Tivo Bolt using Comcast over Fiber

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Davide McGarr, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Jun 3, 2020 #1 of 11
    Davide McGarr

Davide McGarr New Member

Jun 3, 2020

Advertisements

I have been having an ongoing issue with Comcast and Tivo since I started the process to switch out my currently dying Roamio for a Tivo Bolt. I cannot get the new Bolt to work. Tivo has replaced the box 4 times, and comcast has sent me about 8 cable cards now. There's 2 cards I haven't tried yet with the Bolt, I am just waiting on the technician to call me back. I live in a newer neighborhood and we have fiber from comcast going to the house. My question is - does a Tivo Bolt work with a Fiber connection. My Tivo Roamio works, but as I said, it's dying a slow death. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Jun 3, 2020 #2 of 11
    keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    If the Comcast tech cannot pair the cable card within 15 minutes, ask for a differeent person or call back.

aaronwt likes this.
  3. Jun 3, 2020 #3 of 11
    Davide McGarr

Davide McGarr New Member

Jun 3, 2020
    I've literally spent many hours trying to get this to work with both Tivo and Comcast. I feel like the Comcast cable card technicians are pretty good and mostly know their stuff, but this shouldn't be that hard. It pairs with the Roamio and my Roamio is sorta working at the moment. It's pretty aggrivating that I've wasted so much time on this. Only thing I can think now is some sort of compatibility issue with Comcast Fiber and Tivo.

4. Jun 3, 2020 #4 of 11
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    When I had Comcast, the only time I had an issue with pairing a cable card, was when they did not input the info properly. And in my area, at the time, there was only one person that could input that info.

But then even today with FiOS and Comcast, if the info is not entered properly, the cable card cannot be paired. And it's been a 50/50 proposition with FiOS. They only get it right half the time.

Of course they always like to blame it on the card. But out of the many dozens of cable cards I've had paired, since 2006 with comcast and FiOS, only one cable card was actually bad. The rest of the issues were just human error. Or, on rare occasion, a system issue.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  5. Jun 3, 2020 #5 of 11
    KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seattle

Advertisements

So the self pairing will not work?

Welcome Page

If your card is already listed you just change the host ID and data ID to what the new Tivo shows.

6. Jun 3, 2020 #6 of 11
    Davide McGarr

Davide McGarr New Member

Jun 3, 2020
    There's like 8 cable cards on my account right now, and I think that's one issue with self pairing. I have made that work back when I only had 1 or 2 cards on my account, but now it just errors out when I try to pair anything via the self pair.

7. Jun 3, 2020 #7 of 11
    JandS

JandS Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 1, 2010
    East of Seattle
    Strongly suggest going to the DSLReports "Direct Support" forum specifically for Comcast. I've had excellent results when we had a pairing problem on cablecards for our Bolt.

Comcast Direct forum | DSLReports, ISP Information

Notice that it's "Direct Support" specifically, this is so that you can post PRIVATE messages directly to high-level Comcast techs. They are dedicated, highly trained folks who can usually resolve even difficult problems; they can access far more settings on your account and adjust things that may not be visible to or adjustable by the regular local Comcast tech support. They can easily manage cable card pairing issues. And they are FAR more knowledgeable than the usual truck-roll folks about cable cards.

Note that the Direct forum postings are Private, only the topic you post is visible to other users, nothing more. And also note that the "Direct" forum is the only section that is private, the regular forums are open postings, so be sure that you are posting in the correct section.

DSLReports is a reputable website. I've used the Direct support several times over the years with various provider issues and have always had exceptional results.

chiguy50 likes this.
  8. Jun 3, 2020 #8 of 11
    KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seattle
    Pick one of the cards already listed that a device is no longer using then you just change the Host and data ID. No need to add another if you are just changing out a device.

Like if you are no longer using the Roamio you select that cards serial number in self pairing then just change the Host/Data ID to that of the bolt.

9. Jun 3, 2020 #9 of 11
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    What are your DOCSIS Signal Levels like?

I've seen a couple Comcast Fiber systems where the signal coming off the fiber adapter was WAY too high. That might could be causing a problem.

-KP

10. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Yes. Assuming the fiber drop uses RFoG at the endpoint. In which case your fiber feed is converted to Coax for the user. That's what I have.

I understand there is also EPON, which doesn't support TiVo, but it is rare for Comcast.

See these posts...
    Comcast Cable Cards No Long Compatible with VOD on Fiber Networks

11. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Active Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    Comcast has stopped installing EPON.

astrohip likes this.