Tivo Bolt with Esata cable added

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by mark1958, Apr 22, 2016.

1. mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...

Advertisements

My sister has been on me ever since she saw bpunc's post with his external hard drive enclosure. ( e r e b o s . n e t » Blog Archive » TiVo Bolt Hard Disk Upgrade and Take Apart )
    Well I finally got around to doing it and she was very pleased to say the least, I did order the cable that bpunc suggested and took it one step further and went and mounted the esata end of the cable into the rear of the Tivo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took me about three hours of fiddling around with the dremal tool and a xacto knife and it was done, I also ordered up the DVRdaddy enclosure and the WD 3TB Green AV-rated (EURX) on the advice of ggieseke and some others.
    The end result is a Bolt with 478 hr's of HD recording space, needless to say my sister is now a happy camper :)

Just thought I would share my experience, and to anyone thinking of trying this mod take some advice, just take your time.

Parts:
    http://www.amazon.com/DVRdaddy-Exte...coliid=II21WEK7DF23G&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

Amazon.com: Western Digital 3 TB WD AV-GP SATA III Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM AV Hard Drive WD30EURX: Computers & Accessories

Addonics Product: eSATA Port for Panel Mount to Left Angle SATA Cable

Update: the quality of the DVRdaddy external enclosure is poor mine arrived DOA as well as many others, so I returned it and went with a Rosewill Armer RX304-APU3-35B that has worked flawlessly since instillation. So do yourself a favor and stay away from the headache of the DVRdaddy.

Link to the Rosewill Armer RX304-APU3-35B : Rosewill Armer RX304-APU3-35B - External 3.5" SATA III 6 Gb/s Hard Drive Enclosure - USB 3.0 & eSATA Connection, Aluminum Body, 80 mm Variable Speed Fan with On / Off Switch, LED Display Panel-Newegg.com

I thought I would update my post to show how to remove the cable card mechanism
    as the question has come up.

First thing that must be done is to remove the two screws marked yellow, next is to loosen the two screws marked red as they don't come completely out of the mechanism.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This shows the yellow screws removed and the red screws loosened.

[​IMG]

Next you want to use the two red screws to assist you in removing the mechanism by pulling straight up on them away from the main board. ( be gentle with a slight rocking motion from left to right but make sure the screws are completely lose before trying to pull them away from the main board )

This picture shows the cable card mechanism coming away from the mainboard mating surface.

[​IMG]

After removal it should look like this.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps. ;)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    krkaufman likes this.
  2. bpunc

bpunc New Member

Feb 23, 2005
    That looks awesome....very clean...good job!!!!

3. Jerky

Jerky New Member

Apr 8, 2016
    I am very tempted to do something like this, but modifying the case almost certainly voids the warranty. I was going to poke a hole through the back of the unit. But still thinking of the best way.

4. mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    Thank you bpunc for your post, and I should say my sister thanks you as well !

5. mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...

Advertisements

It most certainly will void your warranty, the way my sister looked at it was see only has $ 200 in it and 1 year of service is $ 150 so she's really only out $ 50 dollars as long as it lasts a year, now if she had it with the All-in that would be a different story. but she does like the added space.:)

Edit:
    when I had hers apart I looked hard for another way to route a cable with no luck without a hole or something witch would void the warranty. (less just leaving the cover off)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  6. Jerky

Jerky New Member

Apr 8, 2016
    I was thinking about leaving the cover off but based on the design, leaving the cover off would do more thermal damage then good. I got a 3TB drive just sitting ready to be implemented. Just waiting to muster up the courage to do it.

7. mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    It's not very hard at all I did completely remove the main board so the case was completely empty, and the steel plate is adhered to the back part of the plastic case with some double sided sticky tape, I took a box cutter and gingerly separated the too so I could use my dermal tool on the steel by it's self.

krkaufman likes this.
  8. Jerky

Jerky New Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Ehh I already purchased the rounded SATA cable, so I think I will just make the hole somewhere on the back and just be done with it. Very nice job by the way.

9. mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    When I was testing the unit I checked the ODT, and it was around 40C so I'm not sure there would be a thermal issue with the cover off, but I can think of many others.

10. mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    I thought about going that route if your cable is anything like the one i seen on Amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009GUL2B6...olid=1RSUWGZVW1MPC&coliid=IM5GIOG5HDUMH&psc=1 ) you might want to pickup a Rt angle connector so you can route your cable without binding it, the sata end of that cable might be a tad high to clear the top of the case without stressing the main board sata connection just a thought. ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00480N5P0...TF8&colid=1RSUWGZVW1MPC&coliid=I16XAT5BQQVRU7 )

Edit: By the way thanks for the kudos!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Why is there plastic on the shell of the Bolt?

It doesn't quite look as good as the one on erebos.net.........................:D
    Just kidding. The OPs looks miles better that what is shown at erebos

12. mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    Why is there plastic on the shell and better yet why does it not lay flat, my guess is the world may never know! lol

But Thanks aaronwt

13. mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    Please do Not purchases one of the DVRdaddy 3.5 Inch SATA to USB and eSATA External Enclosures they are JUNK!!! , mine arrived and was doa, it is poorly made, the rail inside does not allow the drive to dock with the unit.
    I have a 5 year old Rosewill (Rosewill RX-358 U3C BLK) the fan died about a year ago but still works. Believe the reviews on Amazon in regards to the DVRdaddy many doa units, just giving everyone a heads up. :mad:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  14. primaryforce

primaryforce Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Detroit, Mi
    mark1958, your advice is too late for me! My DVRDaddy from Amazon is being delivered today. I guess if I have any problems with this enclosure I will return it and order a Rosewill RX-358 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KGNXTE. My WD 6TB Red and the eSATA cable you suggested will be here by the end of the week so hopefully by this weekend I will be able to attempt your mod. Going to Home Depot to get some Dremel bits to cut the opening. Hopefully I have the screws laying around to mount the eSATA header.

15. mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    The screws and nuts came with my cable, and just for the record the DVRDaddy
    was suggested by some one else in bpunc's thread, ended up ordering a Rosewill Armer RX304-APU3-35B that looked perty good and had decent reviews it should be here Friday and I'll report back on the quality and performance.
    link: ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182316 )

16. tranman329

tranman329 New Member

Apr 16, 2016
    once installed, is the procedure to install 3.5 hd the same as 2.5hd. is the 3.5hd being powered externally as well? any recommendation on hd?

17. mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    Yes the external enclosure has its own power supply, and yes it's the same procedure for a 3 1/2 inch drive or 2 1/2 some enclosures will do both size drive you just have to check.

Edit: From my experience with HD's it's hard to beat a 3 1/2 inch drive for longevity, I have had to many 2 1/2 inch drives die to soon as compared to the 3 1/2 inch drives, and As far as enclosures go whatever you get make sure it has some sort of cooling. 😃

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  18. primaryforce

primaryforce Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Detroit, Mi
    mark1958 - I now have all the pieces and parts for making this mod to my Bolt. I appreciate it taking you 3 hours to make the case modifications. Looking at the pictures it appears you made a "notch" in the metal chassis and cut a rectangular opening in the back plastic panel. I am thinking that a dremel 426 cutting wheel would work in making the notch in the metal and an X-acto knife in the plastic after drilling holes for the eSATA header screws. Any additional suggestions other than patience in making these mods?

19. mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    You are exactly right I notched the steel piece and then drilled a couple of holes in the plastic portion and used a x-acto knife to cut the rectangle.
    Were you able to remove the board?

Because I forgot to add you must remove the cable card receptacle, there are four screws holding it in and it takes a little finesse to remove it from the under side of the case.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  20. primaryforce

primaryforce Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Detroit, Mi
    I have only done the internal 2.5 hard drive mod with a 2.5 4TB internal drive which resulted in frequent reboots. My Bolt is now back to the original 500 GB so I have not started on your eSATA mod. Thanks for the tip on removing the cable card holder. Any other suggestions to remove the main board or other parts? I obviously don't want anything to get damaged when I am grinding or cutting away at the metal and plastic case.