Tivo BOLT with Toshiba HDKFB06 good option?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by CIR-Engineering, Sep 25, 2017.

1. CIR-Engineering

CIR-Engineering Video Calibration & Electronics Repair Engineer

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone has tried this hard drive in the BOLT yet. I have my BOLT coming, but finding a suitable internal upgrade hard drive has proven difficult. It seems all but Seagate have current drives larger than 2TB so I am hoping this new 3TB Toshiba might be a good choice.

That said, right now I am leaning towards pulling a 3TB 3.5" drive from my NAS and using it externally to the BOLT and then replacing the 3TB in the NAS with a hot spare WD 8TB RED.

Does anyone have any recommendations for 2.5" hard drives of at least 3TB that work well in the BOLT at this time?

Thanks,
    craigr

2. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    If you were to go the external route, if it were me, I would put the WD 8TB Red in the Bolt and leave the NAS as is.

I don't know if HDKFB06 is the same drive as MQ03ABB300. The latter is what most people have been using. Not saying anything about whether that is good or bad. Just mentioning it in case you wanted to look into it further.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  3. CIR-Engineering

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    I hear you, but I don't need an 8TB drive on my BOLT. I have a Premiere now with a 2TB drive in it and I have found that totally adequate. Even with indefinitely storing a lot of kids shows we have still never gone above 80% full. And I plan to keep the Premiere in the system so that will be 2TB plus whatever I put in the BOLT. I think adding three TB will be more than I already need. Besides, any shows can be offloaded to the NAS for backup if necessary.

That aside, I did not do my home work before buying the BOLT and didn't realize it can only house a 2.5" drive. That was IMHO a poor decision on TiVo's part. A 3.5" drive is much more suited to a DVR than a little 2.5".

Do you have any links for the MQ03ABB300? That drive is old now and very difficult to find ;(

Thanks,
    craigr

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I don't understand why that 3TB drive has gotten to be so hard to find--it's a great size, value and solution, and seemingly without equivalent. Push it out, Toshiba!

5. CIR-Engineering

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...

Advertisements

Seems all the reputable HD manufacturers have pulled 2.5" drives larger than 2TB. Other than the Toshiba HDKFB06, I can find nothing other than Seagates... and I won't use Seagate 2.5" drives in anything let alone the BOLT. Every one I have ever owned has failed in a year or less in my laptops, even when they were OEM.

craigr

6. CIR-Engineering

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    I also can't figure out if the HDKFB06 is using SRM or PRM...

7. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
  8. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Mostly laptops use 2.5" drives and they are all moving to SSD. It isn't a one to one replacement but laptop users don't usually need 3TB and prefer paying more per GB for a much faster more reliable drive.

CIR-Engineering likes this.
  9. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I hear you also, but it seemed like you were saying you would pull the 3TB from a NAS you had, where presumably the other drives were also 3TB, and replace it with an 8TB, running as a 3TB to match the other drive(s) I am assuming you are running RAID on the NAS since you said hot spare.

I figure instead of having 5TB of the 8TB unused, you could put it in the Bolt where the 5TB might also be unused (by choice) but it is at least there if you want to use it vs sitting in the NAS unusable, until you upgrade the other drive(s).

Of course you know what is best for your set up.

10. CIR-Engineering

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    I can't argue with that logic, makes perfect sense really.

craigr

11. CIR-Engineering

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    I'm actually running unRAID (not sure if you are familiar with that NAS OS or not). One of the nice things about unRAID is that it allows you to add discs at any time and to also use discs of various sizes to their FULL capacity. Right now the unRAID server has two 8TB drives, two 5TB drives, five 4TB drives, and four 3TB drives. If I pull a 3TB drive and replace it with an 8TB drive (I have two RED's on hand) than when unRAID rebuilds the 3TB drive it will restore all data and increase the capacity to the server by 5TB. It's really an awesome OS for a media server.

Best,
    craigr

12. CIR-Engineering

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
  13. zombiephysicist

zombiephysicist Member

Sep 22, 2017
    I just upgraded my 3TB bolt to the 5TB Seagate (fingers crossed), but when I pulled my 3TB drive, it was a WD Blue drive. See here:

14. CIR-Engineering

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    I just sent you a PM... I think.

Craig
    I just sent you a PM... I think.

Craig

15. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    If you have the drives lying around already I am SURE it will be more cost effective :)

16. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
  17. CIR-Engineering

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    I normally would never buy a hard drive "used," but I grabbed a WD40NPZZ from this seller on eBay central_valley_computer_parts_inc. They've got loads of 3TB and 4TB 2.5" WD drives with very low hours. They also have a 30 day guarantee. I plan to put the drive in my unRAID server and run three "preclear" tests on it. preclear randomly reads and writes to every sector on the drive and then reads is all back again. It stress tests the drive and also makes sure there are no bad sectors. I'll also be able to use smartmontools to check the hours and status of the drive. If I don't like it I'll send it back and exchange it for another drive.

craigr

18. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    They have 0hr ones, but without packaging, for $2-$9 more.

19. CIR-Engineering

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    They were having a sale on 70 hour drives for $162 so I grabbed that. On a used drive I'd rather have a few hours on it to make sure it's not a dud. If I hadn't gone with the cheaper 70 hour drive I would probably take one of their 300 or 500 hour drives over the 0 hour drive. At least there will be some SMART data on drives with time on them ;-)

craigr

20. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Not disagreeing with your thinking, but you could say that for any drive actually. You are going to burn-in test the drive either way (or I would do that) and that will result in probably 10-20hrs. They were selling the 0hr drive as a new drive without packaging, not a used drive. One can debate whether they felt a 0hr drive is considered new or not.