

4. dmayland78

dmayland78 New Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Thank you for the quick responses, I truly appreciate it. Any feedback on Alltice One v. Tivo. I have been loyal to Tivo since series one, but unless they offer a deal on a lifetime transfer I may finally switch over if its truly a similar product and has the ability to record 12 shows at once.

5. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

Advertisements

cable cards will be around until the FCC says otherwise

6. dmayland78

dmayland78 New Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Thank you, I thought if they converted to a IPTV cloud based system they were no longer required to provide cable cards. With the release of the Altice One it made me nervous to pull the trigger on a new Tivo if it could not be utilized OTA as well.

7. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    but if they convert to cloud not sure, but they should still support cable card

8. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    The Altice One website says you can record 15 shows at once but it implies that’s using cloud DVR technology, a subtle but important distinction between that and tuners on the DVR machine itself. Not sure if you can skip commercials on those cloud recordings, devil is in the details.

9. dmayland78

dmayland78 New Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Exactly my thoughts...trying to get the details, especially in light of Tivo patent deal with Altice announced in December....curious to know if it is a cloud DVR running a Tivo interface.. if it is Tivo but with more tuners on the cloud with a similar price point, count me in, if I am forced to sit through commercials and other downsides to streaming, I want my Tivo back...as long as they don't phase out the cable card use...thanks for the reply

btw I have been loyal to Tivo since my Series one SRV2000
    I currently have 3 lifetime Tivos, HD (transferred from my Sony with 2000 activation date), XL4 Premiere and another Premier XL

Thanks again all

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  10. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Wasnt another provider claiming 12 recordings at once only to find out it was necessary to have 2 6 tuner boxes? At least cable stations,FX AMC and the like have 2 or 3 showtimes for a show, as do Premiums. Only the networks are the "it's now or never" gang. Point is, 6 tuners (unimaginable a few years ago) should cut the mustard. IMHO.

11. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    From looking at the screen shots I’m inclined to think it’s not powered by a TiVo interface and maybe it’s just TiVo behind the scenes. It’s not easy for a consumer to find this stuff out...

12. al_wilson2

al_wilson2 Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Here's a thought, and I haven't actually tried this. But is it possible for the roamio to record more than 4 shows at once? Some other devices claim one tuner for one recording at a time, but can actually record all programs that are multiplexed on the same frequency. For example, a single tuner can record 21.1 as well as 21.2 simultaneously. With four tuners, could the roamio actually record 19.1/19.2, 21.1/21.2, 27.1/27.2, and 33.1/33.2 for a total of 8 (or more) programs at once? I may try this over the weekend.

13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you check Diagnostics, there is only one Program Number (sub-channel) per channel. I don't know of a DVR that will record the entire 6MHz for a channel, but I'm sure I couldn't afford it.