1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Bolt updated last night, inoperative today.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Endymion_, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Nov 15, 2018 #1 of 180
    Endymion_

Endymion_ Member

Sep 9, 2011
    I upgraded my TiVo Bolt with a 4TB WD drive that came recommended here. (Maybe five or six months ago.) I upgraded to Hydra at the same time.

Last night while watching, I noticed that an update had downloaded at some point that day (network settings said awaiting restart). I powered things off as usual (Bolt into standby mode) when I was done watching. Fast forward to tonight, starting up I had no signal from the TiVo. After yanking the power and reconnecting, the green light comes on, then a signal with the newer TiVo logo comes up. After a brief blank screen the amber lights flash for a few seconds, then I'm treated to a grey arrow on screen with the TiVo television and the words "STARTING UP." And that's it, that's all she does.

I can't get the Bolt to respect the kickstart 54 code. The green/amber lights alternate, but after this it only ever returns to the STARTING UP screen. Any ideas guys?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    SalemCat likes this.
  2. Nov 16, 2018 #2 of 180
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I would unplug it from the network and TV and see what happens upon reboot. if a no-go, I'd put the original drive back in and see what happens.

SalemCat likes this.
  3. Nov 16, 2018 #3 of 180
    toricred

toricred Member

Mar 8, 2004
    The latest update took my bolt a long time to install and there were several minutes that I thought it was stuck on the "Starting Up" screen. After about twenty minutes it finished everything and was ready to be used again.

SalemCat likes this.
  4. Nov 17, 2018 #4 of 180
    jesrush

jesrush Member

Nov 6, 2015
    My Bolt is also stuck on "Starting Up" and I found the issue Thursday morning. I did not actively install an updates, but perhaps one was installed automatically overnight. I assumed it was a failed drive and replaced it with a brand new one last night and same outcome.

SalemCat likes this.
  5. Nov 17, 2018 #5 of 180
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  6. Nov 17, 2018 #6 of 180
    Endymion_

Endymion_ Member

Sep 9, 2011
    I didn't actively install an update either, I just happened to look at the network settings and saw it had an update awaiting restart. I have already tried removing all connections including the cable card which did not solve anything. I was about to open up the Bolt and replace the original drive when I saw these replies. It's pretty disheartening to hear that replacing the hard drive did not solve anything. Jesrush, were you using an aftermarket drive in your Bolt when this happened? Our issue occurred on the same day, I'm thinking it has to be update related.

SalemCat likes this.
  7. Nov 17, 2018 #7 of 180
    ikelm

ikelm New Member

Aug 26, 2018
    I am also experiencing an troubleshooting this problem. Returned from a trip Thursday night (15/18) to find my tivo bolt vox 4 tuner stuck on the starting up screen.
    I received my tivo in July and upgraded to the WD20SPZX 2TB without issue. Upgraded to hydra for evaluation. Through testing it was determined it was more reliable (when transferring in bulk from non-hydra to hydra, many of the videos would be corrupted and freeze during play back) to transfer videos from another unit using the non-hydra interface. So, preceded to rollback the interface transfer 1TB of videos then upgrade back to hydra (just adding details for completness).

I originally suspected HD problem/failure. However, WD digital lifeguard diagnostics SMART and overnight Extended test all pass. Not sure what else to check here.

I have also tried the kickstart codes 57 and 58 with no luck. I see the light sequence per weaknees instruction but no GSOD. Then the unit just gets back and hangs on starting up screen.

Finally, I plugged in the original 500GB HD (never used) and it booted fine into non-hydra interface to begin user setup.

At this poin, i plan to see if there is anything Ultimate boot CD can help with but am otherwise planning to order another HD (if I go down this route, will probably not use Hydra).

SalemCat likes this.
  8. Nov 17, 2018 #8 of 180
    jesrush

jesrush Member

Nov 6, 2015
    @Endymion_ -- Yes I've had an aftermarket crucial m500 1tb SSD in my bolt since day 1. When I dropped a replacement drive in yesterday, it was a brand new Samsung 960 EVO 1tb SSD. That also results in the start up hang...

SalemCat likes this.
  9. Nov 17, 2018 #9 of 180
    jesrush

jesrush Member

Nov 6, 2015
    I'm going to try and find the original 500GB drive and pop it in to see what happens.

