Tivo Bolt + Tuning Adapter + TWC + Mini Setting up MoCa IN AN APARTMENT

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by shenanigans, Mar 3, 2016.

1. shenanigans

shenanigans New Member

Jun 27, 2012

Advertisements

Disclaimer: All of the MoCa related posts that I've read have referred to setting up in a house, where the person has the option to place the POE filter on the outside of their house. I'm in an apartment and don't have that option, hence why I'm writing a new thread

My Current Setup:

Coax cable from wall in living room ---> Splitter (MoCa Splitter) --> Prong 1 to tuning adapter, Prong 2 to Tivo Bolt

Tivo Bolt --> Ethernet cable to router (Internet is provided by AT&T, cable is provided by TWC)

This setup works fine for the tivo bolt, and I have no issues with the tuning adapter.

In the other room directly opposite the room the tivo resides in --> coax cable from wall ---> Tivo Mini

When I enable the tivo bolt as the MoCa network, when I plug in the Tivo Mini in the other room it is not able to connect to a moCa network. It gives a C33 error and the long list of troubleshooting steps (check the coax cable, check the moca settings, etc.)

The MocA settings on both Tivos are enabled and set to auto for the channel. I've also tried setting both to channel 15. I've also powercycled the router and both tivos.

My big question is how does the POE filter fit into all of this? Does the tuning adapter make it a different type of setup? Does being in an apartment where no splitters, other than the one I purchased myself, can be found? Does having a different internet provider than the cable provider make it impossible?

I do have an external MoCa adapter and a POE filter, but I don’t think the adapter is needed since the Bolt has an internal adapter. I have called CS, and no real help there. Hopefully there's someone out there who got this all to work in an apartment set up.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Who supplies the router and what model is it?

3. shenanigans

shenanigans New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    The router is from AT&T Uverse. I believe it's a PACE Gateway model.

4. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Besides answering Joe's questions, how is your internet supplied, via coax or is it DSL? Are you sure that the coax with the mini is connected to the same coax network as your Bolt? How many coax outlets are in your apartment?
    In a apartment, there is always a box/enclosure where your connection to TWC is supplied. You can either call and have TWC install a MoCA POE filter or just use encryption, until they come out and disconnect you for causing interference to their equipment and your neighbors and then deal with them regarding the filter.
    On most systems with Tuning Adapters, enabling MoCA causes significant levels of interference to the cable channels. For that reason, it is recommended that a MoCA POE/Whole Home DVR filter be placed on the TA's input.
    Edit: MoCA filters serve 2 functions, first to restrict the MoCA frequencies and network to your residence, encryption will restrict possible neighbors with a MoCA adapter from tapping into your network but is not necessary if a filter is properly placed. The other slight benefit is that the MoCA filter has a "reflective" quality which strengthens or enhances the MoCA signal.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  5. shenanigans

shenanigans New Member

Jun 27, 2012

Advertisements

1. My internet is DSL
    2. How would I find out if my mini is connected to the same coax network? But also, why would it be different? (Reminder, im in an apartment complex)
    3. There are only two coax outlets in my apartment. One in living room and one in bedroom
    4. For the box where the connect to TWC is...it almost looks like a coax cable that is connected to itself. Should I take it apart and add the POE filter?

6. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I am aware that you are in an apartment, I have owned them.
    2. There are probably numerous ways, but in your case, temporarily move the TA and Bolt to your bedroom location and see if your channels come in.
    3.Sometimes cable companies only connect however many TV's you have ordered and leave other outlets disconnected. In older apartments, sometimes there are leads to an old TV antenna.
    4. In most apartments, there is a common utility box/shed for cable and possibly Phone connections. These are rarely open to the tenants to prevent signal theft and possible vandalism. Your description? is a bit puzzling unless you mean a strait connection connected via a barrel connector. If that is the case then, assuming your 2 outlets are on the same system, if you pull the covers off of your coax outlets, you will likely find one of them with a 2 way splitter which is feeding a short length to the one outlet and a longer one going to the other outlet. The filter can go in place of the barrel connector or possibly on the input of the 2 way splitter hidden in your wall.

Regarding the MoCA settings on your Bolt. There are 2 options, you want the one that says, "create a MoCA network", not the one that says "connect to a MoCA network". Normally, assuming the 2 outlets are on a common coax connection it should connect and it sounds like you get the channel frequencies.
    If the coax has a common connection and you have the MoCA settings correct and you still can't get a MoCA connection to the Mini, double check your Tivo account and make sure the mini is there and activated. The next most likely issue is that splitter buried somewhere is not MoCA compatible. After that, it would be a MoCA problem with either the Bolt or mini.