Tivo Bolt VOX Question(s)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by GaryJFalzone, Jan 21, 2018.

1. GaryJFalzone

GaryJFalzone New Member

Jan 20, 2018
    Hi all,

Just bought my TiVo bolt yesterday, and, after a few hiccups during the setup, ti is up and running. There are some questions I have (that I may just be overlooking), but I figured maybe someone in this Forum can help me out. As always, any bit of information someone can give me would be greatly appreciated :)

1. - When creating a season pass, I don't see any option for (Only Record At This Time Slot). The only option(s) I see are "All Episodes" or "New Episodes". The reason that this is a concern to me is I like to record the 6:00am news. So, if I choose "New Episode", I come home to 12 copies of the news. The news airs multiple times throughout the day and they will ALL be flagged as news.

2. - I have a Comcast cable card and have a decent lineup of channels that I pay for. The TV guide built into TiVo doesent seem to be able to detect the channels I pay for. Therefore, the guide shows me ALL channels. So, many times when scheduling a program (I am still not used to recognizing what channels I get and what channels I do not get), I wind up with a 1 hour block of "This programming is not available in your package. Please contact Xfinity to upgrade"

3 - This one is just an annoyance. When putting this device to sleep, is there an easier way that navigating through the main menu, scrolling through the options, finding the sleep mode option and choosing it? Most remotes just have a button to click and you're done.

Noe of these above issues are deal breakers for me, but, I would really like to know if there is a solution to these.

Once again, thank you so much for the help :)

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'll try one. Guide display is under your control. With the guide displayed, hit the "A" key. Now you can select "All", "My channels" or "Favorites". Now hit TiVo, then Menu, move to Settings and select Channel Settings. Then select Channel list. That displays every channel your feed supplies, even those you don't pay for. Unselect those you will never watch. "Back" out.

With the guide displayed, you can decide to just show Favorites. Move left to highlight the channel, then hit Select. You can add that channel to your Favorites. You can change the guide to just display Favorites. I have 440 channels on my feed. I pay for 220. I have 50 as My Channels and 20 as Favorites.

If you are not receiving what you pay for, someone with Xfinity may need to help.

My TiVo is never put to sleep. (I did have one go to a farm upstate :))

3. GaryJFalzone

GaryJFalzone New Member

Jan 20, 2018
    Thank you for your reply. :)

I must have worded it wrong. I only want to see channels in the guide (that I pay for). not the ones that I dont pay for.

The only reason I put my TiVo to sleep, is, if I want to record 4 shows at the same time, I only choose 3 and then the TiVo reports that the 4th tuner is in use. I am guessing it is because it is still displaying on the TiVo box itself. (I do a lot of recording) :)

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Then go through the channel list and uncheck what you don't want to use. Be sure the guide is set to display "My Channels", which I think is the default.

I need to think about how Hydra handles your four-tuner issue.

5. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    This can be solved by a manual recording. Your news program must not have a unique name, like my news does. Since it has no Season/Episode numbers and/or no Original Air Date, it's not considered a series. Another option is to set the 1P to "Keep at most" to one. My default is always "All Shows" since I never want to see a yellow dot.

A new TiVo will also exhibit some strange behavior with "new". If a program has not been recorded, and it repeats within 28 days, TiVo will consider it new. Just a head's up. The guide is far from perfect.

6. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Littleton,...
    With Comcast I found it easer to lock out all channels below 1000. Comcast duplicates SD and HD channels below 1000. Then I go through and check the ones I subscribe to above 1000 and make them favorites. I use that for my guide. Makes navigation a lot easier.

The sleep thing is annoying but I am used to it by now.

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    My test indicates that if you need all four tuners for a recording, you may get a message one minute before recording starts that you need to change channels or abort the recording. If you do nothing (like in Standby), the channel will change. The warning goes away after 30 seconds. I said "may" since if the tuner you are viewing is on a channel to be recorded, no message is needed. So, no Standby.