Tivo Bolt sale during holiday season?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by quackman, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Oct 2, 2018 #1 of 12
    quackman

quackman New Member

Sep 28, 2012

Advertisements

I'm hoping to purchase a Bolt VOX for cable TV by the end of this year. Will there likely be a sale of some kind around Black Friday or Christmas? I don't know the history of Tivo sales, so I wonder if there is usually a sale in past years around this time of year?

2. Oct 3, 2018 #2 of 12
    series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Yes, Thanksgiving week is historically a traditional sales time with discounted refurbed units also available, although the very best deals the last couple of years have occurred at random times and been for existing customers to transfer Lifetime service from old TiVo series 3 and Premiers to a new Bolt for $99 (plus the retail price of the Bolt).

3. Oct 3, 2018 #3 of 12
    quackman

quackman New Member

Sep 28, 2012
    I see, thanks for the information. I currently have a Roamio Pro, so I'm still on the fence about upgrading. I'm getting a 4K TV in a few days, and so thinking it would be nice to have the latest Bolt for the faster processor, etc.. But there is so much negative talk about Hydra, I'm not sure it's worth it. I definitely won't pay the full hardware and lifetime price, but if there is a great sale, I might bite.

4. Oct 3, 2018 #4 of 12
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    You can downgrade to the old TiVo UI if you don't like Hydra, but you will lose any recordings when you downgrade.

quackman likes this.
  5. Oct 3, 2018 #5 of 12
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

Advertisements

he could downgrade before he records anything

quackman and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  6. Oct 3, 2018 #6 of 12
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    If you buy, and you are handy, consider getting the cheapest Bolt you can with the 500gb HD (if available) and then upgrade the HD yourself. More cost effective this way. And there's plenty og guidance and help available on the forum.

quackman likes this.
  7. Oct 3, 2018 #7 of 12
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There isn't much 4k content on cable right now. However, I bought the Mini VOX, rolled it back to TE3, and use it with my current Roamio. If I buy a 4k TV I could use it for streaming. As for pricing, I would wait for any BF sales.

quackman likes this.
  8. Oct 3, 2018 #8 of 12
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    If you look on Ebay, there are quite a few new in the box Bolt's with lifetime at discounted prices. Many folks took advantage of the trade in sale for older Tivos and are now selling the new Bolts at considerable discounts from retail Bolts...which run about $750. Also any of the newer Tivos, Bolts or Roamio series can be upgraded to the VOX software buy simply purchasing a VOX remote for about $50 or less.

quackman likes this.
  9. Oct 3, 2018 #9 of 12
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    Login Template Title website still up to upgrade without vox remote

quackman likes this.
  10. quackman

quackman New Member

Sep 28, 2012
    I wish I knew how long the Bolt with cablecard will be relevant and not become obsolete (don't we all). It makes me a little nervous to invest in new Tivo hardware and a lifetime subscription with all the talk about an uncertain future. This is another reason I need a very large discount before making a purchase!

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'll summarize my thread on this subject. A TiVo with TE4 that has been downgraded to TE3 "may" not appear on that web site or "may" not have the upgrade app. The VOX remote method works.

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I can understand your position, but I believe that newer and better "stuff" will happen sooner rather than later. You're buying a piece of hardware, not adopting a child. Be happy now. Then be happy later. :)

BTW, last BF I bought a new Roamio OTA with TE4. I do not have any regrets. But I'm old.

quackman and osu1991 like this.