TIVO Bolt Vox only showing 480i; gives HDMI not permitted error

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by jg0001, Nov 30, 2019.

1. jg0001

jg0001 New Member

Mar 2, 2016
    TIVO Bolt Vox only showing 480i; gives HDMI not permitted error

I go to Audio & Video settings, but shows everything as "not supported", even 1080 and 720... (this is on a 4K tv). It HAS been working in the same setup for years. I did try different cables, I even tried plugging it (1) in direct to the tv (skipping the receiver) and (2) into another TWO tv's altogether, using a variety of 4K capable cables, no less. I did soft reboots, HDMI hot swaps, and also did power plug pulls on both the TIVO and the TV being tested.

[Also, same cables and same input jack on TV happily works with both AppleTV 4K and Xbox One X, both in 4K 60 HDR mode... so I "REALLY" do not think it is either the cable, nor the TV.]

This is rather infuriating. Interestingly enough, I CAN still watch my shows that are on that Bolt using a TiVo mini and a TiVo Roamio (linked to the bolt) … I just can't watch any live TV from the Bolt directly nor use the Bolt pretty much at all.

How do I truly force it to retry all the other video settings?
    [Does GUIDED SETUP potentially mess with the cable card settings? I am not willing to risk that nightmare again.]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  2. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    This has nothing to do with your cable card or your guided setup. The HDMI vile copy protection system is not getting a proper handshake back from the connected display device, so TiVo "knows" you are a thief and will NEVER display any HD output until it gets that handshake.

If your cables are good, then the problem is a hardware fault in the Bolt HDMI jack or circuit. You can try using component breakout cables (if your Bolt still supports them).

3. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Maybe an HDMI to component converter? I know these can be boxes or just a cable . Going from HDMI to component no copyright issues should come up. Hopefully your TV has component inputs.

4. jg0001

jg0001 New Member

Mar 2, 2016
    Why the @#?! would I want to use component cables in 2019 to output from my expensive Tivo Bolt Vox?

zubinh likes this.
  5. My Cape is a Recliner

My Cape is a Recliner Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Just throwing some stuff out there from what little I have learned:

Settings & messages : Help : accounts and system info : sytem information then down to
    HDMI status.. It should show HDCP 2.2. If not that's a problem. That would be the handshake that V7goose is referring to.

I had a similar problem, and I went through my owners manual and found what resolutions were supported. I changed from auto to those resolutions only on the TV itself.

I have never used apple tv, but any apps you have such as xbox one, would be streaming over your internet connection. The TiVo's feed is coming through your coax only. Maybe something has changed with your coax?

Guided setup won't change your cable card settings. It might even be best to go through the guided setup just to see. When I recently added a tuning adapter, I needed to run guided setup twice. The first time was so the Tivo could recognize it, then the second time starting over while working with it.

6. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Never mind. Enjoy your 480i picture. Better yet, get a vcr and enjoy that.

7. My Cape is a Recliner

My Cape is a Recliner Member

Oct 5, 2019
    4k tv, 4k TiVo, and 1080 cables? Did you get made because they want to try to fix the problem, and not use some half-ass, work around?