SalemCat likes this.
  10. Nov 17, 2018 #10 of 180
    Endymion_

Endymion_ Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Okay, good to hear that you at least got it going with your original hard drive. I'll try that myself.

But in my case, I am using a 4TB hard drive. It is actually the second 4TB drive I have paired with this same Bolt, the first was a Seagate 4TB which failed after about 6 months. I hadn't read all of the reports of failures before I bought and installed it. So when looking for a replacement I found this thread which recommended the WD40NPZZ. This is the first and only issue I have had since installing it.

Kickstart just does not work on this Bolt for some reason. At first I thought this could be indicative of another problem, but after googling around it appears that there are some TiVo Bolts that just don't do kickstart. Seems like a boneheaded design alteration for no good reason, especially when stuff like this happens.

11. Nov 17, 2018 #11 of 180
    SalemCat

SalemCat Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Well, DAM.

Thursday morning, Nov 15th, my TiVo Bolt with a WD40NPZZ is also frozen at "STARTING UP".

It was / is my wife's TiVo and boy is she angry.

I had noticed occasional pixilation in the last few months, but as it seemed to be on only one channel (I only tested a couple), I racked it up to signal issues.

Where is this "Kickstart" stuff ?

BTW, I had disabled "Parking" long ago.

And I do not know what HYDRA is.

In the meantime, I bought a used Roamio Plus (6 Tuners, 3TB) on eBay for $125.

I am no longer comfortable with the BOLT.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  12. Nov 17, 2018 #12 of 180
    ikelm

ikelm New Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Google - tivo kickstart codes weakness
    Should show up as first option. I would post a link but not familiar with forum rules as a new user.

Hydra is the newer tivo interface.

Not sure that has anything to do with the issue, just speculating.

SalemCat likes this.
  13. Nov 17, 2018 #13 of 180
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    SalemCat likes this.
  14. Nov 17, 2018 #14 of 180
    SalemCat

SalemCat Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    So....

Are we reaching a consensus that TiVo broke our 4TB Machines ?

BTW, my Premiere with 4TB is unaffected (so far).

I bought the 500GB BOLT new last Christmas, and immediately pulled the 500GB and installed a 4TB from central_valley_computer_parts_inc on eBay (good people).

All was good until November 15th.

Today I reinstalled the original 500GB HD, and can watch TV again.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  15. Nov 17, 2018 #15 of 180
    shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Every time you put a different hard drive in a bolt, the drive is formatted again. You will never be able to access the recordings on the previous hard drives that you removed, even if there is nothing wrong with them.

SalemCat likes this.
  16. Nov 17, 2018 #16 of 180
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    "Stuck" is a vague. Does the amber LED on the Bolt indicate it's receiving commands? Is the LED on the remote red, indicating the Bolt is not functioning enough to acknowledge remote commands, which makes the remote drop to IR mode?

krkaufman likes this.
  17. Nov 17, 2018 #17 of 180
    elorimer

elorimer Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Well, I'm 1200 miles away from my Bolt with a 4TB drive, and it is not reachable from the app, online.tivo or from the Roamio in the same network (which is reachable). So, in a month or so I'll find out if I have the same problem.

SalemCat likes this.
  18. Nov 17, 2018 #18 of 180
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There are no TE4 Premiere units and no reports of failures on any Roamio. Things do not look so good.

SalemCat likes this.
  19. Nov 17, 2018 #19 of 180
    Endymion_

Endymion_ Member

Sep 9, 2011
    I do not ordinarily use my TiVo remote because I use a Harmony remote, but I did use the TiVo remote when I was trying to troubleshoot. I don't remember it flashing red, but I manually dropped it to IR mode as per the instructions to enter Kickstart codes. It made no difference. Nothing would allow it to enter Kickstart mode. See here, and here, it looks like some Bolts just don't do Kickstart.

At any rate, once you get to the STARTING UP screen, the TiVo does not respond to the remote any longer.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 12:30 AM
    SalemCat likes this.
  20. Nov 17, 2018 #20 of 180
    SalemCat

SalemCat Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Well, from the factory, no.

But my Premiere with a 3.5" WD 4TB PURPLE AV WD40PURZ is a gem.

I own two BOLT units now, pretty much because I was PO'D when TiVo dropped support on my Series 2, which served my needs just fine !!

How long before they kill the Premieres ? Grrrrrrr.