TiVo Bolt Signal Issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jwort93, Jan 9, 2017.

1. jwort93

jwort93 Member

Dec 18, 2015

Advertisements

Hi TiVo Community!

A little over a year ago, I purchased a 500gb TiVo bolt. During that time, I used it without issue with my Time Warner Cable subscription. A few weeks back, I decided to try cutting the cord, and as a result, cancelled my TiVo subscription. Fast forward a few weeks, and I decided I would rather have cable again, so I signed up again with Time Warner and reactivated my TiVo with an annual subscription. This time, I have had nothing but issues with trying to get the TiVo to work correctly with my cable subscription.

The TiVo no longer seems to be able to get a stable lock on any channels. I've had multiple Time Warner technicians come out to try and fix the issue, to no avail. We are able to get the cable card activated, but the channels range in quality from extremely blocky to non-existant (Searching for Signal (v52)).

At first we thought it was a signal issue, but the technicians have run many tests, all which look fine. In addition, a cable box provided by Time Warner has no issues whatsoever. One thing we noticed while troubleshooting, is that the TiVo can pick up no signal whatsoever when connected directly to the wall, but when a three way coax splitter (3.5db, 7db, 7db) is connected and the TiVo is connected to a 7db output, it will receive some signal on a few channels, albeit extremely blocky, but reports no signal whatsoever when connected to the 3.5db output on the splitter.

When connected to the 7db output on the splitter, it connects to QAM 256, and on the channels that do receive some picture, the SNR is usually around 27-29db, with a signal strength of around 60-67%.

This is all with the TiVo NOT connected through a tuning adapter.

Any ideas about what could be causing these symptoms? Has the tuner in the TiVo gone bad?

Thanks!
    Joe

2. jwort93

jwort93 Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Bit of an update, today I installed a 6dB coax attenuator on the end of the 7db output of the splitter, and I am now getting most of my channels, and my SNR actually went up to 30 on most channels. The signal strength went up to 75% on most channels as well. I have 9dB and 12dB attenuators being delivered soon, so I am hoping one of the two will fully alleviate my signal issues with the rest of my channels. It really doesn't make sense that installing these boost both of those readings though, but I won't argue with it haha.

3. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    What signal levels are you getting on your modem

4. jwort93

jwort93 Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Is there a way I can find this out without calling my cable company? I have my own modem, it's an Arris SB6141.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

In your browser, enter the address 192.168.100.1 and a Status display should come up after a few seconds. Scroll down to see each channel. There are Power Levels and SNR for each channel.

Check the bottom of Product Information for Up Time.

jwort93 likes this.
  6. jwort93

jwort93 Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Thanks! I attached my signal information from my modem. The uptime is 14 hours, but that is just because I restarted it yesterday evening. The modem is connected to the 3.5dB output of the 3-way splitter.

Modem_Signal.png

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Looks ok to me.

8. jwort93

jwort93 Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Yeah, that is what the TWC technicians told me too. I'm hoping a slightly stronger attenuator will fix my few remaining channel issues.