Tivo Bolt+, Tuning adapter and washing clothes.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MachineX, Sep 20, 2018.

1. MachineX

MachineX New Member

Sep 20, 2018

Advertisements

So, I thought this was random, but I did tie it to the washing machine, and can duplicate the issue on demand.

Watching TV, normally ok.

Start the washing machine, and anytime it drains the following happens...

The Tivo will report that the tuning adapter is not connected, then 10-15 seconds later it will reconnect, and the process repeats. Every time the tuning adapter disconnects/connects, it will default all tuners to the first channel available in the lineup.

So, you lose several minutes of TV, and if anything was recording that gets interrupted.

I have tried several things:
    - Replaced all coax, splitters, etc.
    - Made sure there are no open connections.
    - Put both Tivo and Tuning adapter on APC Backup unit.
    - Put chokes on the power cables and USB connections on both Tivo and Tuning adapter.
    - Changed electrical plugs the Washing machine is connected to (via extension cord).
    - Charter/Spectrum has checked all the levels, and replaced the tuning adapter.

Nothing seems to help. I sometimes will leave the tuning adapter USB cable unplugged for a bit if I am watching a channel that does not require it. This leaves me to believe it is actually something with the tuning adapter.

My thought is I am getting some noise (generated from the washer) on the coax feed somehow and it causes the tuning adapter to soft reset or something. No lights go on/off on the tuning adapter, so it does not appear to be rebooting or locking up, just hiccuping long enough to cause the Tivo to notice the connection anomaly.

Any thoughts on how to isolate or block anything else to help?

No other issues with reception, internet, etc.

I am at my wits end trying to track down the cause and fix.

Thanks,
    MachineX

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    That’s interesting. My first though is an electrical issue as the drain cycle may draw extra power. I wouldn’t think that this would affect the tuning adapter though especially with the apc. I don’t see how the coax would be affected by the washer, but who knows.

3. MachineX

MachineX New Member

Sep 20, 2018
    My thought is the motor that drains the water is generating a rf signal, and it is somehow getting back to the tuning adapter via air or cable. Kind of similar to how certain cell phones will interrupt cable modems.

Just not sure how to block/prevent it, as all the cables/connections are verified.

4. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Tin foil. Works well as my hat. :p

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

I believe that it is the power dipping whenever those motors start up. Is the washing machine considered old?

I would use a UPS backup model that will support brownouts where it will draw more power to upgrade the power back to normal. APC call them "Smart Backup."

6. MachineX

MachineX New Member

Sep 20, 2018
    The washer is only a couple years old, a Kenmore High Efficiency front loader, so I doubt age is an issue.

As for the APC unit I am using it is a Backup 450 that I got a MicroCenter, so not a smart unit.