Tivo Bolt - Transfering & HD Upgrade

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Roranji Sutoratosu, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Roranji Sutoratosu

Roranji Sutoratosu New Member

Sep 19, 2018
    I can't seem to find reliable docs on this, I tried pytivo many times and did not have success.

Basically I want to retain my recording from the 1TB drive and save it back to the new 3TB drive after swap.

I transfer all the shows from Tivo desktop (mistake?) to pc. Swapped drive and tried to use pytivo to send it back. It sees the tivo (tried the pytivo debugger troubleshoot) but doesn't send back. From what I can tell, I'm not using hydra yet. Menu doesn't look like the new gui.

I still have my original HDD so I can swap it back and redo the transfer.

Any suggestions on where to start and what to try ? or different program

Thanks

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Did you try pulling them back from the Bolt?

3. Roranji Sutoratosu

Sep 19, 2018
    How do you pull them back from the Bolt ? through pc or from the Tivo device

4. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    There's a beta version of MFSTools 3.2 that should let you copy and expand the existing drive without losing anything.

5. Roranji Sutoratosu

Sep 19, 2018
    Ok ill check it out... i assume you copy with a pc ?

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    From My Shows on your TiVo, you should see your PC running pyTiVo at the bottom of the list. Select the PC and then pick the shows that you want to transfer from your PC to your TiVo.

Correct.

Scott

7. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    No, you cannot.

With a Bolt, it is too late to do anything at all with the original drive - those recordings are already lost unless you have a good copy that was already made on a different device BEFORE you swapped drives in the Bolt.

Based on my experience and many others, if the Bolt sees ANY different drive than the one that was in it at the last shutdown, it will format the drive before it does anything else. I have not personally used MFSTools with a Bolt - it may work to copy everything to a new drive and still keep the recordings, but that would ONLY be if the Bolt was NOT booted with a different drive between removing the old one and replacing it with the MFSTools copied one. The MFSTools copy must be able to fool it into believing that is the exact drive that was in there at the last shutdown.

All I am trying to do is convince you not to waste time to try an do anything with that original drive, or you will probably ALSO loose everything that is now on the drive that you currently have in the Bot. Hopefully you can find a way to salvage the program copies that you did make.

I was also under the impression that any Bolt with a new drive in it would first load the new TE4 software, and then you would need to downgrade it before you did anything else? Not sure why I am thinking that - just some foggy memory of something I read. But your original post does not sound like you had to do that?

First thing for you to do is make sure you are running TE3 - if you can see the pyTiVo share at the bottom of My Shows, it is TE3, but here is the absolute certain check: look at the Software version in your System Information. If it starts with a "20" it is TE3, and you should eventually be able to copy back any good recordings you have. If it starts with "21", then forget it. That is TE4, and you can NEVER copy anything back to that box unless you downgrade it to TE3.

OH, BE WORRIED ABOUT THIS TOO: In my testing of TE4, I had a few programs on a Bolt that had been copied back to it from a PC - they played fine on the TE3 Bolt and my S3. After converting that Bolt to TE4, those programs are totally dead to that Bolt!!!! I can still access them from the S3 or a different Bolt still running TE3, but NOT from the one running TE4. I know one of those programs was an mp4 file I had edited, but I think two of them were just .tivo files copied off and back with either pyTiVo or TiVo Desktop, but since I was not specifically testing for this, I just do not know for sure. I just want to warn you that if you ever do have programs on a box that have been copied down from a computer, and then upgrade that box to TE4, you may totally loose all those programs. More testing is needed on this, as I have not yet seen anyone else report the same experience.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  8. Roranji Sutoratosu

Sep 19, 2018
    Ok so i finally got everything hooked up, My Shows on tivo does not see pytivo. Pytivo is urnning and see's the Tivo. so this is pretty much same thing I got a few months ago.

upload_2018-9-22_23-21-32.png

9. Roranji Sutoratosu

Sep 19, 2018
    whats TE3 / TE4

10. Roranji Sutoratosu

Sep 19, 2018
    Version is 20.7.4.rc4-USC-11-849, think that is TE3 ?

11. Roranji Sutoratosu

Sep 19, 2018
    Ok, so for some reason Pytivo doesn't is looping on "loading show list". I rebooted the tivo and saw under my show "devices" and i was able to click into a show and start transfer. wonder if i can do multiple.. looks like I'm saved.

upload_2018-9-22_23-27-39.png

12. Roranji Sutoratosu

Sep 19, 2018
    Thanks for the help again, I dont remember seeing any docs on how to transfer things back.. this helped a lot.. life saver. I guess lesson learn from working with tivos... just get the big drive in the beginning and make regular backups.. I only switch to tivo so that my kids would have shows to watch when I switch providers to get best prices, having recording and living through outages,etc... else they raise hell.. lol..

13. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Glad you got it sorted out. And Yes, you can queue up multiple programs to transfer - they just get added to the ToDo list like any scheduled recording.

Roranji Sutoratosu likes this.
  14. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004
    I am getting a new Bolt next week, so I can't just take my HD out of the old one and put it in the new Bolt and everything is normal?

I think the answer is no, but just checking.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  15. Rkkeller

May 13, 2004
  16. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    You can use the drive, but you would have to run Clear & Delete Everything to "marry" it to the motherboard on the new Bolt and start over from scratch. The recordings are encrypted and the only way to access them is with the TiVo they were recorded on.

That's a 3.5" drive. Bolts use 2.5" drives.

Rkkeller likes this.
  17. Roranji Sutoratosu

Sep 19, 2018
    Right, If you have shows that you need to save, the only way is to use Tivo Desktop or Pytivo to transfer it off. I originally did not know about PyTivo so I only used tivo desktop to get it off. Because my house was renovated, I cancel fios for 6 months and just got fios back last week, hence the transferring of shows back.

You will need a 2.5, 3.5 requires you to cut the case for drive access.. I just didn't like something hanging out the box so I went with the internal 2.5 swap

Rkkeller likes this.
  18. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    No, that is not correct. The Bolt will automatically format any new drive under 4TB that it sees. You do not have to do anything to make that happen, and you cannot stop it.

If the drive is not the one that was in the Bolt when it was last shut down, everything on it will be lost.

19. Rkkeller

May 13, 2004
    I am glad you said that about the drive, I was going to order it tonight.

20. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    The Bolt will reformat any size new drive it is presented. It will not correctly recognize a formatted drive larger than 3 TB when it boots up on it.

What ggeseike was responding to was transplantting a drive formatted and used in a different Bolt in the new Bolt he was getting. I am not sure what the Bolt will do. It will either format the drive and the GS and pairing will have to be redone, erase the drive but keep the GS and pairing, or act like the older TiVos and boot up with a zero TSN number and not function properly until you run a C&D E which results in reformatting the drive.