Tivo bolt versus Tivo vox

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jmcc104, Dec 10, 2017.

1. jmcc104

jmcc104 New Member

Dec 10, 2017

Advertisements

So I am looking at putting 2 tivo mini voxes for extra rooms (want 4k) and one main bolt system.

It seems the tivo bolt is the same as vox except these 2 things:

1) vox comes with vox remote

2) Vox does not have moca built in so I would have to buy an adapter if I wanted to use the cable lines for the mini voxes. Bolt is comes built in.

3) So then is it ture that: If I want to buy the bolt and a vox remote and then upgrade the os I will have an identical system as tivo vox except I will have a built in moca adapter.

4) If I buy a regular bolt will i be able to use voice for the mini voxes if I don't upgrade my bolt to hydra?
    5) does the underlying bolt operating system effect the mini voxes in any other way?

BTW I don't care about the color of the boxes.

2. m.s

m.s Active Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Bolt and Bolt Vox are the same, except for the remote. Both can be a MoCA bridge.

To use voice, you must be running Hydra. The Mini and TiVo host must match, so voice on a Mini requires Hydra on both the mini and on the host TiVo.

jmcc104 likes this.
  3. jmcc104

jmcc104 New Member

Dec 10, 2017
    I was told the bolt has a moca adapter built in but the vox does not and I would need to buy an adapter.

Perhaps I am not understanding the issue. Or was the guy wrong?

Does the non vox remote work ok with hydra?

Also can I run the mini voxes without hydra?

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    What's a vox?
    1. A Bolt 500gb/1TB and a Bolt VOX 500GB or 1TB version are the same hardware and are 4 tuner Cable OR OTA DVRs (Bolt+ and Bolt VOX 3TB version are also the same but are 6 tuner cable only DVRs) only difference is what remote they came/come with. All can run the old HDUI or the new Hydra UI that supports voice. All have exactly the same support for MoCA.
    2. A Mini VOX is new updated hardware and not the same as the old Mini. It can run either the old HDUI or the new Hydra UI and must be running the same UI as the host DVR
    3. The VOX Remote is new and is needed along with the Hydra UI to have voice support.

Yes and Yes however no voice support without both a VOX remote AND the Hydra UI and a Mini VOX must be running the same UI as the host DVR.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    jmcc104 likes this.
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

I'm assuming the person with whom you were speaking was confusing the Mini VOX with a BOLT VOX:
    • BOLT VOX is identical hardware to the non-VOX BOLT (remotes aside) -- with the caveat that the 3TB BOLT VOX is the same as the 6-tuner, CableCARD-only BOLT+. And they all have MoCA bridging functionality.
    • The Mini VOX, like the earlier Minis, can only connect as a client to a MoCA network.

6. m.s

m.s Active Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Bolt Vox can be a MoCA bridge, it's exactly the same hardware as the earlier Bolt, it just comes with a voice remote. Mini Vox can be a MoCA client but not a bridge, just like the earlier Minis. Not sure what "the guy" was talking about, but it sounds like he's wrong.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That said, whether or not you need to buy a separate, standalone MoCA adapter would depend on whether your BOLT DVR can be connected via Ethernet to your router, enabling use of the BOLT's built-in MoCA bridge to establish your MoCA network*. If the BOLT won't be located where an Ethernet connection is available, then you'd need a MoCA adapter installed with connections to both the coax plant and your Ethernet LAN (typically at the modem/router location) in order to establish the MoCA network, to which the BOLT and Minis would connect as MoCA clients.

---
    * ... or simply if you'd prefer to use a separate MoCA adapter as your bridge, even if the BOLT connectivity could allow it to be the bridge.

edit: p.s. Whether you'd need a MoCA adapter, or even the BOLT, to establish your MoCA network is also dependent on whether your gateway device can provide the functionality. I'd recommend posting your Internet provider, plus your modem/router brand and model info for a quick review for MoCA support.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  8. TivoRocks193

TivoRocks193 Member

Aug 10, 2005
    I think the vox has better cooling. I’ve owned both and the original bolt ran at 70+, while the Vox is around 58. I’m sure what they changed, but the original bolt seems hotter to me. Both 3tb black models.