1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Bolt - Watching show that is being recorded - choppy and audio loss

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by packer50, Jul 12, 2018.

1. packer50

packer50 New Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Hi All,

I've had a Tivo Bolt and a few Mini's (hard wired ethernet connecting them) for awhile now. Haven't had any issues, but the last few weeks when starting a show that's been recording for a half-hour or so the picture has been pixelating and getting choppy, and audio is lost for a few seconds at a time, probably 3-4 times per minute, which makes the shows almost unwatchable.

Biggest reason for my post is the bachelorette show on Mondays. My wife has friends over to watch it and she's always trashing the Tivo and all of her friends are saying to get rid of it too... always mentioning that their house has no issues with Charter's equipment, etc... she's about to call Spectrum and get our old digital boxes back which just the thought of that makes me cringe.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I've been browsing around and people are talking about laptop coolers and fans and stuff, is that really going to help? Or really necessary? We've spend $2000 on all of this equipment, shouldn't it just work? Beyond frustrated... but willing to try to figure it out.

Thanks!

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    How do the Mini units connect to your Bolt? I assume the Bolt doesn't have issues?

3. packer50

packer50 New Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Everything is hard wired ethernet - CAT6. Sorry for not being clear, the issue is on the Bolt, which has the cable card and tuning adapter. I haven't tried watching on the Minis.

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's very abnormal. I'm not sure how to narrow it down since it could be a cable issue or a heat issue. Check Diagnostics. Do you have RS Uncorrected errors? Check System Information. What is your ODT? Is this an issue with ABC or all channels?

One more thing. Are the errors part of the recording or just the viewing?

5. packer50

packer50 New Member

Jul 12, 2018
    I'll check the diagnostics tonight when I'm at home. It seems to be just ABC, but honestly we don't usually start watching a show that's still recording at the same time. The girls make dinner, eat, and then fire up the show when it's about an hour into it so they can skip the commercials. Usually when I'm watching TV it's either live or 100% recorded. Another thing to note is that it just started happening about 3 or 4 weeks ago. They've been doing the bachelor/bachelorette nights since the system was installed last fall and hadn't had any issues until recently.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I hate to ask, but is it Hydra? That's software that starts with 21. instead of 20.

7. packer50

packer50 New Member

Jul 12, 2018
    I'm not sure, where does it say that?

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    In System Information. But easier question. When you hit the TiVo button, does it show "TiVo Central" or "Home" and a horizontal menu?

9. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And in sharp contrast (no pun intended), no problem of this type--including with "The Bachelorette," egads--with basic OTA reception on my Bolt. A cable issue?

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    ABC is my least watched network. But I do tape Jimmy Kimmel Live when it's new. I frequently have audio dropouts when there is a lot of audience noise. They have some kind of weird AVC. It also comes through at 6Mbps. Yuck.

11. packer50

packer50 New Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Software Version is 21.8.2
    ODT: 68
    When on ABC: Signal Strength 85%, Channel bits 3299354, SNR 34dB, Rs uncorrected 3252.

It was actually choppy when I was looking at that stuff, does ABC just have a problem?

12. packer50

packer50 New Member

Jul 12, 2018
    I also don't think it's a cabling issue, the house has all RG6 cable. We have the Spectrum ultra internet that works perfectly at 300-400 mbit down and 20-30 up.

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That might be warm, depending on your room temperature. I would use some water bottle caps to elevate the unit. A Bolt doesn't count RS Corrected errors. Also, I would expect the signal to be 90%. I can't be definitive, but I'm leaning on the cable feed. If your cable company is nice, could you ask them to replace the connector on your drop? BTW, is there errors on your cable modem (model)? They tend to count them better. Those error counters are updated every second. Try moving the coax to see if they move. Are the Mini units watching TV? If so, try stopping them in case it's a load problem. It would also explain the high ODT.

I'll have to see how my Hydra does on chase play.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  14. packer50

packer50 New Member

Jul 12, 2018
    I'll give them a call, my experience with them has been sub-optimal with the cablecard situation. No one there knows what it is or how it works, it took me a few days worth of calling to get someone to actually activate it correctly.

Internet has been really solid, some of the best speeds I've ever experienced in the residential world.

15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Just say you are having noise problems and you would like the tap connector replaced. I have mine replaced every year. That's how long they last. My last change was in May. Before it was changed I had thousands of errors every day. After: zero errors on TiVo and modem. I reboot every device on the last day of the month. It's a thing.

What model is your cable modem?

16. packer50

packer50 New Member

Jul 12, 2018
    I gave them a call, told them the problems and they sent me some reset commands or some BS. Told them it didn't work. They also checked the cable modem and said that there was a lot of errors and signal problems so they're sending someone out Sunday morning to replace the modem and redo the wire from the main box outside. I also ordered some little standoffs to raise the Tivo unit an inch or so for better cooling, they get here Sunday too. With all that hopefully I have a happy wife on Monday!

17. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Ok. There's possibly a RG-11 cable coming into that outside box. If you can see where it comes from, that's your drop. Usually that's the failure point.

In your browser, try 192.168.100.1 and wait a few seconds. That might get you into the modem's status display.

Since you will not be turning off your TiVo, check the RS Uncorrected errors. Maybe you will exceed 10 billion.

18. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Have you tried to unscrew/screw the coax cable into the TiVo and the wall outlet just too make sure they are tight? I’ve had similar pixelation before over the years and sometimes adjusting the coax cable fixed it.