1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TIVO BOLT won't connect to WEP network

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dg_waterworld, Dec 7, 2018 at 3:43 PM.

1. dg_waterworld

dg_waterworld New Member

Mar 31, 2012
    I have actually tried two different Bolts on my Linksys WEP 128 bit (or 64 bit) network and they won't connect. I did go as far as switching the network to WPA2 on this EA6300 router and the Bolt does seem to connect and download on that setting. I really don't want to change this on a dozen different devices on my network including a TIVO premier and TIVO series 2, except as a last resort.

Any suggestions?

Dave

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    (Just as an aside, isn't WPA2 much more secure and WEP very much not-so?)

kpeters59 likes this.
  3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That is a fact, but I have never used WEP.

4. dg_waterworld

dg_waterworld New Member

Mar 31, 2012
    It's not about which is more secure. Neither is 100% secured any more than the lock on your front door. The right tool in the right hands can get in. It's about the time involved to change over 15 devices and whether they all can be changed to WPA2.

I have seen no service advice that says the BOLT won't work with WEP.

5. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    No, that doesn't appear to be documented but your own experience seems to indicate it doesn't work. And a search on this forum on "WEP" reveals a few folks have tried and not succeeded to connect to it either. Time to upgrade your wireless network.

kpeters59 likes this.
  6. dg_waterworld

dg_waterworld New Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Decided to upgrade just my wireless extender to WPA2 where my TIVO series 2 lives also, which as I suspected creates a problem with the Series 2. It won't download now.

My Bolt problem is still not totally fixed. It can connect and actually got my clock time updated (it had lost 7 minutes in 5 days :-(

Is there a solution for the Series 2? I am using an older USB plug antenna. Is there a newer one compatible with WPA2?

The Bolt will not download any program data and comes back with C218 error, even though all the Port tests now succeed. My service did work about 3 days ago as I downloaded two weeks of program data, so maybe I just need the extender closer??

7. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    My guess is yes you aren't getting a strong consistent signal on the Bolt. Have you considered using MoCA rather than wifi? Or an ethernet run?

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Or extend it with a wireless access point configured with WPA2 to alleviate the short-term hassle of converting other devices.

Though, yeah, wiring devices where possible is job 1.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  9. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    You don't say exactly which wireless usb adapter you are using, but according to Tivo, they should be capable of WPA2, https://support.tivo.com/articles/FAQ/TiVo-Compatible-Network-Adapters-FAQ
    How to analyze what your wireless environment is like, google free INSSIDER alternatives or use this, Top 8 alternatives to InSSIDer for Windows
    With one of these softwares, you will be able to "see" what is going on with the wireless signals in your area and help you figure out how to get it working and secure for all or most all of your devices.
    The difference between hacking WEP and WPA2 is the difference between 10-15 min and several days.

krkaufman and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    No issue here with a Toshiba Series 2 TiVo box using a TiVo Wireless G adapter, and a router set to WPA2.

11. Keiichi25

Keiichi25 New Member

May 9, 2008
    If you have an Android Phone/Tablet, I would check your signal strength with WiFi Analyzer.

See how strong the signal is where your TiVo is placed. If it is rather low, you may need to consider alternative network connections.

You can also try the Powerline Ethernet Adapters as an alternative to MoCA or WiFi.