Tivo bolt with Bose solo 5 soundbar

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TRELYNDA KERR, Jan 16, 2020 at 11:52 AM.

1. TRELYNDA KERR

TRELYNDA KERR New Member

Thursday
    Hi,
    I read through posts and have a question. I have a tivo bolt with a Bose solo 5 soundbar connected from soundbar to bolt via digital optical connection. Originally I had soundbar connected to tv and programmed tivo remote to control the volume of soundbar. This worked but I kept getting periodic sync issues with the audio/video.

after researching here, I changed the connection of the soundbar to directly connect to the tivo and this immediately synced the video/audio. All was good until I turned off the tivo remote by hitting power. The tv shut off but the soundbar remained on.

upon further digging on this site I found info to setup the tivo power/mute/volume based on tv brand which is a TCL. Then look at the AV settings for Bose, but rather than changing the settings in the AV section I should select the tivo button and power button and this time use the Bose code. I tried this and it worked. I was able to use tivo remote to control tv and Bose with power mute and volume. I thought I was done. But a few minutes after powering it off, the soundbar came back on by itself. I then used the actual Bose remote to turn it off. But a few minutes later the soundbar came on again with audio. That is where I am now. I have unplugged the Bose power cord for now so that it doesn’t keep coming back on.

any suggestions? Thank you!

2. pshivers

pshivers Retired

Nov 4, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    I'm guessing your Soundbar has an auto on feature that turns on whenever it detects sound from the source its plugged into, your Tivo.

Since the Tivo never shuts off it will keep turning your Soundbar on.

Two possible solutions...

Turn the auto on feature off on the Soundbar if possible.

Or

Put the Tivo into Standby Mode when your done for the day. This will effectively turn the Tivo off so there will be no sound signal to activate you Soundbar.

Paul Shivers

3. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Essex...
    Or if both your TV and soundbar are ARC capable, pump all sources to the TV and then one HDMI out to the soundbar. Works great for my Samsung TV and Yamaha soundbar.

What is Audio Return Channel (ARC)?

4. trelynda

trelynda New Member

Jan 18, 2007
    ok so i figured it out and now it will stay off when I press power. Now the issue is this. I have a roku tv. There are some apps on roku that tivo does not offer. I just moved over to roku using the roku remote to play a show on starz. The video played starz but the audio is still on the video from tivo. Any suggestions? Is this because I have the optical cord directly in tivo and not the tv?

5. trelynda

trelynda New Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Can you explain what pump all sources to the tv means? I currently have hdmi from tivo to bolt. Do I take another hdmi from soundbar to tv arc? As preciously mentioned I now have audio synced and power on off working with tivo remote but if I go to roku tv portion to use apps, the audion is staying on tivo not the roku apps.

6. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    I have the optical out from my TV to the sound bar.

My TiVo Bolt is on one HDMI port, and Apple TV on another.

I do have issues with lip sync but can usually fix it by changing the channel, then changing it back.

Remember, the only sound in choices for the sound bar are optical or coaxial. HDMI to the sound bar is not an option.

I have no lip sync issues using the Apple TV or playing back TiVo recordings.

7. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Essex...
    Sorry if I used jargon. All i mean is any/all sources would get connected to the TV inputs directly. And then the TVs ARC hdmi out would get connected to the input of the soundbar.

This all assumes the TV and soundbar support it and the function is turned on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    That works as I described, but you have to use optical out from the TV to the optical in on the Solo 5.

9. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Essex...
    Ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk